Changed Firewall Pass-Thru

SuiteSuccess

Changed the pass thru on my 2006 Volvo today, due to persistent air leaks after changing o-rings and grommets three times. Wasn't terribly difficult but some tips for those contemplating it. Old part number no longer valid, updates to new part made in Mexico. Take plenty of pictures of engine side and cab side because airlines and sensors line up differently. On mine tank A from brake valve is green 3/8" line, tank B is red 3/8" line , park brake line from under truck is orange 3/8" line, and stop light sensor SLS is black 1/4" line. Appropriate sensors on cab side have to "line" up. Also there were six Weatherpak connections under my dash so be sure you note which connection belongs to which sensor. Mine were numbered 17, 21, 23, 24, and a tan flat plug, and purple flat plug. 23 and 17 were not connected on my truck. Finally with the new part number, you will need two 1/4" nylon plugs and three 3/8" for unused ports to prevent air leaks. Guess what? They aren't included in the part packaging--separate purchase item. I had to drive 30 miles to get the 3/8" plugs after I had everything replaced and was ready to connect airlines. One other tip, engine side has 6 torx screws to remove and the big electrical block has a single screw in the center to separate it accessible by spreading the wires. You must separate this block and move the engine side out of the way to get to the right hand frame torx screw. Hope this helps.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Old part on my truck was #20510429. New one from Volvo dealer #22646187 but looks like the one on eBay. Attached is engine side of my old. Note connecting"T's" are not "T's" at all like new one. Believe your eBay one would work. I paid close to that price at dealer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite,

Two or three years ago while chasing air leaks, I found one of the 1/4" lines on my pass -thru had a "small" leak. Got it fixed only to find the one next to it was now leaking. Messed around with this for several days, then ordered a new pass-thru, plus new dash valves while I was at it. I later read here on the forum, about the repair some here had done, and thought "man, I could have done that". Glad now I replaced the pass-thru, because the new one was just like the old one!! Much easier to replace. Glad you got it done. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Sounds like something for Carl to demonstrate at Hutch. Sorry the O rings did not fix your problem.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad,

Would be happy to pop the hood and discuss with anyone who contemplates this repair. Will save my old pass through to show the new configuration. Gonna take the collets out and get a good light into the connectors to see why the quick connects continued leaking despite new collets and o rings.

Oletimer,

Replaced my dash valves last year. That was a bigger job getting into the dash. Followed RandyA's write up. Now if someone could put me on a schematic of how to add a trolley valve. That's a project I've had on the back burner for a year.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived