1993 Holiday Rambler. Make offer? What would one offer?

Deezl Smoke

Providing everything is in working condition, reasonable mileage, etc etc etc.. just based on pictures and considering the time of year.. Maybe 8k as a starting offer. No matter how nice it looks.. it IS a 93'. If I'm not getting a deal too good to pass up.. I wouldn't touch it. No matter how well the interior and exterior have been kept up, the internals age.

That's just me though.

That's pretty much how I figure it too Yarome. It has to be one of those "too good to pass up" or I leave it where it sits. It's only about a half hour drive on weekend mornings from me. I may have to go look at it and see what's up as there are no details on the dealer's site. I was thinking even in mint cond., I may start at 3,000 since I'd have to go thru the out of state titling crud if I were to fall in love with it. I like to barter, and use stuff that I get because someone "wants it gone now", to barter up.

I'm a work'n on it.

Oops.. that should have read 8k as a top offer. Nada shows a low retail of 8.5, but I would never pay that. Holding tanks get old and brittle, seals dry out... etc. I wonder if the no sales tax for OR residents carries over to RV's. Wouldn't mind a follow-up on what you find out.

~Cheers

I guess for me it would depend a lot on what it actually looks like and things like tire age/condition, and wear and tear. You would be risking buying all old appliances that may die as well but it might be a bargain. NADA says high retail is $10,300 and average $8,500. I have seen them at that age that aren't worth driving home and others have been well cared for and would be a bargain. Keep in mind that a set of six tires will cost you about $3/4K so old tires would be a deal breaker for me. I would also want actual weights to compare to the ratings as motorhomes in the 90's were famous for being near the GVWR while empty. I would also look very closely for suspension sag as you might need to add air bags or rebuild the springs as that is very common on older gas chassis and make sure that there is no distortion on the sidewalls that would indicate the sagging of the frame rail extensions, as the chassis did not come with a tag axle but that was added by HR when they stretched the chassis length and rear overhang.

If it is in mint condition and passes those tests, then I might offer $8K and might even go $10K if the tires are very recent and no signs of any problems. Even under ideal conditions I would not pay more than $10K.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk. I'm thinking it is likely a dog or it would have sold before they went to the "make offer". But I have also, on several occasions, missed those deals of a lifetime because I made assumptions before I saw the item. I'm really happy with my old 1990 Hitch Hiker2 trailer. Having said that, now I'll leave the drive way and it will break in half. But I have been crawling all over it and under it and thru it etc. trying as best I can to find any jury rigging or other issues that may cause problems, and so far, I have not found any.

They said they open at about 10:00 am on sunday so I may try to leave here at about 9:15 or so if I choose to make the trip.

I'm a work'n on it.

I'm not so sure that being slow to sell means it is a dog. When I sold my 14 year old Cruise Master I found that very few people were interested in it. In the first two months with it on Craig's List and a few other places, I got only 3 phone calls and one looker. It took me more than 8 months to sell it and then I accepted the wholesale price for it. There really isn't a very good market for RVs once they pass 10 years of age and most buyers are not willing to pay actual value.

The people who bought mine(2 1/2 years ago) still had it last spring and called me to say how happy they were and how grateful for the care that it had when I owned it. I think that you should probably look, but just be very careful. If you don't have one, here is a link to a good check list to use there.

Just got back from looking at it. WOW !!!! The phrase that goes with the acronym P.O.S. does not even begin to describe it. The pics were taken earlier and it was raining harder inside than outside. Completely ruined and not worth a penny more than the tires on it. Salesman said it is a consign and the guy went to the make offer because once the rains started, it started raining inside too. Too bad. Was likely a nice rig in it's day.

Kirk, the salesman said pretty much what you say about the slow sales not being any semblance of the quality. He has a nice little 21' Tioga that come from the original owner and is near mint. A few cosmetics and a ps pump, and it would almost pass for new inside. But it has been on the lot a while and they gave too much for it because they wanted to make the money on the other end of the trade. So on paper, they need to make a fair amount. But,......................this time of year, cash does talk quite clear and loud.

I'm a work'n on it.

But it has been on the lot a while and they gave too much for it because they wanted to make the money on the other end of the trade. So on paper, they need to make a fair amount. But,......................this time of year, cash does talk quite clear and loud.

Don't believe everything that salesman says. Remember that the more he gets from a sale the more money he gets paid.I highly doubt that they allowed anything more than wholesale value and in most cases they use 80% of wholesale value. I know an ex RV salesman and one who is still in RV sales and both say that the dealers actually figure 80% of wholesale in nearly all trades so that if it does not move they can sell to one of the wholesale dealers to get it off of their lot. Both also agree that they have never seen any used RV listed on the dealer's books at more than whole sale. Of course they jack that up on a new rig by basing everything on the new RV's MSRP, and sometimes just plain lie to buyers.

If you are interested in the Tioga, look it up in the NADA book at your nearest public library and see what it shows to be wholesale price and you'll be close to what they actually consider it to be worth.

Archived