up grade V new trailer

We have been talking about buying a new 5th wheel after I retire . But after looking at the new ones and seeing the price tag on those shined up new models we have been discussing just up grading our old one.

Come to find out the only thing DW wanted in a new trailer was a grab handle on the steps leading to the bedroom .I can do this in a matter of minutes

The trailer is due for some new tires and I got this covered

I would like to replace the refrigerator with a residential model, this is what I need some help with . The one we have is a 8ft Dometic and is situated over the water heater .

Could anyone that has replaced the refrigerator in a similar location supply the model so that I can start measuring and researching the model that will fit best ?

Thank you

It seems that refrigerator manufacturers change models - and sizes - pretty frequently so a replacement even as recently as six months ago might not even be available any more. I discovered that when I tried to find a replacement for my Dometic.

What I've done is measured the space available and entered it into my smartphone's notes. I periodically visit Lowe's and check out what they have. If I find one that fits - and if I haven't already put the money for it somewhere else - I'll jump on it then. I have found a couple that would work out but it had not been convenient to buy them. I would really like to find a small (8 or 9 cu ft) Samsung that fits. So far no luck.

Of course, when my Dometic stops working I'll have to jump in and perhaps not get exactly the right unit. Or the price for what I want could increase. Or the unit - like all units - goes out of production.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

You can also go to compactappliance.com I have bought several things from them because they are reasonable. Go to the apartment refrigerator section they start out a around 7 cu ft and go up to teens and most have free shipping.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Tex Bigfoot

What is the model # of your fridge. Should be on a label inside of the fridge compartment itself. We have a Dometic NDR1062 which is a 10.6cu ft that sits on top of the compartment that holds the furnace in our 2004 Dutch Star and will be replacing it next week with a Haier 10.1cu ft residential. Not really that hard to figure out what size you need and where to buy if you furnish a little more information.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Tex Bigfoot

What is the model # of your fridge. Should be on a label inside of the fridge compartment itself. We have a Dometic NDR1062 which is a 10.6cu ft that sits on top of the compartment that holds the furnace in our 2004 Dutch Star and will be replacing it next week with a Haier 10.1cu ft residential. Not really that hard to figure out what size you need and where to buy if you furnish a little more information.

model number is DM2862

Overall Dimensions: 60 51/64"H X 24 7/8"W X 26 1/32"D

Enclosure Dimensions: 59 15/16"H X 23 11/16"W X 24"D -

I have been looking at the Haier models HRF12WNDWW or the model HRF10WNDWW

but I'm not sold on any one brand this is just a start. I also not on the Haier specs that they do not give HXDXW but just give the numbers .

Edit: another question has came up how do you keep the doors closed during travel ?

Tex Bigfoot

Next week, we will be replacing our Dometic NDR1062(10.6cu ft) fridge with the Haier 10.2cu ft residential(HA10TG30SB) which is the black one we purchased from Lowes. After several years/mods to our rv fridge,(including the addition of the Amish cooling coils) I've lost confidence in their ability of these types of fridges to operate in a safe and functional manner. Lowes also has these in white or stainless steel. We managed to get a new leftover model from last year with the cooling coils on the rear of the fridge vs the current year with the coils underneath. The Haier dimensions are:

W-23 5/8

D-26 5/8

H-59 5/8

This will fit in our current opening with possibly very minor mods. This type of fridge will not be flush in the front but protrude out a couple of inches so the doors, in our case, can be opened more than 90 degrees if the shelves need to be taken out or readjusted. Even though I have a 2000W modified sine wave inverter that would be more that adequate to handle the fridge when needed, I chose to install a separate 1000W pure sine wave one for that purchase only. This was based on advice received from another member here on the forum as some fridges may not work as efficiently on modified sine wave power. I also purchased a separate on/off switch for the inverter , a transfer switch and 200A inline fuse. Based on several others advice, I will most likely will be adding 1-2 (4) inch 12v computer case fans in the outside fridge compartment and control them with either an on/off switch or some time of thermal disc to help keep the rear compartment from getting to warm when the outside temps get 80-85+. The owners manual for this and several other residential fridges that I researched recommended storing the unit(s) generally in the 50-95F range for proper operation. I will initially, put a remote stat outside that can be read from in side the mh and make a decision later. Hopefully by this time next week, it will be done.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

JC2, does the Haier vent from under? Many of them use the front under the doors for venting. In which case they would not seem to need supplemental forced venting. ????

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack Mayer

The current model year of the fridge we have purchased has the coils on the bottom of the fridge similar to some residential ones, however, Lowes had (1) last years model which has the coils mounted on the rear of the fridge. It's highly probable that I will need some type of fan assist to draw air in through the outside bottom vent. I will, based on suggestions from others that have used this same fridge, cover the vent openings except for the bottom one, add 1-2 12v fans to pull in outside air blowing it against the coils before exiting the roof vent and use some type of screening on the one opening to keep the bugs out.

I read where some have used short strips of heavy duty Velcro, bungee cords, etc, while others have used fridge bars purchased at camping world, ppl parts and adventurer.net. I'll see if I can locate some links on this.

Archived