How to get trailer from Toronto to west coast?

The travel trailer I'm interested in buying is in the Quebec area.. the west coast dealer says it is too costly for them to bring it out to the west coast. They ask if I can go there to pick it up... which is too hard for us with a dog and baby (the whole point of me buying a RV, so we don't have to find pet-friendly hotel each time).

Can anyone suggest how to get a 23ft trailer to Vancouver or anywhere near WA, OR, or CA ?

Could this be a gig for someone on this forum? or better to hire a professional company to do this?

The travel trailer I'm interested in buying is in the Quebec area..

It is so unique that you can't find something similar already in the Pacific Northwest? Washington and Oregon are "saturated" with travel trailers with several manufacturers right there on the West coast so transportation costs would be very minimal.

Good day, RVdreaming.

And welcome to the forum.

Although I'm not sure how active they are in Canada, try https://www.uship.com/. You might find somebody there that may be of help.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael for the suggestion.

After watching a few episodes of Shipping Wars, I get pretty scared to have these guys transport anything :(

It is so unique that you can't find something similar already in the Pacific Northwest? Washington and Oregon are "saturated" with travel trailers with several manufacturers right there on the West coast so transportation costs would be very minimal.

Thanks, can you suggest anything else like a 23ft TT weighing around 3500lbs ?

Thanks, can you suggest anything else like a 23ft TT weighing around 3500lbs ?

Sure! Off the top of my head.. what about a choice of 5 different 20' rigs between 2550 and 2785lbs? Do you have a price range in mind? LOT's of lites and micro lights around that would fit in that range. The Forest River R-Pods just came to mind because they are made in Oregon and have some pretty cool features.. like an outdoor pop up lid "garage" with kitchen.

For something a little more "homey" and durable for longer trips, Northwood has a nice little nash that runs 22'4" @ 3880lbs. They have a great reputation and are made in the PNW. Different price range, but much better living. They even do "build your own" so you could fudge the weight around.

On edit: Take a look at the Forest River Surveyor 201RBS. VERY livable space, but about 500lbs more than you asked for, but also has a slide which really opens things up for very little overhead... 24' 5"... nice sized tank capacities.

Sure! Off the top of my head.. what about a choice of 5 different 20' rigs between 2550 and 2785lbs? Do you have a price range in mind? LOT's of lites and micro lights around that would fit in that range. The Forest River R-Pods just came to mind because they are made in Oregon and have some pretty cool features.. like an outdoor pop up lid "garage" with kitchen.

For something a little more "homey" and durable for longer trips, Northwood has a nice little nash that runs 22'4" @ 3880lbs. They have a great reputation and are made in the PNW. Different price range, but much better living. They even do "build your own" so you could fudge the weight around.

On edit: Take a look at the Forest River Surveyor 201RBS. VERY livable space, but about 500lbs more than you asked for, but also has a slide which really opens things up for very little overhead... 24' 5"... nice sized tank capacities.

Yarome, these are great options.. thank you... are you in RV sales?

The R-Pods look great.. but just not big enough to compare.

The Nash 17K looks solidly constructed... I'm just doubting the weight numbers based on the materials used and multiple dealers posting different numbers weighing up to 4400 lbs dry. ?? it would be awesome if it really came in under 3900lbs.

What about the Airstream Sport 22FB ?

Might there be additional issues "importing" a unit from Canada? Customs, import duties, etc.

Lenp

Yes, I think so... that's why I was thinking to either pick up at the BC dealer or have transported to BC so I can imported into US. It's negligible customs and duty taxes (something like less than 2.5%)... thanks to NAFTA

are you in RV sales?

What about the Airstream Sport 22FB ?

:lol: No no no. Not. Have never been. Never will be. ;) I just pulled up a couple of PNW manufacturers I'm personally familiar with to show there are any number of options around there that might fit the bill for you. Lance is another manufacturer.. I believe out of California.. that you see a lot of that have a very good reputation and several light weight trailers you might look at.

I assume the weight limitation is due to your tow vehicles max tow limits? It might be helpful to know what your running.

Sorry about the Nash. I was just "glancing" around quickly and mistakenly read the axle weight (gross dry weight - hitch weight). I was surprised myself at the time as they are typically known to be rather heavy little units. My mistake.

I do really like the little Airstream you mentioned. My only concern there would be the max cargo capacity of 866lbs. Subtract propane, water and batteries.. that doesn't leave a whole lot left over. It's cute though and I've always loved Airstream's aesthetics.

I AM quite partial to the Surveyor Sport. That's actually what I've been full timing in since 2012. A bit larger model and 'quite' extensively modified, but the living space and amenities are similar. I agree about the R-Pods. Too cramped for me, but you never know what someone else's comfort level might be. My current rig is about as small as I would go traveling as a single, but I've seen 2 adults, 2 children and 2 large dogs in much smaller in seemingly complete comfort.

There are a ton of options in the range you're looking for, though. Those folks over there are some "campin fools" (not meant in the least bit derogatorily) so at any given time it's not difficult to find great deals on like new 1 or 2 year old rigs.

The R-Pods look great.. but just not big enough to compare.

We looked at an R-Pod and even attempted to deal with the local dealer but made little progress and were talked out of pursuing it further by one of our neighbors who owned one. They found it OK for longer stays but not good for use when traveling. Too much set-up and take-down.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived