Jump to content

Buying from Private Individual Out-of-State


Recommended Posts

My wife and I live in New Jersey. We are looking at a used RV being sold by the owner in a neighboring state. If we decide to buy it, can anyone tell me how we go about registering it so that we can drive it home?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most states will allow you to drive for 30 days using a copy of the sales receipt that is dated. Some states will issue a temp. for transit, but for a cost. I'd contact DOT of the two states involved and ask them as they will be happy to tell you what their rules are.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure



Link to comment
Share on other sites

What others said: contact the DMV for your home state (and possibly the state you're buying from) and explain the situation and ask what to do. It will vary from state to state.


When I was living in South Carolina I bought my travel trailer from an individual in Florida. The seller was nice enough to leave the Florida plates on the trailer until I got it home, where I had 30 days to register it and put my own tags on. I registered it right away though, so I could mail the seller's plates back to him. In Florida, the temporary tag would have been very pricey, so I saved money this way.


Life is too short not to spend it doing something you love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University



RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

RVTravel.com Logo

  • Create New...