vornado heater?

ganto

I called vornado today and was asking about there heaters. I told them that it would be ran off an inverter gen set. and the rep told me that was a big no no. so then I explained It to him that it was a 7000 watt pure sine inverter genset. and he was still unsure. he just told me that the heaters can over heat and cause a fire when there run on a gen set because of all wattage drainage from the genny. I could see if I was running a 2000 watter but not a 7000 watter. has anyone had problems with there vornado heaters over heating and malfunctioning when run off a gen set?? I love vornados products and I would hate for this to be a deal breaker before buying :(

Ganto, so you were told "he just told me that the heaters can over heat and cause a fire when there run on a gen set because of all wattage drainage from the genny."

Welllllllllllll Ive been out of school and away from the electrical engineering practice a long time but I have a hard time understanding why a "Sufficiently Rated" Generator, especially one that generates a Pure Sine Wave as opposed to some sort of a modified wave CANT SUCCESSFULLY POWER UP A RESISTANCE TYPE ELECTRIC HEATER (Provided that's what a vornado even is, I don't really know, is it strip resistance heat or a heat pump ????)

I also realize if the generator is 7 KW but the heater/load is far less (perhaps 1500 to even 5000 watt) that's even more reason to think a generator should do fine. If the heater were say 1500 watts and you tried to use a 1500 watt generator, I can see how (due to hyped up or over ratings) there could be a problem, but a 7 KW Generator should power up even a 5KW load no problem. I can se how a motor load may overheat if the generator is inadequate but I don't see a resistance heater overheating even if the Generator was a bit below nominal voltage, unless the vornado is a heat pump perhaps??????????? IS IT?????????????

Similar to my answer to the Inverter question below there could be a slight chance a dirty or modified wave may not set well with any super sensitive micro processors or digital electronic controls etc., but if the heater control device is merely a relay, I again dont see how powering from a 7 KW Generator, especially an Inverter type, could cause harm.

Same as below, my attorney hat makes me think perhaps their legal department (NOT technical experts lol) may have placed such a warning or limitation just to cover their A$$ Im sure they have heard horror stories of someone using a cheap under rated junky generator and damaging it or the heater so maybe that's why they insist on the no Generator power warning????????????

Same as below, anyone has the free choice to do as a manufacturer suggests or completely ignore their warnings, and Im NOT going on record to say ignore what they say, its just that my engineering brain doesn't know why a sine wave generator or the heater would be harmed if its powered from the utility (sine wave) or your own generator????????? Does anyone else have theories as to why?????????????? My guesses why make sense to anyone else??? The attorney side of my brain makes me suspect its the lawyers who issued that warning...

A puzzled John T (but that's typical)

That's funny. :lol: :lol:

I randomly picked 4 of the most expensive models and there wasn't a 1 over 1500 watt and 12 amp on 'high'. Most 2000 watt genny's could keep one fed just fine. 7000 watt? Phshhhhh.... ;)

There 'is' a potential fire hazard if you run an extension cord that is too long or doesn't have a high enough amp rating, but that's true of just about any electric heater out there and has nothing to do with your genny.

You should have asked, "Hey... did you know snowmen over 5' 7" are capable of moving more than 40 feet in a single day?" Ohh... sorry... I thought we were just making up random crap. :P

Go getcha a heater or 2, Ganto.

Ganto, so you were told "he just told me that the heaters can over heat and cause a fire when there run on a gen set because of all wattage drainage from the genny."

Welllllllllllll Ive been out of school and away from the electrical engineering practice a long time but I have a hard time understanding why a "Sufficiently Rated" Generator, especially one that generates a Pure Sine Wave as opposed to some sort of a modified wave CANT SUCCESSFULLY POWER UP A RESISTANCE TYPE ELECTRIC HEATER (Provided that's what a vornado even is, I don't really know, is it strip resistance heat or a heat pump ????)

I also realize if the generator is 7 KW but the heater/load is far less (perhaps 1500 to even 5000 watt) that's even more reason to think a generator should do fine. If the heater were say 1500 watts and you tried to use a 1500 watt generator, I can see how (due to hyped up or over ratings) there could be a problem, but a 7 KW Generator should power up even a 5KW load no problem. I can se how a motor load may overheat if the generator is inadequate but I don't see a resistance heater overheating even if the Generator was a bit below nominal voltage, unless the vornado is a heat pump perhaps??????????? IS IT?????????????

Similar to my answer to the Inverter question below there could be a slight chance a dirty or modified wave may not set well with any super sensitive micro processors or digital electronic controls etc., but if the heater control device is merely a relay, I again dont see how powering from a 7 KW Generator, especially an Inverter type, could cause harm.

Same as below, my attorney hat makes me think perhaps their legal department (NOT technical experts lol) may have placed such a warning or limitation just to cover their A$$ Im sure they have heard horror stories of someone using a cheap under rated junky generator and damaging it or the heater so maybe that's why they insist on the no Generator power warning????????????

Same as below, anyone has the free choice to do as a manufacturer suggests or completely ignore their warnings, and Im NOT going on record to say ignore what they say, its just that my engineering brain doesn't know why a sine wave generator or the heater would be harmed if its powered from the utility (sine wave) or your own generator????????? Does anyone else have theories as to why?????????????? My guesses why make sense to anyone else??? The attorney side of my brain makes me suspect its the lawyers who issued that warning...

I understand what your saying. I could see it being a hazard if the genny was under sized alond with the extension cord as yarome has also mentioned. but a Honda EU7000 should be able to run these units just fine. so I will agree with you and say that there saying all of this to cover there asses so I won't sue if my house burns down. I remember now I did ask about a 7000 watt inverter type unit and the rep said that I should be fine if I have a bigger unit. it just puzzled me I know that theres lots of rvr's out there that use space heaters instead of running the propane furnace.

That's funny. :lol: :lol:

I randomly picked 4 of the most expensive models and there wasn't a 1 over 1500 watt and 12 amp on 'high'. Most 2000 watt genny's could keep one fed just fine. 7000 watt? Phshhhhh.... ;)

There 'is' a potential fire hazard if you run an extension cord that is too long or doesn't have a high enough amp rating, but that's true of just about any electric heater out there and has nothing to do with your genny.

You should have asked, "Hey... did you know snowmen over 5' 7" are capable of moving more than 40 feet in a single day?" Ohh... sorry... I thought we were just making up random crap. :P

Go getcha a heater or 2, Ganto.

id'e go with the yamaha's for the lower wattage unit's over the Honda's cause the yamaha's have more power output than the Hondas after the surge. yea I got a Honda EU7000 and I got a deal on it when I bought it that I couldn't refuse so I went for it I got it for under 4000.00 I can't pass that deal up no tax and free shipping also. so far I ran 2 13,500 BTU AC units and the microwave along with the standard stuff lights tv dvr and it just purred and didn't rev up. I will be going to lowes tomorrow and getting myself a couple of the heavy duty extension cords the orange ones. lol on the snowman joke. nothing like watching the ball game out in the woods having a beer with the bears :D:lol:

http://www.vornado.com/heaters/iControl it's just a regular ole heater

I think that John is being nice and not saying it, but he believes, as I do, that the guy who told you that was an idiot! An electric heater is a restive load and it don't care at all what the power source is. The power is either sufficient, or it is not and no portable heater is greater than 1500 watts. If that heater has some sort of solid state controls there is a very slight possibility that a poorly regulated generator could harm that part, but your Honda is a very stable and solid power supply.

The statement that "because of all wattage drainage from the genny" is one of the most nonsensical statements I have ever heard. :wacko:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think that John is being nice and not saying it, but he believes, as I do, that the guy who told you that was an idiot! An electric heater is a restive load and it don't care at all what the power source is. The power is either sufficient, or it is not and no portable heater is greater than 1500 watts. If that heater has some sort of solid state controls there is a very slight possibility that a poorly regulated generator could harm that part, but your Honda is a very stable and solid power supply.

The statement that "because of all wattage drainage from the genny" is one of the most nonsensical statements I have ever heard. :wacko:

i'll agree with you that he's an idiot. and from the sound from our conversation the idiot don't even know what a pure sine wave inverter is!! and john is just to nice!!

Yo Kirk,

"I think that John is being nice and not saying it, but he believes, as I do, that the guy who told you that was an idiot! An electric heater is a restive load and it don't care at all what the power source is"

Better to be called nice then something else lol. In over 15 years on all sorts of Forums (and my legal training) I just hate to come out especially in writing and call someone an idiot lol PS WINK WINK INDEED HOWEVER FWIW I DO BELIEVE AS YOU DO Ive been a design engineer and Ive furnished expert testimony but also as an attorney I KNOW they do things like that (warn against use of alternative power) to cover their clients A$$. They cant help themselves they have to do something to justify their big fees lol I had a "real life" as an Engineer and Farmer and Truck and RV dealer longggggggggg before an early retirement after which I became "Law Man" and think I have a bit of common sense which some "idiots" may lack lol

As you and most others know, I don't care if you pass DC or AC or a Sine Wave or a Square Wave or the dirtiest transient and noise filled current or spikes there is through a resistor (strip heating element) ELECTRIC ENERGY IS CONVERTED INTO I SQUARED R HEAT ENERGY (3.41 BTU/Watt) . I mostly talk about any super sensitive micro processors or digital control circuits as susceptible to "dirty" power to cover my A$$ but a simple cheap open/close mechanical relay is NOT that. Regardless of all that and my beliefs, Im still not gonna say GO AHEAD AND IGNORE MANUFACTURERS WARNINGS (even though I have)

John T Counting the days before I head South the day the last kid leaves after our Christmas gathering. RV is serviced and filled with gas and Sta Bil and oil changed and full of LP gas and tires topped off woooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo although my pocket book is much lighter after a rebuilt tranny and 10,000# tow rated cooler and a new in tank elec fuel pump and tune up. Can you float me a loan if needed???

I have gone through 4 vornado heaters in 5 years , i send them to the factory ,they send out new ones,, same problem run for awhile then won't turn on and stay on. I think i will stick with my blue flame heater this winter.

sorry to hear that I know that they made great stuff. but I also noticed that they stopped offering the lifetime warranty also for a while now. it makes me wonder if there quality standards went down as well?? I had a friend that had one go out on her to. and customer service told her to cut the cord and e-mail them the picture that she cut the cord and they sent her a new one!!

Archived