Sequoyah NWR

gjhunter01

I would suggest on all future commitments you get a written description of your duties, hours you will volunteer etc before your arrival.

Ron and I are on our 10th different refuge and 13gig, having done several more than once. All have been successful, fun experiences. We are sure that part of this has been knowing all the details before we make our final commitment including what the weather may be like!!

Now have a good time, do not be afraid to be honest about what you can and cannot physically do, be nice to the local volunteers and the Friends group if there is one

( cause they'll be there long after your gone) and create some memories

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We met Chad today and our job is to mow with 2 zero turn mowers and clean trash bins. He only ask for 20 hours a week for the covered pad with FHU including WIFI (we will more than double the hours by choice). Due to future commitments, we only signed up for 1 month and had told Chad we have no restrictions and can do/learn just about anything. There are no other volunteers here, hence the original post. So far it looks great and we will be turned loose with lots of freedom and any tools/trucks we need.

I don't get the written agreement thing, after all this is a volunteer job which we do for the adventure of doing something new and if things were not going good we would just opt to leave. If we had to refer back to an agreement for a job description, I'd better be getting paid well.
Greg

"I don't get the written agreement thing, after all this is a volunteer job which we do for the adventure of doing something new and if things were not going good we would just opt to leave. If we had to refer back to an agreement for a job description, I'd better be getting paid well

We have never had an issue, while a few others have. I just feel it helps keeping everyone happy to understand the expectations. Even within the same agencies the expectations of volunteers can be different.

We would never opt to leave any place without having a conversation to clear up any misunderstanding and have that written email to look back on would help guide us

Wishing you a happy time. Sounds like you have found a fun spot with a great staff

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I don't get the written agreement thing, after all this is a volunteer job which we do for the adventure of doing something new and if things were not going good we would just opt to leave. If we had to refer back to an agreement for a job description, I'd better be getting paid well.

I agree. We've arrived at some volunteer jobs with zero idea of what we'd be doing, and they turned out to be some of our best experiences. We've also had gigs where we received a several-page "job description" and those also turned out fine. I know that some folks will not consider a position unless every aspect is spelled out and described in writing and I wonder if they are missing out on some interesting positions because of that requirement.

I suppose that we may someday have a terrible experience and change our opinion on needing to have everything pinned down ahead of time. But (as you said) in a case like that we'd simply hit the road.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I think I have created a misunderstanding.

Let me explain. Ron and I have had wonderful experiences, however after awhile its not what we DO but but rather some things we are unable or are not interested in doing that would make a situation not much fun.

We are always up for challenges and open to new and exciting things and that has been a "ton o fun ".

We did arrive at one "gig" to learn that there was an expectation for me to do a job that is really not my thing. We loved everything else. By having the email I was more comfortable having a casual conversation that led to a rearrangement of some my time to something we all felt would be more beneficial to all concerned.(I still helped with the other job, just not as many hours). I'm sure it would have been fine without it but I certainly felt better

Conversely we worked with a couple who arrived with very set ideas about what their expectations were. And believe me none of it was either realistic or close to reasonable and made life difficult for all the other volunteers who were picking up the slack. By having a copy of the email our supervisor was able to try and work it out They did eventually leave.

So its not a contract I'm suggesting, just an understanding for all.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Archived