Needing a Toad in Kentucky

Chewy13

I just bought my first RV. Not knowing much I jumped on one I thought was what I needed. Well among the many things I did wrong. My 40' class A can only tow 3500#s. So I am looking for a toad under the weight limit that can seat 4 kids, wife and myself. I figure it will have to be like the Nissan Versa Note, and put one in the hatch back. The Notes run about $12,000, then another 1k for equipment.

Does anyone have anything to offer? Cheaper. that seats all 6. We are going all in. Once the RV is set, we are selling the house and moving into the RV. Army retired me for medical reasons. I need a change of venue. Currently outside of Fort Knox KY.

If all else fails I will pick up the versa note. But would prefer buying one that is already set up. and hopefully cheaper.

Tom

Tell us a little more about the motorhome, if you will. Most 40' motorhomes have a hitch that is rated to tow at least 5000# and are usually diesel powered. What chassis do you have ? In searching, trying to find specs on one I am not able to located any information on a Daybreak motorhome of 40' in length. Perhaps someone here is familiar with what you have.

What is it that limits you to a tow vehicle of 3500#? Is that the maximum tow rating from the chassis weight limits? I am doing some digging but with any luck at all, someone else will read this thread and join in with better information than I am able to supply.

Welcome!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Is towing the only option? How about having the wife drive, at this point your current vehicle and follow your motorhome. You have to decide what is best for your situation but unless you plan to drive back and forth across country, gas cost shouldn't be that much. If this doesn't work out, you can always change or upgrade at a later date.

Greg

The one I bought is a 2002 Daybreak by Damon. I was incorrect I just looked it up, it is 32 feet, I was way wrong. The hitch is rated at 3500. It is gas. If all else fails we will probably rent a vehicle when we get where-ever we are going. Having the wife follow us is a plan, but I'm not telling her, she's mean. Who's going to make me a sandwich if she's not riding with us? *joke*

I know I bought the wrong one for what I am wanting to do. ooops. Now we roll with it.

Tom

I know I bought the wrong one for what I am wanting to do. ooops. Now we roll with it.

While some folks may tell you that, I don't know that I would agree with them. We were told many times over the years that the motorhome we lived in all of the time for nearly 12 years just was not sufficient for fulltime living and some of those same folks are still saying it. Today was have a small travel trailer and sure enough, there are experts who tell us that it isn't large enough to spend very long in, yet we have lived in it for as long as 5 consecutive months with not one night spent anywhere else. I suggest to you that the best thing to do now is to look back at what it was that convinced you that this was the right RV for you and to just ignore the self-proclaimed experts who know otherwise. Until you have traveled in it and failed to have a good time, keep with the positive attitude and rather than looking at it as a mistake, look for ways to make it work. I am not and never will be part of the "bigger is better" movement. Enjoy the RV you have and find ways to work out the things which crop up. Make this a learning experience and enjoy your new RV experience. In digging around, I did find a copy of the brochure that was published for your RV back in 2002.

On the Nissan Note, it clearly is light weight enough to be towed easily but before you go out and buy one, make sure that it is capable of being towed on its wheels, or look to a dolly to take it with you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Kirk. With a positive attitude, try the motorhome for at least 5-6 months. You will establish facts in which to make decisions. Size? Equipment? Layout? I figure the odds of purchasing your perfect motorhome the first time are slim.

A quick history of our motorhomes: 1970 23' Swinger by Dodge, 1984 29' Rockwood, 1990 30' Pace Arrow. All in three years. When we got the Pace Arrow we thought that would be the end for a long time. Then my DW discovered converted buses. I had been fairly adament that a weight limit was not to be exceeded. That was my undoing at an FMCA Rally where there were more than 10 converted buses. All were more than 15 years old. So 1995 we purchased a 1970 4108 GM. In 1998 we took our first extended trip. Pretty much everything we wanted. 35 feet was a nice size. After 10 years I came to the conclusion that the three plate wet clutch was becoming more difficult in traffic. In plain words my left leg was losing muscle faster than I could keep pace. Then we found a nice 1986 MCI102A3. 40 feet and 102" wide. Yeah the extra 5 feet makes it a little tougher in tight places but I do love the 6 speed automatic transmission. And DW loves the 8 feet of kitchen counter and the stacked washer/ dryer.

So use what you bought and then decide if you made the correct decision. If not then you know a lot more of what you want. Keep a book of notes. What's good, what brand you like, what layout you like, what bay setup you like. Then look around until you find your perfect coach.

Gooid luck

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived