Sirius Radio Reception

We enjoy Sirius radio stateside but the reception here in Alaska runs from very poor to none existent. Is there anything I can do to improve the reception to our Silverado? Perhaps an improved antenna or amplifier? Its current antennas are the factory shark-fin on the roof and the corkscrew whip on the fender.

Later,

J

I don't have a clear shot at the horizon due to tree cover in Wisconsin and have the same problem. I am headed to Yellowstone and may have the same problem. I may see if I can suspend my service for a period of time. They did not offer me any solutions when I talked to them awhile back about cancelling but I did get a better price.

If you're using the built-in Sirius receiver in the Chevy, you're pretty much boned. If using a suction cup mounted receiver, that broadcasts an FM signal, you might be able to get a better signal by mounting the magnetic antenna as high as possible. It may also help to mount it vertically, instead of the recommended horizontal. If you're in a valley, forget it. You need to see the true horizon as best as possible, as that's where the birds are.

I checked out some of the add on antennas online and will likely give one a try (leaning toward the small directional teacher's pet linked but will need to figure a way to mount it).

We have good internet once stationary in Alaska and have listened to Pandora for years but while traveling the Alcan either direction internet is mostly nonexistent.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Later,

J

• 3 weeks later...

I used a pie plate strategically placed behind a magnetic roof puck clinging to a flattened screw in the roof railing the last time in AK. Had a signal at the Hotspot Cafe on the haul road. Much fiddling though. Now using a Browning and will experiment with 4" & 6" aluminum ducting for a reflector when north next time.

Archived