GPS navigation, engine and trip monitoring, audio and video in 1 box

G&K

The first two Android Head units are in my hands. 2 day shipping from Hong Kong. Plus I have the antenna amps, front view camera, rear view camera, external microphones, ELM327 adapters, fascia trim plates, map cards and a few other odds and ends to play with.

First unit is about half way into the F-350. Brackets are going to be a bit of a challenge, other than that everything is pretty impressive. Probably another three weeks to get it set up the way I think it should be. Sound is already wonderful and I have had a cursory cruise around the default apps.

But this is definitely the future of installed entertainment and the screen quality, responsiveness and sound quality have exceeded my expectations so far.

Geo

so are these units dual core or quad core CPU's? how much ram and flash space?

you compiling your own android releases for these or you relying on someone in hong kong to release them?

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

These are quad-core. 1gig of RAM, 16 gig flash.

We are using the manufactures Android release with a custom ROM. I wouldn't try a compile as the system level add ons for the radio tuner are not available.

I expect by the time I'm happy with the system we will be on Android 5.x with 2GB of RAM.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

These are quad-core. 1gig of RAM, 16 gig flash.

We are using the manufactures Android release with a custom ROM. I wouldn't try a compile as the system level add ons for the radio tuner are not available.

I expect by the time I'm happy with the system we will be on Android 5.x with 2GB of RAM.

Geo

thats good that they are Quad core. Android isnt friendly on resources. i see piles of dual core double din units around... very few quads..

huh. the system level addons should be available as object files that can be linked to when compiling the ROM.

ive done many custom ROM'S before. i still have my machine around thats all setup for it.

ill be curious to see how it all works out for you.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

Is all of the info going to a tablet or to a lab top ? I am technology challenged went to comes to computer stuff. The reason that I ask the question about the tablet / lab top is because Christmas is coming and there could be some good deals out there on this equipment. Maybe it could make some sense to find a great buy on some of this equipment before the system is finished. Or am I putting the cart before the horse ? Or do I need to sit back and see what happens ? Is there some sites that have info that I need to read ?

I am open to all input,

Thanks for all help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I will come back with more detail.

Currently in Vancouver airport on a 10pm flight to Manila.

I like warm but this is going to be hot. 30C feels like 35C.

But I don't have to do pre trips. Lol

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Geo

enjoy your vacation.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

• 1 month later...

Geo

Hi Geo,

I was curious to know how your research has been going on your product. I am in the need for a back-up camera or two for my truck. The most important camera that I will need is for the hitch. I don't know if your system will support several cameras. Maybe I should look at a stand alone camera system. What would your advice be ? I want to keep the cost within a budget.

Thank you for your help,

Al

He's still in the Philippines, possibly washed away in the hurricane or typhoon over there. Back around the middle of the month.

Thanks Roger for the update.

Al

As Rogers says, I'm still in the Philippines. Terrible Internet connection, 1-bar on 3G at the house. Its "unlimited" but you get throttled over 800MB per day or 3GB per month. Nice in the cities where you have LTE though. All for about $25US per month.

I'm back on the 25th and have lots to catch up on.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and wish you all a Happy New Year.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

• 1 month later...

Geo, Just wondering if you were back state side yet. Are you going to be at the ECR? How is your project going? @ many questions? Hope you had a great time! We were in Hawaii last May. We had a super trip. Just to short. Touch base when you can. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived