RVing in old age --

This morning I have been thinking about our Alaska trip in 2008. Three and a half months, and 12,000 miles. We are older now and have more health problems, but as soon as we can get our doctor appointments "set right," we plan to hit the road again, regardless of our age! Thinking about that reminded me of a two week chartered church bus trip that I was on years ago. There was a lady on the trip that was in her early 90's! YES!

I remember talking to people on the trip about the wisdom of the old lady being on such a trip. The people laughed, and said something like ---

"Yes, we understand your concerns. We talked to her family about it, and they had no objections to the old lady going. Her family said something like ----- "She has had a great life, and is in good health, considering her age, so if she wants to go, LET HER GO! She can die along side of a highway just as well as in a hospital with all sorts of tubes connected to her body and connected to machines. In fact, it might be a BETTER way to go.

The old lady DID make the trip with no health problems, and she was an inspiration to all of us. Reminds me a a Bible verse which can not quote exactly, but it goes something like this ---- Work today because night comes when no man can work. So, when it comes to RVing, TRAVEL NOW, BECAUSE THE TIME IS COMING WHEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRAVEL!

Excuse mistakes, if any.

C. S.

Thinking about that reminded me of a two week chartered church bus trip that I was on years ago. There was a lady on the trip that was in her early 90's! YES!

It really isn't age but mental and physical health and believing that you can do things. A cousin of my father's used to organize and lead senior bus tours and her last one was put together when she was 96 years old.

I am amazed at the number of folks we volunteer with that are in their 70's and 80's. Some are pushing 90 years old are are still active and interested in helping others. They are a real inspiration to Teri and I.

People thinking the 70's is old makes me chuckle since we have now completed a few tours as RV volunteers since we passed 70 and at our last one there were 9 volunteer couples and we were one of the younger couples. We too were "younger" when we hit the road and I suppose thought that we might never be as old as 70, since I retired at 57. But I'll warn you that it is going to be a major shock to you how quickly you will find yourself looking back on your 70th birthday! The rapidity with which the years have been slipping past has a lot to do with our current plans to begin going places that we have always wished to see, now before time gets away from us. Since some of those dreams mean crossing oceans, our RV isn't going to be involved in some of them, such as our approaching international trip by plane.

My advice is that you savor each and every moment and do not waste even one day of the time you have now as it will pass far more quickly than you expect. We volunteer with outdoor programs even when we are not out in the RV and we do so because we believe that it helps us to slow the aging process. Probably the most important decision that you will ever make is the day that you choose to stop learning!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You don't grow old, you just get old when you quit growing.

Age is so relative. I know people in their 80's who can run circles around lot's of folks in their 50's.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

When my Grandfather was 85 he bought a cabin the woods and restored it so he could rent it out and "earn an income for my old age"

It worked, he lived to 96.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

When my father was in his 70s he took a job driving cars to where they needed to be. A carful of drivers would head to a destination that had cars needing to be moved to another destination then each would drive one of the cars there. He was also part-time RVing during those years. Now he is in his mid-90s and he and his second wife still live alone in the house out in the boonies that Dad helped her and her late husband build when I was just a child. I think they are in better shape than I am.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This morning I have been thinking about our Alaska trip in 2008. Three and a half months, and 12,000 miles. We are older now and have more health problems, but as soon as we can get our doctor appointments "set right," we plan to hit the road again, regardless of our age! Thinking about that reminded me of a two week chartered church bus trip that I was on years ago. There was a lady on the trip that was in her early 90's! YES!

I remember talking to people on the trip about the wisdom of the old lady being on such a trip. The people laughed, and said something like ---

"Yes, we understand your concerns. We talked to her family about it, and they had no objections to the old lady going. Her family said something like ----- "She has had a great life, and is in good health, considering her age, so if she wants to go, LET HER GO! She can die along side of a highway just as well as in a hospital with all sorts of tubes connected to her body and connected to machines. In fact, it might be a BETTER way to go.

The old lady DID make the trip with no health problems, and she was an inspiration to all of us. Reminds me a a Bible verse which can not quote exactly, but it goes something like this ---- Work today because night comes when no man can work. So, when it comes to RVing, TRAVEL NOW, BECAUSE THE TIME IS COMING WHEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRAVEL!

Excuse mistakes, if any.

C. S.

We have been full-timers for only about 14 months now and I couldn't ever imagine living in a stick house again. We have adopted a phrase that we believe in, "RVers never die, they just take a different road". Enjoy the road!!!

We have been full-timers for only about 14 months now and I couldn't ever imagine living in a stick house again. We have adopted a phrase that we believe in, "RVers never die, they just take a different road".

I once expressed that same thought, but in time we discovered that as we age it becomes more difficult to manage in an RV if you also require orthopedic surgeries. After Pam's first one we reconsidered and we have now begun taking that different road and are part-time now with a place to hole up when difficulties arise that has no steps and which is wheelchair and walker accessible.

I try not to write checks my body can't pay for but I always look forward to adventure and fun. Exploring old mines, ghost towns and different snippets of history. Still do tent camping but find the RV the way to go! This age thing is a bummer as just when you want to do something you have no energy! I say do it if you are physically able!

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

My motto: just keep doing it until you can't. Simple.

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

How about "keep doing it when you reall shouldn't"? Some just can't, or won't, come to grips with the realities of aging, like reduced strength, reduced mobility, reduced mental capacity, increased reaction time.... Not to say anyone should stop before they need to, BUT, everyone needs to recognize the realities.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

... Not to say anyone should stop before they need to, BUT, everyone needs to recognize the realities.

I have always admired my father for recognizing that it was time for him to hang up his car keys and stop driving. He chose not to renew his driving license when he was in his early 80's, after having a minor accident with a parked vehicle. He realized that it happened because he was distracted looking for an address. Because of the example that he set, I have been very aware of my limitations.

Archived