Dash Cameras

lenp

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread on dash cameras. The thread I was looking at is now locked so I will start another.

I ordered a refurbished Garmin Dashcam 20 from Amazon for $145. Received it Monday. Had looked at the cheaper units and decided on a Garmin based on some of the reviews not being very good for many of the cheaper units. Figured I would spend a little more and be happier with a unit from a known manufacturer.

So far I am pleased with the unit. Video quality is pretty good and you can read a license plate at 20-25 feet. Beyond that - no way. But I doubt any of the cheaper units could do better. I have uploaded a short clip (about 20MB) to my website if anyone cares to download it for review .http://rvroamin.com/9-20-15/Louisiana/GrandIsle/DashCam20.mpg

It clearly shows a license plate just after crossing the bridge - pause the video just before passing the truck and check out how clear the plate is. Ten feet farther away and it is just a blur.

I had to convert the original AVI file to MPG before my web host would accept it but the quality of the video remained the same.

The DashCam 20 takes about four minute clips and a 32G SD card will get you about 8 hours of video before it begins to record (write) over old data. It has an event sensor that automatically saves three of the segments (before, during, after the event) with protected status to preserve them for you. It also has GPS that keeps a track of your position and speed built in as you can see on the bottom of the display. It has a snapshot function you can take photos with as well.

Only negative so far is the AVI format. My movie editor will not accept the codec used. Guess it is time to upgrade that too.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We looked at dash cams about 6 months ago and ended up buying a Black Box G1W. We feel it is an interim solution while the industry shakes out. We rejected the Garmin for the sole reason we couldn't turn off it recording our speed. Not that we speed, we generally putter around 60-65, but as a "just in case" also we didn't want anything that recorded audio, another "just in case". In this sue happy society we felt it was at least some protection.

Still running two G1W series dashcams, a Spytec G1WH in the motorhome and a Black Box G1WC in the toad. I am using Sandisk class 4 32GB microSD cards in both, since I learned the hard way that a Sandisk class 10 was too fast for the chipset. Last week we were in the mountains of southern California and it was very dry and in the 20s, so both dashcams fell off the windshields. That was a new one. Anyway, the dashcams are working for us.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Might want to some some research on if dash cam video is allowable as evidence in court.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We looked at dash cams about 6 months ago and ended up buying a Black Box G1W. We feel it is an interim solution while the industry shakes out. We rejected the Garmin for the sole reason we couldn't turn off it recording our speed. Not that we speed, we generally putter around 60-65, but as a "just in case" also we didn't want anything that recorded audio, another "just in case". In this sue happy society we felt it was at least some protection.

I want to ride with you guys! <G> Sounds like there might be some "interesting comments" as we go "flying" down the road! <LOL> Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Might want to some some research on if dash cam video is allowable as evidence in court.

Rich --- Even if they are not allowed in court ( I have no idea if they are) the mere existence would probably cause the "other" party to stick more closely to the "truth". :P Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Bill,

I am interested in you comment "a Sandisk class 10 was too fast for the chipset" as I put a Class 10 Sandisk 32G into Black Box and didn't have any problems. How do they manifest themselves? Thanks

A write error and then the dashcam shuts down. An intermittent issue that happens with some dashcams and other devices that use the same chipset as the G1W, including the SJ 4000 Gopro clone. Some found a brand change is enough to solve it, but going with a class 4 or 6 card works for me.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Rich --- Even if they are not allowed in court ( I have no idea if they are) the mere existence would probably cause the "other" party to stick more closely to the "truth". :P Dennis

And if not them, certainly their adjuster......

Multiple levels to this game.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I just ordered a Black Box G1W-C for our truck. We've been talking about it for quite awhile and figured it was time. The capacitor model seemed a better choice than the battery model in a vehicle that will likely be left in the sun. We do pull the window shades when we know it will be setting awhile.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Archived