RV Furnace Soot

billh42

I noticed the other day that the furnace in my fifth wheel was throwing some soot. I checked the combustion air intake and it is clear. Did not see any rust or cracks in the heat exchanger and the CO detector shows no CO inside. We have been sitting at 7000 foot altitude while work camping this summer and I am wondering if the altitude is affecting the combustion. Less oxygen = yellow flame = soot. Or is it possible to get "bad" propane? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Soot is incomplete combustion, whether from elevation or the air damper out of adjustment. I have no idea what elevation you normally run at, but it sounds like you need to adjust the air mixer for proper combustion at the location you're at. Once you've got it set for your current location, you'll need to keep an eye on it once you get to a lower locale.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There is a chance that the gas valve is leaking and leaving a very small flame burn. I mean small. I have seen this on water heaters and there is a black area above the water heater.

A test with a leak detector for fumes exiting the exhaust along with a drop test on the propane system would help with diagnosing this situation.

Safe Travels, Vern

I had a similar issue with a water heater on a Bounder motor home. Adjusting the water heater did nothing. I finally replaced the lp regulator. That was all it took.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Archived