Power Converter

AlCherry

I went out to do my monthly run of my genset and power up the 5er. Batteries are flat. Ran some simple tests on power. I have 120 in the converter, but only about 2 -3 volts out.

I'm running a Power Max PM 3-75. It is about 3 years old, out of warranty.

Researching Power Max, they seem like a good company out of Florida. I know opinions on power converters are probably like opinions on oil and tires, but is there a better company than Power Max or just go with them?

Thanks ahead for your replies.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

Out of the RV, on the bench, nothing hooked to it. I'm looking at the WFCO WF 9875 also. About $40 more than the Power Max. Another question would be is do I need a 75 amp converter, or would a smaller one work?

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

Check for a blown fuse inside before condemning the unit, sometimes these are not easily accessible.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

A lower output converter would work as long as it was capable of supplying all of your 12V loads with some left to charge the batteries. But higher is generally better as RV builders are not well known for putting in things which are more than needed.

I am wondering if you have looked at your batteries yet? If you had a bad battery it could account for the problems you have. Did you measure the voltage out of the converter with 120V supply and no load attached to the output? Do your batteries have the proper electrolyte levels? A battery that has a shorted cell will take out the 12V power system and most converters do have some type of internal protection for such problems. If they didn't have it then a shorted battery would also destroy the converter due to excessive current load.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I checked the batteries, got them up to full charge and they are holding. The converter just decided to die. It happens. I communicated with power max in florida. He ran me through some simple tests. Yup, DOA. I bought a new one. Case closed.

We had a heavy thunderstorm roll through last week and had a very close lightning strike that flashed the lights, and I'm wondering if that blew it out.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

Good that you found it, Al. I always like to check just to be sure batteries are good before one spends too much time/money on the converter, just because battery problems are more common and they are more easily checked.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've learned that when it comes to electronics whatever, check the power (batteries) first. An old story: I was in Dallas some years ago, racing, and my bike started swapping cylinders and running bad after two shifts. I changed the ignition, plugs, wires, coil, ran the wiring harness, nada, nothing helped. Turned out it was the battery. It had voltage, but no amps. It wouldn't run the computers and the electric/air shifter at the same time. Lesson learned.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

• 2 weeks later...

Archived