Rattlesnakes

JRP

There is really no need to kill them. They don't want to strike - and a goodly number of the actual bites don't even inject venom. They just want you to not step on them or attack them; or BBQ them.

They cannot bite through a leather boot but the hiking "shoes" and boots with nylon sides might be a different story. Even so, I wear those types when I ride mountain bikes.

Several fly fishermen on the WA fly fishing forum claim that they cannot penetrate good waders.

Don't point your walking stick at them. Contrary to popular belief you probably won't be able to "deflect" a strike (they are much faster than you are) and you will probably annoy it. Just walk around it and walk away. Next time you pass that spot the snake will be gone. They can't eat you (you're too big) and they know you can hurt them (you're big).

If you are nervous you can buy snake chaps at Cabela's (or from Amazon, for that matter). But I think it's overkill. My dad, when fly fishing in Montana (where I was born) claimed that he used to wear tin stove pipes around his legs when he walked through tall grass. He claimed that every now and then there would be a ping. But I am not so sure about that story...

If they believe that they are being threatened they'll rattle. When they feel that the immediate threat is gone, they stop rattling. The snakes, themselves, cannot hear their own rattles.

I don't hike as well as I used to but I ride mountain bikes in the desert a lot and I am very cautious about where I put a foot down. Snakes definitely cannot hear you coming on a bicycle.

Most rattlesnake bites are on the hands, feet and ankles. Don't poke around with your hands and walk on paths where you can see ahead. Rattlers prefer not to be in the open unless it's a cool morning; they are cold blooded and will park themselves on a rock in the sun to warm up. All snakes are lethargic (slow) when the temperature is cold. You are more likely to encounter a rattlesnake in the evening or even at night. I always carry a flashlight in my pocket and use it.

Most people - even hikers in the desert - never see a rattlesnake. They almost always feel you coming (especially if you are thumping around) and get out of the way.

Please don't kill them. If they are around kids and pets they will certainly be trying to get away and will not be "hunting" kids or pets.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Living in rattlesnake country I know my eyes should always be on the ground when out wandering around. That said one time I was walking up to a shed to retrieve a hummingbird feeder and heard a hissing sound. There about a foot from me was a big old guy and not real happy. He was trapped between the shed and a retaining wall and there I was about to step on him. Needless to say I swiftly backed up. My mistake was walking up to that shed looking up for the hummingbird feeder instead of down for Rattlers. I might add that my total experience with those guys is that they just want to be left alone. That's the deal I've always have with them. Live and let live I say.

Simply moving a protected species of snake from your RV spot to a weed field across the road can be considered a "taking" under these rules and painfully punished. I'm not saying the rules are good or bad, not arguing for or against them only trying to keep someone unaware of the rules from getting a severe and unexpected punishment.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/laws-policies/section-9.html

SEC. 9.

(a) GENERAL.—(1) Except as provided in sections 6(g)(2) and 10 of this Act, with respect to any endangered species of fish or wildlife listed pursuant to section 4 of this Act it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to— (A) import any such species into, or export any such species from the United States; (B) take any such species within the United States or the territorial sea of the United States;

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/laws-policies/section-3.html

(19) The term “take” means to harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or to attempt to engage in any such conduct.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/laws-policies/section-11.html

Long and complicated, read it at the link.

PENALTIES AND ENFORCEMENT

SEC. 11.

(a) CIVIL PENALTIES.

(B) CRIMINAL VIOLATIONS.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Helen....Southern Alberta has lots of rattlers Lethbridge , Medicine Hat and south to the border they are all over. We have scorpions as well as black widow spiders.

We were boondocking in Wickenburg area and an older RVer there for some reason felt it was his duty to kill as many rattlers as he could find. He had around 6 that he had shot......its a shame that he was doing this.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

This is the url for the post I spoke of up above - Snake bite . Has a picture of the bite. He was on the Peralta trail in Gold Canyon, AZ.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I had a vet once tell me if your dog gets bit by a rattlesnake, give them 1 mg of Benydryl per pound of body weight. I always got my dog the rattlesnake vaccine when we were in snake country. He's got a check up and vaccine update before we leave, I think I'll add this to his list.

Thanks the reminder.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

There used to be a lot of rattlers in the coastal plains and pines down south. The Eastern Diamondback was common. Now I understand they are somewhat endangered. We lived at Orange Beach, Alablama when it wasn't built up like now. I am talking about 1952 and there were plenty. With the vegetation and thick dense weeds it was not easy to see them first. My mom had her hands full with 2 busy little boys that wanted to play with them not to mention trying to keep us out of the water.

My uncle owned about 20 acres of coastal grass outside Dickinson,Tx between Houston and Galvaston and ran some cows that at least once or twice a year it seemed like would get bit on the face or neck while grazing. I don't think they commonly had as much trouble with the bites as humans. I do know that it is fairly common for bird hunters and dogs are apt to get bitten by virtue of where they tend to hunt. I think a fair number of them will use the "snake chaps" or like fiberglass/plastic leggings.

Most of my life I have had more close calls from water moccisons than rattlers. I actually stepped on 2 small ones on the same day in the same area. Luckily they had come out early then the weather took a quick turn to cold and they were very sluggish. I have know moccasins to be aggress and copperheads too. Until recently I had know more people that actually got bitten by copperheads. Most of them in the general vicinity of Lake Whitney in Tx.

A number of years ago I was at Rainbow Plantation and it came on the news that someone that day had bougt some bundled pine straw at Lowe's for gardening and as they were handling it a rattler bit one of the folks. I think it was at the Lowe's in Foley. I had seen some folks just a few hours earlier gathering and bundling some of the pine straw in that area.

Helen....Southern Alberta has lots of rattlers Lethbridge , Medicine Hat and south to the border they are all over. We have scorpions as well as black widow spiders.

We were boondocking in Wickenburg area and an older RVer there for some reason felt it was his duty to kill as many rattlers as he could find. He had around 6 that he had shot......its a shame that he was doing this.

Seriously Jim!!! We were only told we had about 3ft sluggish rattlers in the areas of Medicine Hat, Drumheller and after 20 years living here I never knew we also had scorpions and black widows. Blows my mind how they survive our winters? Had a largish black widow stand on it's haunches watching my every move, even charged towards me not letting me pass to get into the house in Fla couple years ago. Just had to back up and wait for it to scurry away and then get in quick. Few hours before someone tried to kick one like it off the lanai and it popped with hundreds of baby spiders scattering everywhere. Born and reared in the UK the most poisonous thing we were aware of but rarely seen was an Adder and again a bite from one would typically make you feel pretty poorly but not fatal.

I personally don't like snakes or spiders, and have encountered our fair share of water moccasins and sea snakes, due to our interests and hobbies. We just give them a very wide berth. Irrespective of how I feel, it's a shame to hear that guy was killing them, just because :(

Besides boots, buy a pair of snake gaiters (also called snake leggings) if you want to be able to not get hit just walking around. Always remember to step up onto a log and then step away from it. Snakes like to lay right under a log and can hit you quick if you step over a log instead of on top. Avoid prime hunting time for a snake (night and dusk or dawn), don't pick up items laying on the ground, don't stick you hands into holes. This time of the year, if the snakes are coming out of their dens, they like laying on south and east facing rocks to get warmed up by the morning sun. Once you get used to being around them, they have a very distinct "musky" odor that will alert you when one is denned up close by.

I used to catch and sell Easterns, Timber, Water Moccasins (Cottonmouths) and Copper Heads to sell to venom supply houses way back in my youth (early 70's). Snakes haven't changed any....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

A lot of snakes sell cars and rv's or so I have heard.

That's a different kind of snake. - Not deadly but can hurt you lots! Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Isn't it strange how we all stress about creepy crawly things yet don't think twice about driving down the road with strangers, drunks, drug addicts and RVers!!!!! (Only joking).

Point is that lightning is more likely to get you than a snake or even a bear.

As an Australian we are raised with spiders and snakes in our mind all the time. Have 12 of the 6 most venomous snakes in the world.!!!! Well we have a lot. Have killed a lot over the years. (Shhh but there are a lot of folks out there that think the only good snake is a dead snake. Not saying I agree but it's just a fact).

Point is don't get snakes out of perspective. You only see a fraction compared to snakes that see you.

regards

I don't think anyone was insinuating going out and shooting up every snake you see just for the sport of it. I certainly wasn't. But properly licensed (ie. AZ requires a hunting license), knowing how to identify the various species, and knowing your bag limits... I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a snake for your own consumption while out on a stroll through the beautiful Southwest. :D They can be quite delicious. Only kill what you plan to eat. I despise skin and head hunters.

I would hazard to guess that those that say they have been walking out in the deserts for years and have never seen a snake April-October.. you haven't been looking hard enough. LOL They have certainly seen you by the dozens.

High leather, or similar, is generally sufficient. I prefer ranch boots or similar. Try not to step over things, or brush up against foliage. Pointing or trying to clear them out of your path with a stick is REALLY a bad idea... go around. Rattlers can and do loose their rattlers. Don't count on them always giving you a warning.

Rabbit and prairie dog might find their way in to the pot as well on occasion. :P I would agree though.. most folks that get bit probably deserved it.

Having hunted and fished in Arizona for 40+ years I can say have seem most of the things talked about here on numerous occasions. i agree with all the advice as well and can say I personally just go around rattlesnakes and live and let live. I have only seen one Gila Monster though which surprises me to be honest. :) Just give then all do respect and move on and don't let them bother you.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Archived