Engine/tranny oil analysis

Kiltedpig

From the Blackstone FAQ - worth reading if you need some grins and giggles even if you don't care about oil:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

How long should the oil stay in the engine before I sample it?

We like to see at least 500-1000 miles to get good data. If the engine has a problem, it may very well show up with fewer miles than that, but more miles are preferred.

My favorite FAQ

I'm confused. I got some results, but they're addressed to Oscar Huff. That's not me, and this is not my engine.

What you are looking at is a sample report. Oscar is my old dog, and he's dead, and he never did an oil sample in his life. Look for an attachment to your email. Those are your results.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If there was a major problem it would probably show up right away. But then again maybe not. Quite the dilemma. Who can you trust? It's a real leap of faith.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Actually IMO for what its worth.....how often do we hear of engine failures in a DP or any class A for that matter. These engines unless they have been severly neglected are nearly bullet proof. They will last longer than the rest of the MH...so will the tranny most of the time.

I bought mine with just a test drive. It was a 8 hr drive to a hick town in the middle of nowhere and we had to decide whether or not to buy it with just the test drive and a night's sleep in a hotel and meeting the previous owners....so far so good.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Actually IMO for what its worth.....how often do we hear of engine failures in a DP or any class A for that matter. These engines unless they have been severly neglected are nearly bullet proof. They will last longer than the rest of the MH...so will the tranny most of the time.

I have personally known two pusher owners who had catastrophic engine failures. Remember Boogity who used to be a regular here? He lost the engine in his 5 or so year old Country Coach. If I remember correctly it was a short block type repair and cost him about $15K. Such failures may not be common but they do happen. Come to think of it, I only personally know of one gasser owner to have a catastrophic engine failure and his was a completely new engine, installed for about $7K.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oil analysis is cheap and easy to do, it can warn you off a problem rig that could cost thousands to repair, decide for yourself on the value of doing the tests.

Same goes for testing the SCA level in the diesels that need it, test strips are cheap, a rebuild is expensive, you decide your risk tolerance.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree Stanley ...it its possible to get the analysis done its the way to go. In my case ...I decided to gamble. For the price I got the MH which was reflected in the fact that it was hrs from nowhere and the seller was discouraged, I figured I could do a new engine and still get it for a reasonable price. Not to mention that this was the first MH of many that my wife actually liked. She said buy it.

I agree with you too Kirk....failures do happen but gee...look at all the diesel engines out there running just fine....the odds are in your favor.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived