Couple pics from my Jeeping trip to South Dakota

CHIEFWAHO

Guessing not many out there get this view of Mt Rushmore.

Can't recall if this was from trail T-Back or Bikini.

There were both very funny technical trails.

The small white dot above and to the left of my tailgate is Mt Rushmore.

south%20dakota%20jas%201.jpg

Can almost make out Mt Rushmore

south%20dakota%20jas%202.jpg

This one from Hal Johns trail on Camp 5 road (between Sturgis and Deadwood).

south%20dakota%20jas.jpg

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Have to put South Dakota on the list now!

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

We are thinking about the Dakota Territory Challenge for next year. Hoping to have the hauler ready for that by next August. Never wheeled there before.

How does the Hal John trail rate? Looks like a lot of fun that we could take the whole family on. Are there more difficult/technical trails in the area?

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

How does the Hal John trail rate?

Hal Johns is awesome. It is kinda Camp 5 road as well. Hal Johns just weaves back and forth across Camp 5 road. I believe each time they cross it is a different section of Hal Johns.

We ( 3 very built Scramblers and 1 buggy, all on 40's or better) decided to run Hal Johns on our own the last day of the Challenge. Some of the attendees said we would be luck to run it in a day. We ran the complete trail in about 5 hours. We only bypassed one obstacle and took all the harder lines throughout.

Video of my buddy doing the waterfall: (hope it works)

https://www.facebook.com/mike.starkebaum/videos/10153589544562438/

I made it as well, just not as easy as he makes it look!

These trails, we ran the day before are mixed in along Camp 5 road and Hal Johns. Kong & Surprise (short, technical, big rocks), Calamity Canyon (moderate with some big options if you like), Full Size (moderate).

The buggy in our group ran U-Bolt trail in about 20 minutes made it look stupid. It was later in the day and the Scramblers decided it would take us several hours so we opted out.

I think my 2 favorite of the trip were T-Back & Bikini trails. These were awesome! Lots of off camber and some big climb options if you want. Ruined my front drive shaft on the very first obstacle (I carry a spare).

Are there more difficult/technical trails in the area?

I ran across this it is a few years old so not sure how accurate:

Trail Ratings:

Difficulty 5+: Buggy or Buggy Type Vehicles Only

Difficulty 5: Larger then stock off-road type tires, 2 traction devices, and winch required; body armor recommended, Expect vehicle damage

Difficulty 4+: Larger then stock off-road type tires and 2 traction devices required; body armor recommended; Vehicle damage likely

Difficulty 4: Larger then stock off-road type tires and 1 traction device required; body armor recommended; Vehicle damage possible

Difficulty 3+: Larger then stock off-road type tires

Difficulty 3: Stock 4 Wheel Drive, Low range required

Trails:

U Bolt -> 5+

Captain Crunch -> 5+

Fruity Pebbles Rock Gardens -> 5

Hal Johns -> 5

T-Back -> 5

Bikini -> 5

3 Blind Mice -> 5

Kong -> 4+

Nasties - Upper -> 4+

Forbes -> 4+

Cheerios -> 4+

Rice Crispies -> 4+

Apple Jacks -> 4+

3.9 -> 4+

Elbow Canyon -> 4+

Figure 8 -> 4+

Surprise -> 4+

Fruity Pebbles Bypass -> 4

Got Milk -> 4

Calamity Canyon -> 4

Iceman -> 4

Jake -> 4

Fullsize -> 4

Nasties - Lower -> 4

Moses Hill -> 3+

Dugan's Prospect -> 3+

Polo Peak -> 3

Raspberry Ridge -> 3

Road to Galena -> 3

Lost Gulch -> 3

We are thinking about the Dakota Territory Challenge for next year. Hoping to have the hauler ready for that by next August. Never wheeled there before.

How does the Hal John trail rate? Looks like a lot of fun that we could take the whole family on. Are there more difficult/technical trails in the area?

Looks like a fun trip, and good wheeling. I've never made it up there to wheel, but have heard a lot about it. Maybe we could try to setup a mini meet up for the Dakota Territory Challenge. Hopefully our rig will be ready by then too.

What are you guys off road rigs and specs?

I run a 1983 Jeep Scrambler CJ8 (or what's left of it)

5.3L, Turbo 400 trans, Atlas II t-case 3.8

Axles: Dana 60 front (upgrade shafts), 14 bolt rear 5:13 gears, both ARB air-lockers. Front still leaf sprung and 4 link rear.

43" Swamper stickys on Raceline beadlocks.

I couldn't get the video to work "Sorry, this content is not available right now"

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

What are you guys off road rigs and specs?

I run a 1983 Jeep Scrambler CJ8 (or what's left of it)

5.3L, Turbo 400 trans, Atlas II t-case 3.8

Axles: Dana 60 front (upgrade shafts), 14 bolt rear 5:13 gears, both ARB air-lockers. Front still leaf sprung and 4 link rear.

43" Swamper stickys on Raceline beadlocks.

I have a couple of them.

Mine:

87 Toyota Xcab, 22re, 5sp, dual cases, 4.0 rear tcase gears, 5.29's, stock 8" housings, chromo shafts, Detroit front, ARB rear. 35" KM2's/40" MTR's, caged and armored. Bobbed and dovetailed bed. 63" Chevy rear springs, Rear-up-front's.

IMG_1419_zpsgmc2lcju.jpg

46 Willy's Cj2a, Toyota 22re, 5sp, 2.28 tcase (soon to be 4.7's), 5.29's, spooled rear, e-locker front, caged and tubed. 36" TSL's/37" MTR's. Wrangler springs F&R.

FH000011.jpg

2009 Formula Toyota, propaned 22r, 5sp, dual cases, 4.7's, 5.29's, chromo shafts in Diamond housings, ARB rear, Detroit front, 37" sticky Krawlers/40" Iroks. 4" All-Pro springs...Soon to be linked and turbo'd.

DSC09910a_zpsbdef2e50.jpg

Wifes:

1985 Toyota 4runner, turbo'd 22re, 5 sp, dual cases, 4.7's, 5.29's, Detroit rear, Lockrite front, Chromo shafts, 36" TSL's/35" Maxxis SCR's. 63" chevy rears, rear-up-front's.

DSC09629_zpsa5411116.jpg

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Chief, that is the most impressive HDT rig/ setup I've ever seen.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Sounds like a good run Chief. I think a lot of making it through a trial faster than everything says is not being part of a big group, and everyone in the group knowing how to spot the right line for their own rig. I've spent HOURS on simple trails with bad drivers/spotters before.

My rig is an 87 4Runner with a 22RE, 5spd manual, dual reduction T-case with 2.28 in the front box and 4.7 in the rear, Toyota solid front axle swap with Longfield 30 spline chomo axles, 4.10 gears with shaved and armored diff housings, aussie lunchbox lockers F&R, rear up front and 63 chevy rear springs, full armor and cage, runs on 36" IROKs. It does pretty well, except it doesn't like to climb really steep stuff too well, I'm not too sure why.

4xirunnerkoh2011.jpg

And the 05 Tacoma show truck. It's stock motor, and drive train with a stock LSD, has our prototype Radflo 2.5" remote reservoir shock package with mid travel front UCA and rear shock relocation, shackle flip, U-bolt flip, traction bar, and our full armor package. It is really more built as a 4wd desert truck that can do some crawling. It currently does not get wheeled like I wish, but hopefully the HDT will help change that.

koh2015.jpg

Both of those shots are from Johnson Valley CA, during 2 different King of the Hammers race weeks.

Archived