Tank support

Det107

We are in AZ and I found that our gray tank leaks when full. I normally leave it open until I need the extra water when dumping the black. I had to have a service come out and the tech said this happens often in Keystone units. With the bottom pan off I crawled under the 5th wheel and could see how this happens, as the tanks top ledge sets on a set of square rails and nothing supports the bottom. I am going to put two straps on each tank while I can get to them. I believe the stress of the weight even empty bouncing along the roads puts stress on the top seams and they split. Anyone have this type of situation?

When I changed the black water tank in our Teton I used a number of 1" square tube runners under a piece of 1/4" ply to hold the tank. This is the way the factory had them. A piece of high density foam about 1/2" went between the plywood and tank to further displace the support points.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Good chance you leak is where the vent pipe enters the Gray tank. Will only leak when tank is full.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Adding straps may not work out well if the bottom of the tank is very thin material, the straps may cause cracking along the supported to unsupported parts of the bottom.

I'd check for pipe to tank issues as my first thought too.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Adding straps may not work out well if the bottom of the tank is very thin material, the straps may cause cracking along the supported to unsupported parts of the bottom.

I'd check for pipe to tank issues as my first thought too.

x2

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived