Finally found my water leak

Big5er

After spraying a small ocean's worth of water on my truck, time and time again, I have finally located my leak. I happened to be talking to a volvo mechanic I know and mentioned it to him. He immediately told me to check the cabin air filter under the hood.

Here is a video showing how to change the filter so you can all see what/where I am talking about.

Now, the area "in front" of the filter is deeper and has a rubber "drain", "valve" or whatever you want to call it. Any water that gets in "should" go to the bottom, below the filter and out through the drain. Well, my drain was plugged and then the water turned the dust to mud and the mud gummed up the valve even more. I can see a water mark an inch or more up the filter. When I reached up under the housing to just flex the little rubber flapper it just crumbled. The good news is that the water can now drain :) , the bad news is that I need to replace this little valve do-hickey. Does anyone have a parts list or blow up diagram of that filter housing??

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil I have the same thing and I responded to your email. It is not hard to replace but you have to pull some parts off (air cleaner and then the filter box) if it is the same thing I had to replace. It was a round piece of rubber with a rubber nubbin in the center that popped up through a hole up from the bottom. You could possibly replace it in place but it would be a 2 person job (one on top and one on the bottom) because your arms are not long enough to reach both places. Mine was pulled apart for a different reason so that is why I remember replacing it when it was all apart.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Thanks y'all. I guess I am dealership bound, since I have no idea what that is called, etc

Brad, Chance is the one that told me to look there. He said it is a common enough leak.

I think I will replace the gasket around the screen on top while I am at it.

2014 smart Fortwo

Check with Mike at Gater in Minnesota (Resource Guide). He has always found what I needed and I ask for some pretty rare stuff.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'll be stopping by there tomorrow Scott. I'll let you know what they say. If you find it first let us know.

Thanks.

2014 smart Fortwo

Scott, the "valve" at the bottom is part #20440995 and costs $17. The gasket that goes around the grill is 20447222 and costs $9.

Of course now that I have the part numbers I can find them online for about half that price, but my local shop took the time to search out the numbers, so I figured buying from him is the right thing to do.

Hope those are the part numbers you need, Phil

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived