New Way to charge your batteries...

coachmac9

Good to get in shape but not very efficient as folks that aren't fat will need to eat more food to have the energy to run this, not so good for a lot of poor places.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

This is a great product! Almost anyone with reasonable health can pedal a bicycle for an hour (if that's what they really want/need to do). My brother-in-law has a degenerative lung condition from a drug prescribed to help his heart condition. He rides his stationary bike an hour every day. He is on oxygen and overweight, and has several medical problems from agent orange, but he sticks to his daily "ride".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I wonder just how many amp hours the bike would produce when peddled by a reasonably fit person for 1 hour.

A world class professional cyclist generates somewhere between 400 and 500 watts for one hour; with that one hour being an all out, nothing left in the bank type of effort. A highly trained amateur bike racer, somewhere around 300 - 350 watts for an hour. A reasonably fit non-bike racer probably 200 watts or less for an hour. Again these are all out efforts, go take a nap when done and don't ask me to do it again tomorrow!

Assuming 100% efficiency the most this machine can produce is what the cyclist puts into it.

One of the most important things I picked up in college was when the second semester statistics' professor walked into the room and wrote on the blackboard, "In God we trust." Then proceeded to teach the class as usual. The professor said nothing about what he had wrote on the blackboard, and we didn't ask. At the end of the class he added one more line to "In God we trust," that line was "all others must have data."

A world class professional cyclist generates somewhere between 400 and 500 watts for one hour; with that one hour being an all out, nothing left in the bank type of effort. A highly trained amateur bike racer, somewhere around 300 - 350 watts for an hour. A reasonably fit non-bike racer probably 200 watts or less for an hour. Again these are all out efforts, go take a nap when done and don't ask me to do it again tomorrow!

Assuming 100% efficiency the most this machine can produce is what the cyclist puts into it.

One of the most important things I picked up in college was when the second semester statistics' professor walked into the room and wrote on the blackboard, "In God we trust." Then proceeded to teach the class as usual. The professor said nothing about what he had wrote on the blackboard, and we didn't ask. At the end of the class he added one more line to "In God we trust," that line was "all others must have data."

So, for us RV'ers, assuming a couple and both of them peddled for an hour each a day it seems reasonable they could produce about 20 amp hours or 240 watts to charge or recharge their 12V batteries. I'm assuming they would not want to be exhausted at the end of the hour. That would run their lights in the evening and keep their cell phones charged. If they wanted to watch a few hours of over-the-air TV they would need to ride more than an hour apiece.

A plus, would be it would help them stay fit.

On the other hand, for about $300 or less you can buy a couple of 100 watt solar panels and get a lot more energy.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived