Service Dogs

DoggyDaddy

It's "Have Dog Will Travel".

Many times I have had to educate businesses and law enforcement about the rights of Service Dogs.

Seeing eye and hearing dogs are the most know kind of service animals. But many disabilities are not visible like PTSD.

Therapy and companion animals do not meet the criteria of service animals in accordance with the ADA. A service animal is not a pet and must be a dog that assists a person with a disability.

A service animal does not have to be professionally trained or certified.

ADA Bulletin http://www.ada.gov/svcabrpt.pdf

VIDEO

DOJ FAQ http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

ADA Definition of Service Dog http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/297

Tax Deductible http://www.ehow.com/info_7758549_service-dogs-deductible-taxes.html

Service Dog Laws by State http://timberlys-all-about-service-dogs.tripod.com/sdlawsbystate.html

VA Service & Guide Dogs http://www.va.gov/health/ServiceAndGuideDogs.asp

How to Report Violations http://www.ehow.com/how_2087586_report-violations-americans-disabilities-act.html

Health Privacy Law http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html

I have a trained therapy dog and when I was going through training, we were told that if any of us ever went in a store with our dog wearing it's therapy shirt, trying to act like we had a service dog, we would immediately be kicked out of the group, no questions asked. Our trainer really got upset by people passing off therapy dogs as service dogs. She also got upses by people claiming they had therapy dogs but had no training or certification.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Earl,

Fraudulent representation as an owner or trainer of a service dog is a real problem. In Calif, such liars are guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Many states have laws to protect service animals from injuries and death from other dogs and people and also the rights of service dogs owners under the ADA. And with these laws come penalties which include jail, fine, and allowing those guilty to be sued for damages.
AND for those that do not know, A therapy dog is a pet trained to provide affection and comfort to people in hospitals,retirement homes, nursing homes, schools, hospices, disaster areas, and to people with learning difficulties.

Therapy dogs come in all sizes and breeds. The most important characteristic of a therapy dog is its temperament. A good therapy dog must be friendly, patient, confident, gentle, and at ease in all situations. Therapy dogs must enjoy human contact and be content to be petted and handled, sometimes clumsily.

A therapy dog's primary job is to allow unfamiliar people to make physical contact with it and to enjoy that contact. Children in particular enjoy hugging animals; adults usually enjoy simply petting the dog. The dog might need to be lifted onto, or climb onto, an individual's lap or bed and sit or lie comfortably there. Many dogs contribute to the visiting experience by performing small tricks for their audience or by playing carefully structured games. In hospice environments, therapy dogs can play a role in palliative care by reducing death anxiety.

Fraudulent claiming of pets as service dogs is a real problem most places, especially in any city of the US. With no legislation about animal, trainer, or owner certifications there is simply no way for a business owner to be sure of his position if the animal is wearing any of the many different forms of ID that anyone can purchase via the internet. With a daughter & several of her friends that I am acquainted with using guide dogs as well as another friend who has used hearing dogs for years, I am very aware of the abuse of the provisions.

Some years ago I met a dog owner who boasted of using such IDs as a means to take their pets everywhere and so not need to worry about them when traveling or visiting attractions. They were the people who first made me aware of how easily it can be faked. Since there is provision in the law for "self trained" service animals, there is simply no way that a business can know what to do when a dog wearing such ID is brought into the facility and then becomes aggressive or in some other way problematic. Because of my family connections I have done more than the average research into service animal training and no major, recognized service dog training program for any type service dog, tolerates any from of aggressiveness in their animals, toward people or other animals. Yet it continues to happen with ever increasing frequency and most owners use the claim of "self training" which the laws do protect and leave the businessman in a very difficult spot. There are cities that are starting to enact registration laws to protect the public from these animals and it is long over due.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

X2 Everything Kirk says.

From the Department of Justice, RE: Service dogs in a business:

10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.

So there is hope.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

If someone makes a false claim of a service dog, perhaps instead of having to prove they have a service dog, they have to prove they have a need for one.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Guest Pensauncola

If someone makes a false claim of a service dog, perhaps instead of having to prove they have a service dog, they have to prove they have a need for one.

Newt

Yes. I have no real knowledge of these matters, but I do read all these posts on this and other forums as well as many of the links provided. It seems that a weakness in a well intended set of laws is lack of proof. It seems that a person can declare him/herself to be a disabled veteran, even though the military and/or VA doesn't even recognize their service. Then, that person can declare his pet as a service animal, even though they claimed to have trained the animal themselves.

Then, a business or organization or government entity must instantly assume that this person indeed has a need for a service animal, and that the animal is indeed a service animal, based strictly on the word of the person involved.

A difficult issue at best.

However, the Fair Housing Authority has their own version of "assistance animal" which can be ANY animal which provides emotional support for an individual needing it. As a landlord, I have to abide by that and allow "compassionate companions" in a rental and cannot by law charge a "pet deposit" or increase the rent because the FHA does not consider them a pet. I cannot require any verification only ask that a doctor indicate said tenant has a disability and is "aided" by the animal. No specifics.

As a landlord, I would be fine with the ADA's definition, but I must also abide by the FHA as well. Potentially that apartment would be difficult to re-rent at a later time to someone with allergies. . . even if it is cleaned, fumigated, etc. And I cannot charge the tenant with that animal for that extra cleaning. I love animals, but they do pose a problem for landlords.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Teacher's Pet
Mom to 1 Scottie, Brendon

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT

Travel summers and whenever else I can

http://skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

Kind of neat waking up this morning and having a PM from DoggyDaddy. Add to that while Kirk and I sometimes bump heads X3 what he says. There is currently a petition going around asking for laws to regulate the sale of service dog gear when that is not the problem.

@ DoggyDaddy (Old cartoon was Auggie Doggy and Doggy Daddy and my first sheepdog was named Auggy Doggy) I've never seen that video although I knew of its existence. Wonderful post. Only two errors. The first is not youjr fault it's in the video. Service Monkey's are no longer covered under the ADA for public access however are covered under the FHA and ACCA (the airlines). The other is the business brief is from 2002 and was replaced by this one dated 2010 which states service animals are defined as dogs and mini-horses, changes the requirements for an SD.

Dog folks said

"10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually."

That changed too. 1) a single incident is not sufficient reason to exclude a service dog. 2) The handler must be given an opportunity to get their dog under control.

I agree with the first part. All dogs bark at doorbells. Jin and I were in a Denny's one day and a doorbell sounded (I guess they use it in house) and from under the table came this huge woof. Surprised a lot of people who didn't know Jin was there. I defused a potential problem by saying loudly, "Silly dog we don't have a doorbell." Got my result a bunch of people laughing. The second part loosely written.

IMO I don't like the way the new ADA is written. It opens too many doors for faker dogs and I have had way too many issues with fakers dogs to tolerate it anymore..

Quote Kirk

Some years ago I met a dog owner who boasted of using such IDs as a means to take their pets everywhere and so not need to worry about them when traveling or visiting attractions.

Several weeks ago my friend Andee and her service dog were in Walmart when she was attacked by another "service dog" The manager called the cops and police were going to arrest her for having a fake service dog because the other person produced an ID card saying she had a certified and registered SD and Andee did not.. Fortunately Andee was with another SD team who was able to sort out the problem. By that time the faker had vanished.

I'd like to try something, sort of a game. We have talked about the subject of service dogs and house dogs at great length over the last year. Also covered a lot of law, an incident when Jin was under the weather and a lot more. I'm curious now and I('m wondering if anyone could now tell a service dog from a faker when in a restaurant, supermarket or elsewhere? OI've learned to tell and I'll withhold mine so as not to influence your answer. One other thing. If I see a faker in a store or cafe I'm not going to make an issue out of it as long as the dog behaves and is acting like a service dog.

Doggy Daddy Welcome aboard.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

My quote was from the Depatrment of Justice link, as supplied by Doggie Dog. So if it is out of date blame him.LOL

(I would more likey believe that the DOJ has not updated thier web site. )

Camping Rig:

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Fulltimer since 2006

Newt

Personally, I am more concerned about people who don't have to prove they are citizens to be in our country legally.

Proving one needs a service animal would disclose one's disability and that would be in violation of current HIPPA Health Privacy Laws. How does one define "Need"? A blind person can get along with a white cane but a dog can be better. Diabetics who are lazy or find it difficult to monitor their blood sugar and diet, should they be denied a dog than can alert them when to take insulin?

Now if those with service animals were required to obtain a letter from their primary doctor certifying and validating they have a dog that assists and or alerts them to their disability, that would be a positive step. In addition a letter like that can be used with the IRS.

There are ways to inquire if a person has a service dog, sadly many police officers don't know what they are, much less the laws protecting the rights of the disabled. An example is of a Veteran who was kicked off a New Jersey Board Walk. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389773/Disabled-Afghanistan-veteran-Jared-Goering-kicked-New-Jersey-boardwalk-walking-service-dog.html

I have been challenged many times about my dog along my travels and when refused entry or service after trying to educate them, I kindly ask for them to call the local law enforcement. When asked why, I advise them I want a police report to document their name, the business, etc.. as laws provide me to file charges against them and seek financial damages for violation of my rights under Federal Law and state. I served over 20 years of my life in the Army defending others Rights, and will not let mine be stepped on.

Oh yeah, Anyone know where in the U.S. the ADA does not apply to individuals with Service Dogs? I recently discovered the answer first hand.

Doggie Dog wrote: "I'm curious now and I('m wondering if anyone could now tell a service dog from a faker when in a restaurant, supermarket or elsewhere?"

O.K. I'll take a shot at your question. There are only two questions a business owner may ask: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. (DOJ Publication)

I would ask these two questions and try to determine if the animal in question meets the definition of a "service dog."

Definition: Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. (DOJ)

Other than, that I quite honestly haven’t got a clue.

Camping Rig:

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Fulltimer since 2006

Doggie Dog wrote: "I'm curious now and I('m wondering if anyone could now tell a service dog from a faker when in a restaurant, supermarket or elsewhere?"

O.K. I'll take a shot at your question. There are only two questions a business owner may ask: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. (DOJ Publication)

I would ask these two questions and try to determine if the animal in question meets the definition of a "service dog.

As I attend Motorcycle Rallies and other city venues that are posted "No Dog Allowed", I observed knowledgeable Police like to ask trick questions to help them identify imposters.

The questions asked first are: a. Is that your pet? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

b. Is that a Therapy dog? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

c. Is that your companion animal? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

If an answer of No is received on questions a,b,& c, then ask:

d. Is that a service dog? If they say No, then it is not a service dog. BUT if they say Yes, follow up with...

e. Is that your service dog? If answer is No, then dog can be denied entry as it is not with the individual with the disability.

If the answer is Yes, then the question of "What does he do?" is followed in which the common reply "He assists me with..." or "He alerts me..... to my medical condition"

BUT THEN AGAIN, I have been asked by police, "What is your disability?" Which is in violation of HIPPA.

Bottom line.... Both Police and Businesses need to be trained and educated regarding the ADA, HIPPA and Service Animals.

I do carry a photo Service Dog ID badge with me and a picture of it on my cell phone which helps too. I find service dog vests are not compatible with high temperatures and can be a nuisance to carry everywhere.

As I attend Motorcycle Rallies and other city venues that are posted "No Dog Allowed", I observed knowledgeable Police like to ask trick questions to help them identify imposters.

The questions asked first are: a. Is that your pet? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

c. Is that your companion animal? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

d. Is that a service dog? If they say No, then it is not a service dog. BUT if they say Yes, follow up with...

e. Is that your service dog? If answer is No, then dog can be denied entry as it is not with the individual with the disability.

If the answer is Yes, then the question of "What does he do?" is followed in which the common reply "He assists me with..." or "He alerts me..... to my medical condition"

BUT THEN AGAIN, I have been asked by police, "What is your disability?" Which is in violation of HIPPA.

Bottom line.... Both Police and Businesses need to be trained and educated regarding the ADA, HIPPA and Service Animals.

I do carry a photo Service Dog ID badge with me and a picture of it on my cell phone which helps too. I find service dog vests are not compatible with high temperatures and can be a nuisance to carry everywhere.

I understand your position, but also consider that the wording of the police are sometimes standard procedure for gathering information.

Like the question: "When did you stop beating you wife?"

I'm not saying it is right or proper, but that is the way it is.

Camping Rig:

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Fulltimer since 2006

Doggy Daddy

yeah, Anyone know where in the U.S. the ADA does not apply to individuals with Service Dogs? I recently discovered the answer first hand.

Yes I do as a matter of fact. The ADA does not apply to housing. That is covered by the FHA. Certain restrictions apply to air travel and those are covered under Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) and the TSA. Amtrak has it's own rules as well. Be cautious when traveling AMtrak they have the legal authorization to separate you and your dog. Service dogs are not allowed in any place that is considered a sterile environment like a kitchen or hospital. The last place SDs are not covered is in a private residence. That depends on the owner of the residence. Also while a service dog may accompany it's handler in a police car if arrested there is no requirement to keep the team together. In all likelihood the cops will call animal control separating the SD team and in doing so destroy the team. There is also a better than 50% chance that the cops or animal control will kill your dog and that is very well documented. Considering that you should also know that there are more cops out there that are afraid of dogs and will act accordingly. Serivce dogs have been killed trying to help their handlers because the leos didn't know what was going on.

The "Two Questions."

Anyone who asks a trick question...

a. Is that your pet? If they answer is yes, then it is not a service dog.

...is in violation of ADA law. If a cop asks A,B or C it is a violation of the ADA. The questions are specifically worded and may be slightly paraphrased but trick questions are a LEO trick and they are verboten. But then again in general don't expect LEOS to know SD law. Everyone I know who has an SD has learned to rote answer the challenge questions with an automatic, "He's a service dog" and "He provides me with medical alerts" That is all I have to say. A LEO or gatekeeper goes beyond that they have violated the law.

OTOH you can also get a little evil with gatekeepers as well. Sort of payback to people who constantly ask you about your dog and disability. When they ask some inane question and reply with something like, "Oh he helps me with <insert answer here> thank you. Tell me hows the sex life going, you ever get your orgasm problems worked out?"

We (the service dog mentors) encourage people to practice answers and comebacks for a lot of reasons. The way a challenge can be issued by a gatekeepper or LEO can put a person off especially if they are not doing well or have mental health issues. Somewhere I have a list of legit answers and retorts that people can use.

"What kind of service dog is that?" Answer: Air Force. Answer: "He's not he's, a drug sniffing dog." issued with a command for the dog to sniff the miscreant who dared disturb me with such a stupid question. Ask them a personal question back, have fun with it.

So how do you tell an SD without disturbing the handler. In general and when on duty watch the dog. A properly trained SD never leaves his handlers side, always walks with a very loose leash, When they reach their table or booth the dog goes under with no instruction and lies down. SDs do not sniff the meat counter or want to greet other people unless told to do so. A service dog ignores everything when on duty. Look at the gear the dog is wearing. Is it well worn? That gear gets a lot of use. Is it a mobility or support harness of some sort? Those are expensive, even the cheap ones. Is the person flashing an ID card. We encourage all SD Teams to carry TEAM ID for medical purposes only and discourage anyone from showing any kind of ID when asked by the general public or a gatekeeper Faker owners are quick with those cards and also nervous about it. A proper team even when having a bad day is confident and the dog knows what to do.

Where's the off button. "Rant Off" :D

Ranger Said: "There is also a better than 50% chance that the cops or animal control will kill your dog and that is very well documented."

Could you supply some links or some other documentation.?

As a certified Animal Control Officer, in the past, I can assure you that this DOES NOT happen in Florida.

Camping Rig:

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Fulltimer since 2006

Ranger and Jin, on 27 Oct 2013 - 09:08, said:

Yes I do as a matter of fact. The ADA does not apply to housing. That is covered by the FHA. Certain restrictions apply to air travel and those are covered under Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) and the TSA. Amtrak has it's own rules as well. Be cautious when traveling AMtrak they have the legal authorization to separate you and your dog. Service dogs are not allowed in any place that is considered a sterile environment like a kitchen or hospital. The last place SDs are not covered is in a private residence. That depends on the owner of the residence. Also while a service dog may accompany it's handler in a police car if arrested there is no requirement to keep the team together. In all likelihood the cops will call animal control separating the SD team.......

The "Two Questions."

Anyone who asks a trick question...

...is in violation of ADA law. If a cop asks A,B or C it is a violation of the ADA. The questions are specifically worded and may be slightly paraphrased but trick questions are a LEO trick and they are verboten. But then again in general don't expect LEOS to know SD law. Everyone I know who has an SD has learned to rote answer the challenge questions with an automatic, "He's a service dog" and "He provides me with medical alerts" That is all I have to say. A LEO or gatekeeper goes beyond that they have violated the law.

OTOH you can also get a little evil with gatekeepers as well. Sort of payback to people who constantly ask you about your dog and disability. When they ask some inane question and reply with something like, "Oh he helps me with <insert answer here> thank you. Tell me hows the sex life going, you ever get your orgasm problems worked out?"

I know of no law prohibiting police from asking trick questions or lying to suspects to extract information. HIPPA protects the privacy of your health. Wonder if it is legal for a cop to ask if you use drugs or what ones? hummmm Baby aspirin is a drug, lol.

I served 20 years in the Army and it reaffirmed my respect for authority, laws, and the courage to question and challenge them. I once pulled over a car full of cops for littering - but that's another story.

THE answer to the riddle I was hoping for was Indian Casino's. Tribal Lands is not mentioned in the ADA and are considered sovereign land of a Sovereign Nation. I was at the Spot 29 Casino outside of Palm Springs and was enjoying a drink with my dog lying at my feet and two polite Indian Police asked me to take my dog out of the casino per instructions of the Casino Manager. That is when I was told of sovereign land. I filled out a Casino Complaint Form and left. Later on the phone I found out the ADA does not apply to Indian Land. Turns out the Casino did not have a Policy regarding service dogs. The Tribal Council reviewed the complaint and witness statement of the dogs and officers behavior, and established a Policy to allow Service Animals throughout the Casino. I was invited back with the dog, given two tickets for dinner and given an apology for the inconvenience.

I too can get a little Evil...lol. Once during the Street Vibrations Motorcycle Rally I was exiting Circus Circus and came across a pair of Reno's finest in front of the Silver Legacy. It was Friday nite and So Virginia street was full of bikers. One officer said to me, "No dogs are allowed" I responded with, "You're mistaken officer, dogs are allowed, Pet's are not." "What" and I repeated myself. He tapped his badge and I showed him my dog's Service Dog's Badge tapping it. We did the two questions and he then said "Out of curiosity, what is your disability?" I responded "Officer, out of curiousity, how many times a week do you jack @## a week in front of your wife? His partner started to laugh and he started to turn red. I then said "Your sex life is none of my fu@&ing business and my health is none of yours" The officers turned and walked away to the sound of bikers cheering. That made my day.

Another time years ago in Hollister an officer directly asked me"What's you disability?" I responded " That's between me, my dog and my doctor and none of your fu@&ing business." He replied, "You're being a jerk" and I said with a smile, "How's it feel?"

There are many reports of violating civil rights of service dog owners. Check out: http://www.servicedogblog.com/

By the way, have you resolved your problem with Glendale AZ?

I believe I can understand your frustration with authorities over the whole ADA issue as I am disabled, but without a service dog. (No need) . I am not knocking or criticizing you, but am truly confused.

Both you and Ranger have mentioned to being a little smart with police on the street. What I don't understand is how that helps your cause?

You are not ever going to win with police on the street. The street is their “turf” and they are experts. They will determine what happens there. Fight it another time, in another forum, like court. You would very rarely see a lawyer act that way. They know better.

On the street it is: "Yes sir" "No Sir"

In court it is: "This officer is not competent, lazy, poorly trained, etc. and here is why....."

