Gelcoat Issues

Ski

We looked at a 2003 Dolphin 36' yesterday. When we drove up to it the first thing that caught our eye was the two tone look. The slide outs looked yellowish and the balance of the coach was a chalky white. Really turned us off. Suggestions on what I can do to remove the yellowish look of the slides and bring back the white. Would like to have uniform shiny appearance If not, we will pass on this unit.

This question is also posted on the National Forum IRV2.

Thanks,

Ski

Sounds like oxidation, and possibly a different mix for hull and slides. Suspect the Hull was the same color as the slides before the 13 years of UV and no wax.

Depending on the quality (thickness) of the gelcoat it can possibly be buffed back. I suspect, again, that there's a different formula on the hull and the slides. May be "it is what it is".

Can't tell from here without doing some "testing".

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Gelcoat is actually a part of the fiberglass. Gelcoat will vary according to manufacturer. Cheaper/lower the quality the thinner the Gelcoat. So there may not be a lot of Gelcoat to work with. Long the problem will keep coming back. If it was mine and money was not a great concern I would be looking at a full paint job.

regards

at one time i had my rv put on the for sale lot. , they did some kind of acid bath, with removed the oxidation, looked almost like new. year later it looks like it did prior. So i guess in a nut shell you can get the shinny look but repeat process every year.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Appreciate the replies. We will pass on this coach. Sounds like the only permanent fix is a paint job. As nice as this coach is, with the exception of the exterior, we wouldn't want to put that much into it.

Thanks again,

Ski

Anything that removes the oxidation but doesn't replace the now removed surface will only be temporary and require periodic repeating and each time you are removing some of the surface material. The only good and permanent answer would be paint.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived