water problems

tilliepeoples

I have a strange water problem.

I fill the freshwater and drain the grey water tank.Next morning grey tank is full fresh is empty.

I know there is no direct connection between fresh and grey tanks so I plugged all the drains and tried again.Next morning ,same problem and all drains are dry.

How the heck is my water getting from 1 tank to the other.

1990 Winnebago Cheiftain

Thanks

Bill

I know there is no direct connection between fresh and grey tanks

In a perfect world that may be true... however, you wouldn't be the first person to be a victim of a bum plumbing job. The first place I would look would be to check and see if someone might have plumbed your fresh water tanks overfill outlet to your gray tank. If so, then your overfill outlet could be siphoning to the gray tank. It's not common, but I know folks that will do that to prevent any fresh water overfill from leaking into their basement or on the ground in their campsite.

Beyond that, it's just going to be a matter of getting in there and tracing water lines. Someone shtuck a hose where it don't belong.

That's pretty much the answer I expected.

I have had this for a whole 7 weeks and used it on three previous occasions including a 1000 mile long weekend to visit relatives with no problems.

My Granddaughters. family used it over labor day ( I drove ,parked it and took the ignition key with me ) and now I seem to be having multiple problems ,including the water drainoff , water heater (which I think is related) and generator

I am hoping to get it all figured out so I can use it again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Bill

I would suspect that your fresh water tank drain valve is open. If you can find that valve and close it, it should fix your problem.

Why the fresh water drain was plumbed into the grey tank is anyone's guess.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Well I still don't know why it drains ,but I cleaned and flushed the water heater tank and it seems to have stopped running into the grey tank.

Now the water heater wont start.Ran fine for an hour after i finished flushing but when I went over to check on it a couple days later it would not light .Probably got something wet .Oh well. I also ride a 1984 full dress motorcycle that requires constant attention but the ride is so much fun ..

You do seem to have some unique problems, but with a used RV it is difficult to know what someone may have done previously. Tracing the water lines is probably a good thing to do even if the problem has gone away, as it will likely come back at some point and not when it is convenient to work on. Best of luck!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After looking through some troubleshooting material (atwood and youtube) I have a feeling when I unplugged everything before flushing I pulled the ECO or tstat loose .I will check them next time I get over to it .

I am not surprised that a 25 year old MH has problems (A little disappointed ,but not surprised ).

Most of the problems I find are easy and inexpensive to fix ,but I know sooner or later age will catch up to it .

Considering what I paid for it .I can live with that , especially with the help I get from this forum .

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a long time coming but I finally figured out my water heater problem..

One of the coils on the gas valve was bad .replaced both coils ,now all is good Took awhile to figure it out because it also blew a hidden fuse .

Probably got it went and the last time it started it probably shorted out .

I do believe most of the problems are self inflicted or maybe I should say grand kids and great grand kids inflicted .

Well it's been a long time coming but I finally figured out my water heater problem..

Good news, indeed! Don't be a stranger here, and drop by to join into discussions and threads from time to time. You don't have to need help to participate! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived