RV ROOFING SOLUTIONS

gnikk

If that's the spray on, pick-up bed protector type, it has been discussed on this forum. The biggest problems if I remember from the discussions is that they won't do slide outs and the difficulty of replacing fixtures, vents etc. after the spray on.

An RV dealership I use does the Rhino Eco-Coat. They do not apply to slideouts because of the thickness/texture of the spray. Apparently it "could" cause problems with water seeping under the slide gasket and there is little benefit to the application on the slides. Besides, slide toppers might be cheaper than the spray.

I don't understand the point of difficulty replacing fixtures/vents. The rep told me it is easy to replace pieces that are damaged if work is done on the roof. Only the area cut for the fix needs to be re-sprayed.

The air con(s) is/are removed prior to the spray. A new gasket is used when the air gets re-installed.

Only question I would have is what is the warranty. I have "heard" 5 yrs and also "heard" lifetime. Have not seen anything on the Rhino web site.

I don't understand the point of difficulty replacing fixtures/vents. The rep told me it is easy to replace pieces that are damaged if work is done on the roof. Only the area cut for the fix needs to be re-sprayed.

The issue is that most of the spray on roof applicators do not remove the roof penetrations and mask before spraying. RV manufacturers apply the roof materials before things like plumbing vent caps, skylights, and roof vents are installed so that those are set on top of the roofing material and then sealed with butyl tape and caulking. That makes it pretty simple to replace one when it is needed. All of the after market spray on roof coatings that I have seen only remove the air conditioners and just spray the coating right up over the edges of the vents and skylight frames. When that plastic cap on the plumbing vent needs replaced due to sun cracking and such, you then have to cut the new coating and seal a much larger problem area than with the OEM roof.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When that plastic cap on the plumbing vent needs replaced due to sun cracking and such, you then have to cut the new coating and seal a much larger problem area than with the OEM roof.

I know that. Again, I don't see the problem. The repair area that gets cut out gets sprayed/sealed. It's not like the replacement area is very big.

We didn't use the company you are asking about but we had our roof done last month by with a similar product called RV Armor:

http://www.rv-armor.com/?gclid=CJf6jcGR3sYCFQYoaQodspoOsQ

Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We didn't use the company you are asking about but we had our roof done last month by with a similar product called RV Armor:

http://www.rv-armor.com/?gclid=CJf6jcGR3sYCFQYoaQodspoOsQ

Greg

Did they remove your air conditioners?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The A/C covers, vent covers and dish were removed. The A/C units were not removed. I supplied all new Maxxair vent covers and they installed them rather than the old covers.

The installer was very cooperative and I suspect that if you want the A/C units removed he would have, might have charged more. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I was quoted 3980.00 (If they came to my location) and 3590.00 (at one of their locations) for a 38 foot Dutch Star Diesel Pusher that is why I was interested in hearing from someone who had used them. From what I was told over the phone by RV Roofing Solutions and watching her RV-Armor video I think both companies do pretty much the same procedure. The coating product might vary a little. I have a sample of the RV Roofing Solutions product and they answered all my questions on the phone. I guess I will give the RV-ARMOR folks a call and see if they will send me a sample.

• 2 months later...

We just did ours for less than $300 dollars in materials and about 8 total hours of labor. My wife and I did it and the only difficult part was not falling off the roof. Took AC's and vent covers off and also removed the old dish that was from the 90's and totally useless now. We had e-mailed the "RV solutions" and waited for two weeks and never heard from them. We HAD to get it done before the monsoons struck again so we decided to give it a shot. Very, very glad we did now!! Lots and lots of youtube videos and how to videos out there that cover just about every facet of the job if you decide to go that route. Good luck!

It is definitely not for someone that is not very comfortable climbing around on top of a roof or physically challenged in any way...after re-reading my post i think I made it sound way easier than it was...it's challenging for no other reason than you are off the ground and it would hurt very much with one misstep. Just wanted to make that clear!!

We just did ours for less than $300 dollars in materials and about 8 total hours of labor. My wife and I did it and the only difficult part was not falling off the roof. Took AC's and vent covers off and also removed the old dish that was from the 90's and totally useless now. We had e-mailed the "RV solutions" and waited for two weeks and never heard from them. We HAD to get it done before the monsoons struck again so we decided to give it a shot. Very, very glad we did now!! Lots and lots of youtube videos and how to videos out there that cover just about every facet of the job if you decide to go that route. Good luck!

It is definitely not for someone that is not very comfortable climbing around on top of a roof or physically challenged in any way...after re-reading my post i think I made it sound way easier than it was...it's challenging for no other reason than you are off the ground and it would hurt very much with one misstep. Just wanted to make that clear!!

You just did what?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I'm a little late posting here, but thought I'd post for others looking. I used EliteRV in Palmetto, FL back in January 2014. They use the RVRoof Flex-Armour product. Comes with a lifetime, transferable, no-leak guarantee. The charge was $150 per lineal foot. (My 1998 38 foot Newmar was measured at 35 feet actual product.) The price included removing the A/Cs, replacing all vent pipe covers, and installing all new Maxxair vent covers. They inspected every area of the roof before doing the job and we paid an extras $125 for replacing three areas that had dry rot in the plywood. The job took three days. One thing that impressed me was the care they took to mask the entire RV except the area they sprayed. The work was done entirely inside their garage. You have to go to their shop to get the work done.

I was extremely satisfied with the work and professionalism of the entire crew. A few of the immediate benefits I noticed was a very significant reduction of road and wind noise while driving. The entire unit felt more "solid" afterwards. We experienced several heavy rainstorms over the next few months. No leaks, of course, but even better the sound of the rain on the roof was very muted. Before the new roof, you could not carry on a normal conversation during a rain storm. After, it was no problem at all.

I traded the Newmar off in August 2015. The transferable roof warranty improved the trade-in value by a couple of thousand dollars. After this last heavy rainstorm, we are now planning on a trip to Florida to have them work their magic on the new Miramar! Here's a link: http://eliterv.com/

The issue is that most of the spray on roof applicators do not remove the roof penetrations and mask before spraying. RV manufacturers apply the roof materials before things like plumbing vent caps, skylights, and roof vents are installed so that those are set on top of the roofing material and then sealed with butyl tape and caulking. That makes it pretty simple to replace one when it is needed. All of the after market spray on roof coatings that I have seen only remove the air conditioners and just spray the coating right up over the edges of the vents and skylight frames. When that plastic cap on the plumbing vent needs replaced due to sun cracking and such, you then have to cut the new coating and seal a much larger problem area than with the OEM roof.

RV Flex Armor removes everything on the roof during the prep. They then replace the a/c gaskets, new tank vent(s), and new air vent covers if needed after the new roof is sprayed on. If you had existing air vent covers they put them back and give credit for what they would have provided. I had my roof done a little over a month ago in Madison, MS.

I had my skylight replaced at the same time. They do mask the entire rig other than what are spraying and they spray the top of the drip rail to cover all of the screw intrusions into the rig. The rail still works, it just doesn't have a bunch of screw holes to have to worry about.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Archived