DISH equipment protection fee

As a new convert to DISH, we've been offered free equipment protection for 6 months. When that expires, an $8 monthly fee will be incurred unless we cancel the coverage. As in all insurance, I realize there is comfort vs risk. But I would be curious how frequently users on this forum used the DISH plan, or if they felt it was a waste of money.

When I had my RV registered for DNS with Dish (a couple of years ago), my Protection Plan was cancelled as Dish would not provide the plan for house with wheels.

At the time, I when back and analyzed how much I had used the plan versus the cost if I had not had it. I was about a break even.

But since then I have yet to have a billable service with Dish. I did have to pay for shipping when I got extra remotes for the Hopper that would have been covered by the Protection Plan. And Iam about to order extra remotes for my Hopper 3.

So I would say that the Protection Plan is insurance against $95 service calls that Dish might not do anyways.

The equipment is given to you. There is no expense and if it fails, it will be replaced. The most cost will be the shipping.

I pay for the protection plan because I own some of my receivers and without it I'd be stuck when they break and that has happened a few times now.

If you are using Dish owned receivers the plan is less likely to be a good deal as the usual Dish repair guy isn't going to do much wiring work on an RV but it will cover the antenna if it gets damaged.

Archived