VNL420

spindrift

I believe the standard wheelbase for this model is 217". If the unit is singled long, would it still be too short for a SC?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

On these trucks it is customary, even preferred to mount the hitch a few feet behind the rear axle. This should allow plenty of room for a bed to carry a Smart car. I don't remember the wheel base on my 420 but it is not any longer than 217". I run tandem and the frame was lengthened about 5'. The hitch is mounted at the end of the frame. As I said I carry a Subaru length wise. The car is raised in the front high enough to carry a RZR with the roll bar removed under it across the bed. It also has two one hundred gallon water tanks mounted along the sides along with a generator and extra propane and gas cans. Lots of toolboxes. Surely there is room for a Smart on the one you are asking about. If you have additional questions I bet someone here can help.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I'd be more concerned with front axle rating/weight.

Interesting to know as to what standard axle is under the front of those 420's and to what extent the 217" wheelbase allows for removal of weight bias from front by moving heavier items to rear.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

I'd be more concerned with front axle rating/weight.

Interesting to know as to what standard axle is under the front of those 420's and to what extent the 217" wheelbase allows for removal of weight bias from front by moving heavier items to rear.

It's counterintuitive, Bruce, but a 420 probably wouldn't have a serious front axle weight problem, even with the shorter wheelbase, unless it's a very unusual configuration.

The Volvo weight problems derive primarily from their heavy steel cabs (comparably sized competitive make models that extensively use aluminum and/or composites don't have the same problems, but they don't have Volvo's safety record, either, so it's a tradeoff). That's why the most severe problems tend to come on 770/780 models. They have longer wheelbases, but much longer -- and therefore, heavier -- cabs. The 610/630/660/670 cab tends to have less of a problem, due to having 16" times two walls and a floor less steel structure in them, as compared to the larger models. The 420 is another 19" or so shorter than that.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived