Toad debris protection

Please, comments on experience with a Protect-A-Tow type of product (designed to protect toad from road debris thrown up by our RV). This product is a fabric apron material that lies in a horizontal postion and goes below the tow bar between the rig and toad to reflect downward airborn debris. Saw one positive for the above product & another for Roadmaster but could not locate on their site.

Thank you.

(FYI) changing from 22 year old Toyota PU with 310,000 of which 80,000 was a toad to new Subaru Forester manual)

We've used our Protect-A-Tow with two Toyota RAV4's now with over 40,000 miles in tow, and have been very please with the performance. I installed it after paying several hundred dollars to get chips from road debris fixed on our first RAV. Once installed, it only takes a minute or two to hook it up when traveling. When we unhook, we leave the PAT hooked to the coach and just roll it up with the support rod in the middle. We hook it to the two center attaching eyes on the coach with short bungee cords. That way, we need only unroll it and reconnect the two clips to the toad when hooking up again, and clip on the support rod.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I found info. on Protect-A-Tow on line doing a google search. So far I haven't had any stone problems with out one but was looking at them. I think the Road Master one was a lot more expensive than what I coud find for the Protect-A-Tow. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We towed with a Blue Ox bar and no protection for several years but when I began to notice a lot of rock ships on the nose of the CR-V I loosened the purse strings and bought a Kar-Gard. I then used it for the following several years and was very pleased with the results. Even so, I think that the most effective protection is one of the under skirt devices, but they are also more challenge to use.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Protect a tow is a good product. If you have a rear facing exhaust on your Motorhome, you need to be careful of clearances between the exhaust tip and the fabric. Particularly if you have a newer MH that uses the high heat regen cycle for the pollution control system.

Yes, a rear facing exhaust can be an issue in some cases. I do recall seeing one PAT installation a couple of years ago, where they had pop-riveted an approx. 8"x12" piece of thin aluminum, perhaps flashing, to the underside of the fabric to serve as a heat shield. It seemed to be working.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

My pickup truck that I tow has the 3M plastic coating on the front end.....pretty much rock chip free.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I can't answer regarding that product but I can say what has worked for us. We have a 32 foot class A towing a Scion XB behind, We have mudflaps behind the rear wheels and about 2/3 between the wheels and the rear end of the motor home we have a full width mud flap/guard that hangs down about 18 inches. Between those two, we have very little that gets past them. But, I do put a bra on the little car. I gave the front end of the car a good paste wax prior to installing the bra. I got a very small amount of dirt under the rear edge of the bra that scuffed the paint. Darn! But the next time out, I'm going to install the bra and put blue painters tape across the back edge of the bra that should keep any debris from finding it's way under it. I hope this helps in some small way. I have seen all the other ways to protect the car but I just don't like any of them as far as ease of use goes.

Ray

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V

2011 Scion XB toad

We have used, for ten years, a Tow Car Shield. http://www.coastlinervandoffroad.com/Tow_Car_Shield.php We started out with one on a Jeep Cherokee, used it for several years, then, when we traded off the Jeep, we liked it so well we bought another one for our GMC Envoy. We used it for several years, then when we bought a new Terrain this year, we found that it could easily adapt to the Terrain.

It covers the entire front of the car from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the windshield, including the sides of the entire front fenders. It is easy to put on, taking about 6--8 minutes, folds up in a provided bag, which easily stores in a bin or in the back of the car. It protects from stones, debri, anything you might come across. It is a heavy duty vinyl with a cotton-like backing. We are careful to insure that the car is clean before it is installed, and we have had no adverse problems with it. We have used our current cover for about eight years and we clean it when it gets dirty, put on a coat of 303 protectant about once per year, and other than that we provide not other special care. Although it is initially pricy, it lasts a long time and we feel it is well worth the cost.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Some years ago we went to Alaska with a fiend that had the car shield thats like a bra, but covers winshield and such. My MH with mudflap towing Honda sedan incurred thousands of dollars in damage to paint and glass and more. Friend did not have one cratch or chip. I have since bought the Blue Ox car guard, but it is not as good as complete coverage.

Archived