Got the Wife's Attention

Emptied the black tank yesterday. It was about 50-60% full. I let the agitator run a little longer, couple of minutes, than normal before I opened the dump valve. I could smell sewer on the opposite side of the RV before and after opening the black tank valve. Next, wife came out and said you can really smell it now. By then, I had finished dumping the grey tank. Does it look like I'm in the market for a new toilet seal or valve seal?

This is our third month of full-timing in our first ever RV. It's a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire if that has any bearing on my question.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

It could be your seal. But when you put the water thru the agitator and didn't have the valve open yet,(nothing wrong with this as long as you don't overfill, I do it this way also if tank isn't full) that forces the stinky air out of the black tank up thru the black tank roof vent. Usually if there is no wind blowing that stinky air will come down towards the ground. And again that could force the odor thru a bad or weak seal. But were there any roof vents open or Fantastic type vent fans running This will also suck the stinky air in? And sometimes if the roof air was running it may also bring in some stink.

Second bobsalyh comments. I ALWAYS close the roof vents when dumping due to the foul odor coming out the vent pipe when you are running what you call the agitator (I call it the tank flush). The air has to go somewhere and if a roof vent is open there is a good chance it will go there.

As for the toilet seal.....if your stool is holding water, the seal should be good. If it is not holding water try cleaning it before replacing. There are different tools for different stools.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Second bobsalyh comments. I ALWAYS close the roof vents when dumping due to the foul odor coming out the vent pipe when you are running what you call the agitator (I call it the tank flush). The air has to go somewhere and if a roof vent is open there is a good chance it will go there.

As for the toilet seal.....if your stool is holding water, the seal should be good. If it is not holding water try cleaning it before replacing. There are different tools for different stools.

Lenp

How pray tell, do you close roof vents???

Jim

DO NOT close or obstruct the tank's roof vents, that will suck the water out of your P traps and give you a good dose of tank stink!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

When I use that tank flush my wife says there is a sound of whistling and its very high pitched. This happens even more so if I close the black tank valve. I have went inside while this is happening and have to admit, it don't sound right at all. Sounds like it's ready to explode. I no longer close the black tank valve. Also if I leave it running for any length of time like 5 plus minutes I get the same noise. Any idea's?

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

When I use that tank flush my wife says there is a sound of whistling and its very high pitched. This happens even more so if I close the black tank valve. I have went inside while this is happening and have to admit, it don't sound right at all. Sounds like it's ready to explode. I no longer close the black tank valve. Also if I leave it running for any length of time like 5 plus minutes I get the same noise. Any idea's?

Dave

Our noise, a slight "buzz" when flushing, comes from the anti-siphon valve. It's of no consequence and actually helps remind me that the flush is in use. I suppose your whistling noise could result from a partially obstructed vent trying to pass air as the tank fills with water. You should be able to pin this possibility down by going on the roof and listening at the black tank vent. I would also listen around the toilet since it is the only other inlet to the black tank. If, say opening the toilet's flush valve stops or changes the noise, that would be a pretty good indication that escaping air is making the sound and that the vent could be partially obstructed.

Rich

Archived