Floor tiles popping up

Al and Deb

Hello all.

We are new to the site and to full timing. We are ready to trade in our Class C for a diesel pusher more suitable to full timing.

We have been looking for quite awhile and know the features we want. We are looking at a unit that meets all our requirements. It needs a few things which the dealer will take care of except the one that concerns us most.

The ceramic floor has cracked grout and a few loose tiles. We don't see signs of water damage and would probably have an inspection done.

Would you run away or is this sometimes a reasonable repair?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Resetting and grouting tile is not a big job but finding matching tile is very difficult sometimes. We had tile damage in our house and the tile could not be matched. The only alternatjve was to replace all of it. The fact it is broken probably means the floor is moving. If it is fixed it may not last. Tile will break with just a little movement. A membrane under the tile will allow some minor movement but often RV builders cheap out and don't use it. Our Teton has tile in the kitchen and we had broken tiles. We searched and eventually found a tile that is close. Removing the broken tile was very difficult because they used liquid nail to glue it down. I don't think most do that. Since you said some tiles were loose it doesn't sound like they did that.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

First, welcome to the forums! We are pleased that you have chosen to join us and do hope that you become a regular contributor here.

On the tile issue, the fact that the dealer won't repair that is bound to have some reason behind it and that seems to me is an early warning signal. If the tiles are loose, lift some of them and look to see what is below as it may tell you why they came loose. I would not only examine them very closely, but I would use a pen knife to probe the underlay for soft spots that indicate water damage. When there is damage that the dealer will not correct, I would insist the dealer tell my why they choose not to do that repair.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks so much for the replies. That is what we thought also. The dealer has agreed to a new windshield and 8 new tires. Their shop doesn't do tile but they will get an estimate from a local outfit on repair and a complete floor replacement. We will have to pay for it if we purchase.

There are 3 tiles (or partial tiles) in an area about 2' x 3' that are popping. I think they can be lifted without breaking so searching for matching tile wouldn't be an issue. The rest of the tile floor appears to be in good condition but we would have it all regrouted.

The pen knife idea is good. If there had been water damage, would it have come from above or below the subfloor?

If there had been water damage, would it have come from above or below the subfloor?

While it could be from either direction, it would have to have gotten in under the tile in order to cause this problem and usually that is true for water to damage the floor as it has to stay wet for some time for damage to take place. It wouldn't hurt to examine the under side of the floor of the slide, but I'd doubt that is where the problem is.

This conversation also makes me wonder if you have had the RV inspected professionally? There is great risk in doing the inspection yourself because even experienced RV folks can get emotionally involved to where we want the RV and so try to see it as a good one, when a professional might not. I would never recommend buying a used RV without some solid advice from experienced inspections by a professional or at least by a third party with extensive RV experience. I don't know what your background is, but I paid a pro to check my last used RV before purchase, even though I have many years of RV experience. At the minimum, take the time to print out this inspection check list and go completely through this RV using it. I would also want an opinion from a trusted truck mechanic.

Thanks, Kirk. Very helpful.

We had a pop up in the 80s, a very used Class B until about 5 years ago and now a Class C bought new. We don't consider ourselves very knowledgable and not at all when it comes to the complications of a 10 year old DP. Fortunately, we will be at Boot Camp in July.

My background is construction and I've had experience with many types of flooring but only in structures that don't move. Sometimes floor tiles pop due to something as simple as a bad mix of adhesive or freezing temps. But in an RV I suspect the stress of driving could also be a cause.

We have that checklist and will be using it next week when we return for a test drive. Once we are satisfied that the obvious defects can be resolved, we will have an inspection. Do you know of a good I nspector in the Ft Worth area?

I was hoping the RV inspector also did the engine but from your comments it doesn't sound like it. Our SIL is a diesel mechanic but he is in NJ so we probably need to find someone local. The engine is a Cat C9 and would appreciate any suggestions of inspections.

Again, thanks for the help.

when setting floor tiles in area where undermovement is possible like a MH use a product called ** mega lite** thin set.its 3 times the cost of regular but

really fortifies the tile set against cracking/movement

In my a opinion a dealer of any sort is not very intelligent to leave a used for sale MH with loose tiles for customers to pick apart?

A good respectable dealer would have repaired such before presenting for sale

Thanks dontrump. Will look into that product.

We are looking at coaches approximately 10 years old that are listed in the $100-125k range.

We are very surprised at the dealerships we've been to so far and what they are NOT doing and what they haven't done.

Agree 100% the dealers should have these coaches ready to show. So far that is not what we are seeing. We realize the units are older but it is still a lot of money. We are beginning to think that we have to do a lot of clean up and some repairs ourselves.

Unfortunately, we want to trade in our current unit so we have to shop at a dealer.

Thanks!

Thanks dontrump. Will look into that product.

We are looking at coaches approximately 10 years old that are listed in the $100-125k range.

We are very surprised at the dealerships we've been to so far and what they are NOT doing and what they haven't done.

Agree 100% the dealers should have these coaches ready to show. So far that is not what we are seeing. We realize the units are older but it is still a lot of money. We are beginning to think that we have to do a lot of clean up and some repairs ourselves.

Unfortunately, we want to trade in our current unit so we have to shop at a dealer.

Thanks!

your welcome.It too amazes me that dealers show broken and in poor repair units for sale. makes no sense to me at all

Do you know of a good I nspector in the Ft Worth area?

I was hoping the RV inspector also did the engine but from your comments it doesn't sound like it.

The inspector that I used to suggest has retired and moved away so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the current ones. I did a search online and found three. RV Inspection Connection Vehicle Prebuy Inspection Service Quality Mobile RV

In addition, I believe that Blue Moon Mobile RV also does inspections and I have heard good reports on them. I believe that the majority of mobile RV service techs will do an inspection, but you need to call and make sure. I'd hesitate to go by the opinion of an RV inspector alone on the drive-train unless I knew that the inspector has special training in that area. I would want an oil test done on the engine oil and if possible the transmission fluid as well.

Thanks, Kirk. We called several of the inspectors this morning. We have a few details pending with the dealer but once they are straightened out will probably go with RV Inspection Connection. We would like to do the oil analysis before paying for the inspection but that may prove to be too difficult.

This has been very helpful information. Thanks again.

Just an update:

We decided not to purchase the Motorhome with the popping floor tiles. It also had other issues.

Your comments about the dealer and the condition of the units for sale made us think more carefully and played a part in our decision. Thanks!

We are looking at another unit that we like as much and the difference between dealers is like night and day.

Remember not to get attached to a unit you look at. There are always others out there.

BTW - worry about a popped tile, but if it is cracked, don't worry. We have had stove cover fall and put a couple of cracks in tile, other things have dropped (panic stops will move things you didn't know would move) and have caused hairline cracks. In all cases, it is impact, no movement of the tile, so we don't worry. After 10 yrs, we are just going to keep her running until time to hang up the keys, we know all of her little peculiarities.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived