Dash Lights/Power

JPL

In the process of testing the Pride yesterday IRT the air tanks, my dash never came to life. In the past it would come to life 2 or 3 minutes after I started it. No dash lights ,no turn signals, no brake lights, no AC but it would come on after awhile. But not yesterday. I stopped by Volvo this morning and they said for $114 a hr they would look for the problem but they couldn't look at it till next tues. We want to be ECR in route next wen. So my question or questions is has anybody ever had any issue like this and where should I start looking? Any help/hints is much needed. Thanks Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat, your dash only "comes to life" after you start your truck? What part of the "dash" are you talking about? The dash should all come alive before your truck even gets started. Turn the key on, everything clicks and pops, gauges test themselves and once all that has stopped it is ready to start. Am I not understanding correctly?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We took the 2 covers that enclose the steering off pulled the key switch apart. got to the elictrical pins. Randy took a multi meter and checked the pins to see if there seemed to be something wrong. After checking the pins it seemed tha the electrical impulses weren't going as they should. Called Volvo and they had a switch in stock. Before we left the house we took 2 screws out and the electrical part that had the pins came out. Part #8159904.So when we got to volvo we got the switch and thrn aske if he had the pin part. He did.price $57 instead of $115. If we had bought the whole switch my old key wouldn't work so it would have to be rekeyed. More money. So I got out of there with the cheaper(?) part. Got it home put some of that electrical grease on the pins installed it and tested it. Turned it off and on 10 times and everything came to life on the dash. there must have been some kind of short that wouldn't let everything on. I had Tack speedo and ac fan. In the past sometimes it would work and sometimes it would take a few minutes before it would come on. A minor thing but a bear to figure out whst it was. Randy new what to look for with that meter. I really din't have a clue. ut the good news is we are back on the line. Also we road tested The Pride IRT the air tanks. Everything was sat.

I hit the post button to soon!

MrSeas We were checking grounds when we were in th wiring. There seemed to be no ground problems.

Jim & Wilma, Our truck is a 98 610 Volvo. We will have its 5th birthday with us the 25 of May. 669k miles

Big5er Yes the dash would wait 2-3 minutes before it would come to life. The Tack, speedo, ac fan, nothing on the dash would work until it wanted to. The truck would start but no gages would show anything. I could start the engine and it would run 2 or 3 minutes before the dash would come to life. Sometimes it would come to life when I would start the truck but most of the time it would wait. Yesterday when we were testing the air tanks it never came to life. So this afternoon Randy came over and in 2 1/2 hours it tested sat after we installed the new pin set. Man I can hardly wait to get on the road next week. Everyday we get a little more done. To all Thanks! Pat

The Old Sailor

Good deal Pat. I was going to hazard a look at the schematics for the item(s) common to the symptoms. You guys whipped it pretty quick - good job. Safe travels.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Turned it off and on 10 times and everything came to life on the dash. there must have been some kind of short that wouldn't let everything on.

Not to be technical, but it must have been some kind of open if no juice was flowing. Open circuits are "bad" in a sense that the blinky lights don't blink, but short circuits are truly bad as that's how fires happen.

If you unplug your vacuum cleaner and stare at the plug, that's an open circuit. If some random component decides to chew through power like it's your (engaged) starter, that's a short circuit.

Archived