In other words, if they are wrong, Prove it, but you won't win on the street. Even if the officer knows he/she is wrong , they will not admit it on the street. The only thing that can happen is.....you lose.

Camping Rig:

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Fulltimer since 2006

.irst the cop kills SD/

You can go find more.

I know about tribal law I was a Tribal-ranger for the Agua Calientes in Palm Springs. As for my respect for the law it's on it's way down. In the past several years police have kept me from my dog, challenged me and even cited me then upped the ante to criminal charges because they didn't like my attitude. Bullshit. What they did was trigger my PTSD. They paid no attention to the fact I am disabled, that Jin is a service dog and I have a legal right to be there with my service dog as posted in plain sight. They never do. I have been told by cops my dog is "no longer considered a service dog." I also carry copies of the ADA, state and local law on paper and in my Kindle. The cop who cited me in Glendale AZ refused to read it and now he has a complaint lodged against him as an individual. I was once asked by a cop in Fontana CA what the biggest problem service dog handlers have. It's the cops who don't know the law and pay no attention when they are told they are dealing with a disabled person.

So where does it stand with me and the City of Glendale. My attorney tried to make a deal. The city said no deal and wanted the maximum fine $2500 and jail unless I agreed to not use the splash pad with my service dog and not to access any Glendale park with my dog off lead, legal in Maricopa and protected by state law for a service dog. Jin's being off lead is necessary for my disability form time to time. The splash pad is signed as being ok for service dogs to access. So where does that leave me? I agreed to their ridiculous demands. I let city of Glendale, AZ take my First Amendment right to assemble in a public place from me. Pretty severe for just having my service dog off lead per the ADA.

In return I have filed a several of complaints against the city starting with the attorney generals office. Kirk, you ever look that up? I sent you the number? The charge against the city filed by the AG is for personal harm. A complaint is being filed with the ACLU and another has already been filed with the DoJ. No matter what you say or think civil rights and discrimination are taken seriously. The question is will the come to the mediation tables as I have asked the AGs office to do for me.

I am not alone in these problems. They are growing all the time. Videos fill Youtube of Vets and their SDs vs the cops. It's going to increase as more vets take to using SDs for mobility assistance and PTSD like I do. Recently a law was passed in AZ mandating that SDs and their handlers are not to be separated be EMS personnel. I know it includes ambulances. Not sure about police cars but I think it does. Your choice of videos. In at least one the vet was out of line but so was the airline.

I realize that the admins may take this as a political statement. It is not. It is legal in nature.

• 3 months later...

Ranger and Jin,

Why haven't you filed a complaint with the Dept of Justice??? and with the Sate of CA in accordance with CA Laws protecting service animals and their owners???

(See web sites in first post of this topic)

If found guilty, they may impose penalties and fines and will allow you to sue the individual police officers, the Police Department and everyone else involved in violation of your right under state and Federal Laws.

If I should ever caught up in a problem with LEOs or City/State Govt, I have supporting documentation from my VA Doctor and IRS.

Why haven't you filed a complaint with the Dept of Justice??? and with the Sate of CA in accordance with CA Laws protecting service animals and their owners???

:rolleyes: because I live in Arizona? Which BTW is one of 6(?) states with strong animal rights laws including AZ ARS 11.1024 which was updated recently and one of the laws broken by the city.

As for legal action I am going down the road laid out by the service dog legal advocacy group (don't know if I can say their name here). We offered mediation to the city. We also did not expect it to succeed. It was a step that had to be taken to strengthen my case. rior to ever going to court I filed complaints with the state attorney general's office. Faster than the DoJ and they hit harder too. The AG has filed a complaint on my behalf against the City of Glendale for personal harm and injury. The DoJ complaint is in the works and I'm looking for a civil rights attorney.

Meantime the city of Glendale is trying to adopt a really piss poor SD policy that tracks SDs in the city. The local SD community has spoken out against it. Jin and I have been banned from using the Glendale Parks system which are posted as allowable for service dogs. That is a violation of the ADA and more.

Archived