Brake Buddy Classic

Dick N

I towed with the Brake Buddy for a lot of years & miles but not towing a hybrid. The first question that I would have is if the vehicle is capable of being towed, but if it is, then the BB should work. Does the car have hydraulic brakes? If so there should be no reason not to use it.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Can a hybrid be towed four-down?

Depends on the model and year, but most do not seem to be. When Ford made an Escape hybrid, it was towable four-down. That means it is possible with some designs.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Can a hybrid be towed four-down?

Yes. I have towed a Escape Hybrid thousands of miles (per owners manual) as have many others. Hybrids are excellent toads due to the drivetrain configuration. A hybrid has full time brakes whether the engine is running or not. Thus; wondering if anyone here has towed any hybrid using a Brake Buddy Classic. Brake Buddy has a special unit just for hybrids. However; purportedly some have used a Classic on a hybrid with success.

Just wondering if anyone on this forum may have experience with a hybrid/Classic combo which I am contemplating doing. I would be keenly interested in first hand experience from someone.

• 2 months later...

I towed with the Brake Buddy for a lot of years & miles but not towing a hybrid. The first question that I would have is if the vehicle is capable of being towed, but if it is, then the BB should work. Does the car have hydraulic brakes? If so there should be no reason not to use it.

Hi,

Brake Buddy tech says that there is only one brake buddy model that can be used on hybrids. That model is the Stealth. I have vantage select and BB say it is not to be used on hybrids. Hybrids have hydraulic brakes BUT they are electric brakes that are on all the time and it takes a specific aux brake system. I am not saying that the electric brakes are trying to stop the car all the time. They are always energized and take very little pressure to activate. Remember hybrids charge the battery when braking. Hope this helps. Not to technical but I hope it helps.

BTW I may have the BB Vantage Select that was only used 4 times, Just got it last march.

Tim

Home in our dome - -

Travel in our Allegro

Archived