Battery Charge

ruthanns1

Hey Guys, we have a problem with our batteries charging. Our amp meter in the truck reads less then 11amps even with the on board charger on and it dose not charge the batteries. I can't get a date on the batteries none of the numbers were removed. I tried jumping it by the two nubs under the hood and nothing. Now I have 4 batteries and they seem to be in two banks run parallel, and I'm guessing that they join under the truck some where. Do I need a special charger for charging a two or four battery bank.

Thanks Chip and Ruth

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

First, you ought to see if the alternator is really charging. I use a simple K-D ammeter, inductive type. Just place it over the alternator wire and see if it registers. No, it's not precise, but that's not really important here.

If your alternator is charging, check ALL connections, especially grounds. Give 'em all a tug to be sure they're tight, and if there's a loose one, take it apart and clean it. Take off every battery connection and clean it too.

I've been fighting electrical gremlins too. Being impatient, I whizzed right past the basics and caused myself a lot of wasted time. Basics first..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

First, you ought to see if the alternator is really charging. I use a simple K-D ammeter, inductive type. Just place it over the alternator wire and see if it registers. No, it's not precise, but that's not really important here.

If your alternator is charging, check ALL connections, especially grounds. Give 'em all a tug to be sure they're tight, and if there's a loose one, take it apart and clean it. Take off every battery connection and clean it too.

I've been fighting electrical gremlins too. Being impatient, I whizzed right past the basics and caused myself a lot of wasted time. Basics first..........

Rick, I'm in Colorado and as soon as the snow melts around the truck I will start to check all the connection and hope it is just a loose wire.

Thanks for all your advice.

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

Archived