Shorten My Shirts Or Lengthen My Wardrobe Closet

tsbartel

My silly wardrobe closets are 26" long and yes, I was just kidding about shortening my shirts. They are easily 6" too short for my clothes. Since I actually need multiple outfits for work (shirts, suits and so forth) I'm considering cutting a hole in the box portion on the bottom of one hanging wardrobe and just letting the clothes hang out so to speak. Thought I might try to design a thin wood platform so I could poke them back in if I wanted to look less tacky when I have guests... Thought I'd see if anyone has tried this and/or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks!

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

BE careful to make sure that there is nothing under the floor of the closets you are thinking of doing this to. In most cases, there is some reason for the construction of RV storage. Wires, plumbing, and other such things may be inside.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with you. Even our closet isn't long enough to hang shirts in the partition designed for them. I have to fold the shirt-tails under when hanging them to reduce the wadded-up look when I remove them. That's OK when I wear them tucked-in, but for shirts designed to be worn outside it looks like I tucked it in, then changed my mind. :(

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our solution was to removed the bar and use the space to install a wire four drawer dresser.

We no longer "hang" clothes They are folded and placed in the dresser. My wife has two drawers and I have two. There is also extra space above and next to the dresser for further storage.

We often comment that we went from two full sized dressers and walk in closet in our sticks and bricks to the little wire dresser. But it works!

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what I came up with ... decided on a two-fold approach. One, shorter hangers which after lots of searching was as simple as the plastic hangers with a non-slip top sold at Walmart. They are about 1" shorter than any other hangers I could find in stores or online. Second, remove (just unscrew) the existing bar from the closet and replace it with a very narrow curtain tension rod from Target (they had shorter ones than the home improvement stores) which I was able to place about 3 inches higher than the original. Once the original was out I could use the tension bar to position as high as would work for me. The little rod is not likely to hold (it's metal so while it will hold the clothes it's not likely strong enough not to slip down the side) so I precut two little square sticks at Home Depot that are aligned under the rod on each side for side support. Seems to be working and gave me over 5" extra height for a total cost of hangers ($2x3 sets=$6), tension rod ($6.50) and sticks ($4) approximately. No permanent changes to the trailer and no major tools required :)

Hope this helps someone else...

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Archived