Who's still using Internet Explorer? And why won't they upgrade?

RV_

Very interesting article and if you go down to the discussion at the bottom and read the comments you will see mine as AreV. Essentially I agree with all critical comments and consider IE 11 my option for now. despite being all my keeper systems upgraded to 10 but one of six.

Excerpt:

"On January 12, 2016, Microsoft is officially dropping support for all but the latest version of Internet Explorer. For a surprisingly high number of laggards, it's time to upgrade or face a world of hurt. So what's holding them back?

Next month, Microsoft will officially stop delivering updates for all but the latest Internet Explorer version on each Windows version it supports. Although the company provided almost two years' warning, the population still using older versions of Internet Explorer appears to be uncomfortably high.

How many people are using Microsoft browsers (Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge) on desktop PCs, laptops, and Windows-powered hybrids? And what percentage of those customers are going to stop getting security updates after January? Getting answers to those questions turned out to be harder than I thought.

In fact, the three most commonly cited sources of information on usage share for browsers and operating systems publish authoritative-looking numbers that are almost comically far apart. Instead of picking one, I'll give you the numbers from all three sources and maybe together we can make some sense of things.

First, how many people and PCs use Microsoft browsers?

So, who are those laggards still on earlier versions? Let's break it down group by group."

The rest of the article has graphs and damn statistics. But worth a read I am firmly in the IE 11 now that we have Adblock plus. http://www.zdnet.com/article/whos-still-using-internet-explorer-and-why-wont-they-upgrade/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm still using Internet Explorer and will be until they no longer allow it. I've used it since day 1, about 20 yrs. I do update frequently and always have the latest ver and updates. Although I've tried all the other browsers for short periods, I always go back to IE. Even the one PC I upgraded to Win 10 for testing, still uses IE11. I had no interest in Edge, even though they tried to make it the default browser.

Jim

Thanks Bill, fixed it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Jim,

Me too. In the last para of the article Ed says:

"Until Edge gets support for extensions (with ad blockers and password managers at the top of the list), it isn't a contender for anything more than occasional slumming among heavy browser users. That support is due sometime next year, and could be a key selling point in Microsoft's campaign to have Windows 10 on a billion devices in the next few years."

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived