deducting expenses for seasonal job

trostberg

In Yellowstone one of the other RVers mentioned deducting expenses for the paid position.

I usually volunteer and deduct mileage for the travel from my home but figured since this is not volunteering for a non profit I would not have deductions

What deductions would be allowed for a paid position outside of home state

I don't think this is the place for us to answer. My experience is that every tax expert will have different answers and you need to follow the advice of whoever prepares your taxes. If you do them yourself, then you will have to do your own research and go with it. But I wouldn't trust any free advice on this forum! LOL

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

A friend who was an investigator for the IRS had a favorite saying. "You can deduct anything that you wish from your taxes, but the test is in getting the IRS computers to accept it as legitimate."

There are three IRS publications which you need to read, pub 463 Travel Expense and pub 529 Miscellaneous Deductions, and pub 535 Business Expense deductions. While it does take some time and effort, it really isn't that difficult to find out what is deductible. RV travel is not legal in the vast majority of cases, especially for fulltimers since the RV is your home and only travel away from home is usually even to be considered.

If you are volunteering, this link should prove to be quite helpful. Generally there isn't much that actually qualifies but very few people get audited today so if it isn't really flagrant, you would likely get by. The thing to keep in mind is that if you have limited income it takes a lot of deductions to justify using the long form and to exceed the benefit of a standard deduction.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived