Class of 2011

Neo/Russ

Wonderful news that you are moving up when so many are considering moving down in these difficult times. I'm so busy at work that I haven't been able to finish the truck reconstruction which is now more a pacing item than the economy to us.

Enjoy it and save a campspace or two for the rest of us!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I am new on this forum and I guess we could call us members of the class of 2011! At least I hope we are! :)

We are now living in Quebec and you all know that our winther are very cold! We would like to get rid of that awfull part of our lives and I am sure we would not miss it one second.

We plan to go fulltime around july of 2011, but, it all depend on the sale of the house, I guess it could be longer... :( Sure hope not! In two years my husband will be 60 and I will be 52. We have a small dog, a cavalier king charles spaniel, her name is Roxy.

We love the US and we have traveled a lot in your contry. We think that you have one of the most beautifull land and I cant get enough of it! If I had the choice, I know I would live all year with you guys. But...we have to come back home for 6 months a year so we dont lose our health insurance. :o

We plan on living in a fifth wheel, we are still in the process of finding the perfect one for us. Its not easy!

For me, the process of getting rid of things is not a problem, I never had an attachment to the material, objects are always replacable. But I cant say the same about my husband...he still has some issues about it.

I think we are going to be fine financially, we have good retirement plans, and we will keep a just in case amount in the bank. (for plan B if it doesn't work) Since I have stoped working 3 years ago, I am the one making all the research on everything. But, doing all this work is very exiting because I just cant wait!!!

So that's about it

May all our dreams come true :o

Hello, I am new on this forum and I guess we could call us members of the class of 2011! At least I hope we are! :)

We are now living in Quebec and you all know that our winther are very cold! We would like to get rid of that awfull part of our lives and I am sure we would not miss it one second.

We plan to go fulltime around july of 2011, but, it all depend on the sale of the house, I guess it could be longer... :( Sure hope not! In two years my husband will be 60 and I will be 52. We have a small dog, a cavalier king charles spaniel, her name is Roxy.

We love the US and we have traveled a lot in your contry. We think that you have one of the most beautifull land and I cant get enough of it! If I had the choice, I know I would live all year with you guys. But...we have to come back home for 6 months a year so we dont lose our health insurance. :o

We plan on living in a fifth wheel, we are still in the process of finding the perfect one for us. Its not easy!

For me, the process of getting rid of things is not a problem, I never had an attachment to the material, objects are always replacable. But I cant say the same about my husband...he still has some issues about it.

I think we are going to be fine financially, we have good retirement plans, and we will keep a just in case amount in the bank. (for plan B if it doesn't work) Since I have stoped working 3 years ago, I am the one making all the research on everything. But, doing all this work is very exiting because I just cant wait!!!

So that's about it

May all our dreams come true :o

Welcome to our little group and believe me, many of us aren't sure that our expected retirement date can be filled.

My wife isn't 100% sure about full timing with no home base so we probably will not sell our house before we take the plunge. I'd toss or sell everything, fill the tanks on what cash we take in and see how far that would go, but I guess she adds some stability to our partnership. I have to admit that without her I probably wouldn't have started a 401k back in the 80's and we'd be full timing in a tent.

And just one dog???? Since Pat does agility dog shows we always have one competing, one in training and one retired - as a minimum.

Have a great weekend!

• 4 weeks later...
Jan. 2011 - that's the goal.

No equity in house (we owe $50K more than current sales) so we'll short-sell or just walk away. Plan on taking off in a used truck/trailer combo. Investment plan is on track. Dreading the purging of all the accumulations...

Glenn and Dixie

Welcome, too bad about the house, we're good with the house equity wise but nothing has sold in our sub division in the last year let's hope the economy picks up. Wouldn't leave it empty and can't rent it due to HOA restrictions. If we need to we'll do part time because my retirement will start 10-01-11 no matter what, I promised DW.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 3 weeks later...
I searched for this date and couldn't find it. If it doesn't exist then I'll start it. My retirement date target is 1/1/11 and Pat's is 3/15/11 and we have several of the pieces in place. We have the fiver. We have the comuter car - smart. And I have the T2 in a million pieces and work nights and weekends to have it roadworthy, painted and ready to run - IF the economy doesn't fall too far.

I will be retiring on July 4th, 2011 and my wife Debbie will be quitting her job at the same time. We will be putting the home and rental up for sale starting in Jan 2011. If they sell quickly, we may be full-timing it in our rig before my retirement date. You can read my profile for more information about us. We hope to meet many of you on the road and hope to get to know some of you through meetings in this bulletin board. Should someone start a Full-timer Class of 2011 newsletter or something similar, please add us to the list. :unsure:

Donald J. & Deborah Potts

2004 Newmar Essex 4503 Coach (45 ft / 4 slides / Cummins ISM 500 HP engine)

WorldMark 100,000 NHK credits, Vacation Internationale 319 points, Interval International

TT Platinum, Escapees, Good Sam, & Passport America Life Members

FMCA & Newmar Kountry Klub Members

D & D World Travel (our retirement website)

Coach name: THE WINDSWEPT PEARL

RV.jpg

• 3 months later...

Add us in for the class of 2011... even if I have to drag the hubby kicking and yelling (the man does not scream) all the way to the truck :lol: . We are Ed and Lessie of New Jersey. Plan is for hubby to retire in Aug 2011. Last child will be in her third year of college and the road is calling. House goes up on the market in April or May 2010 to give it a year and a half to sell. We have been attending the Hershey RV shows for several years. Reading everything I can get my hands on. (note I do the reading and then tell the hubby the gist of the subject). We know what we want in the fifth wheel, still looking for the right make of truck to pull it with. Waiting until we are ready to move out of NJ or the house sells first before buying either RV or truck. Currently working on the emptying of the house. What a job. We keep telling the kids they should be happy we are cleaning the house out as it will save them from doing it when we die.

Lessie

No Truck

No RV, except in our minds

Two Cats, Shadow and Mischief

and One Bossy Bird, Happy

Add us to the class of 2011. I will be retiring in January 2011, while my DH will be following me in March. We've already got the 2008 38' Newmar Cypress fifth wheel and the 2009 Dodge dually HD truck, so we're all set on that. Now all we have to do is start purging through all of this stuff that we've accumulated throughout the years, and then sell the house. That should probably take until the time that we plan to leave :lol: . Hopefully, we'll have everything sold and be ready to go by late summer of 2011, and then we'll be headed somewhere South - I'm not going to put up with another winter here in NW Pennsylvania! We actually had snow today - it's only October 16th!!! We can't wait!

Barneygirl... Nice to meet another 2011'r. I envy you having your 5'er and truck already. We are waiting until we are closer to leaving time before we purchase due to NJ taxes and such. Just hate handing over any more money than I have to. NW Pa.... Close to Cooperlake Campgrounds? Not been in that area during the winter, but camped at Cooperlake in Aug for a few years. Days were either nice and warm (a tad hot) or wet (very wet) and the nights were cold. Like you, I'm ready to move out of the tristate area.

Lessie

Greetings to all 2011 future full timers.We are Patty and Jerry.The plan as of now is the DW will retire in Aug. 2010 and I will be done in March 2011.We just sold our house and have moved to a townhouse.The plan was that we would retire and travel in the toyhauler fifth wheel that we got 3 years ago.But we just traded that rig in for a new 2007 gulfstream Frieendship class A motorhome. I'll be looking for a 28' enclosed trailer to tow and that will have the Harley's and jeep in it.This is the plan and hope to meet some of the 2011 class on the road. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Barneygirl... Nice to meet another 2011'r. I envy you having your 5'er and truck already. We are waiting until we are closer to leaving time before we purchase due to NJ taxes and such. Just hate handing over any more money than I have to. NW Pa.... Close to Cooperlake Campgrounds? Not been in that area during the winter, but camped at Cooperlake in Aug for a few years. Days were either nice and warm (a tad hot) or wet (very wet) and the nights were cold. Like you, I'm ready to move out of the tristate area.

Lessie

Hi Lessie,

If I'm correct, Cooperlake Campground is near Slippery Rock - halfway between here and Pittsburgh. We're right on Lake Erie. And you're right, it's either really nice in the summer time here, or cold and rainy - this year it was cold and rainy :rolleyes: . Wasn't even worth opening up the pool (I got the "I told you so" from my DH). And the winters........ I won't go in to that!!! Really looking forward to 2011 and heading South!

Barneygirl

January 3, 2011. That is the date we have set for the great escape. I have read most of the posts and see that we are not alone in our thoughts and ideas.

And like most of the others we got this greate idea somewhere around 2005-2006 when the housing prices where way up. And like most of you we are unhappy about how our house "value" has gone from almost double what we paid for it to about 75% of what we paid for it. And also like most of the posts we have read we are going anyway....

I get to retire 10/3/10, DW (being new I think this means darling wife) doesn't get to "retire" until sometime around 2018, but says if I am going she is going.

So we are slowly selling off stuff, not buying anything we can't take with us, and planning and plotting and waiting and worrying (about house market). My old 1995 1 ton finally wore out, so I recently purchased a 2005 Chevy K3500 dually with diesel/allison combo.

We had a 24 TT that we had fun with and have been shopping/looking/comparing/pricing and drooling over RV's for a couple of years.

We watched several manufacturers close down. And kinda hovered over the close out sales, but didn't see any great deals.

We were not in a hurry, still lots of time before we go. A couple of months ago we stopped by a local dealer that we had not visited. Saw the Cedar Creek 36RD5S, had everything we wanted. Then the dealer absolutely floored us, he told us that it was a 2008 leftover, it hadn't moved, floor plan was coming up (dealers finance plan), new models are coming, so if we would like he would sell us the CC for his cost, just to get it off the lot.

Yahoo!

Now waiting for the date is really painful, we have a brand new rig out in the drive just waiting to go, we have a tow vehicle (TV) that is adequate for the task. We have adequate income to survive. We have good health, 2 Chihuahua's (that like to go hiking) and one cat that hides a lot.

Tick tock, tick tock. Anybody know how to sell an under valued house?

Now waiting for the date is really painful, we have a brand new rig out in the drive just waiting to go, we have a tow vehicle (TV) that is adequate for the task. We have adequate income to survive. We have good health, 2 Chihuahua's (that like to go hiking) and one cat that hides a lot.

Tick tock, tick tock. Anybody know how to sell an under valued house?

Sell for what you can get for it and hit the road. You already have everything else you need. Life doesn't wait for perfection.

Linda Sand

class of '08

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We are Dave and Linda and waiting for the 2011 year also. We have the 2007 3400RL Montana Fifth wheel, the 2000 Ford one ton dually with the 7.3 ps diesel, with all the bells and whistles, with ony 70,000 miles on the truck, just broke in, lots of miles left on it.

Planning on a date of sometime around the end of summer 2011, defianately before winter hits here in Mi. No more winters, I've had it after what will be 44 yrs as a railroad conductor. I've seen my share of winters.

But as most of us, still have to get rid of the stick house, which goes up for sale in spring of 2010. Gives us a year to get it done. House sells quick, then I retire quicker. If it don't sell, then outta here anyway by 2011. Not waiting for the big cash, just want to move on and get into the fulll timing life. And of course all the posessions of a lifetime of being a packrat lol. This should be fun!!!

Looking forward to the travel, and good luck to all in your endeavors.

Dave & Linda

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

I'm with you, DaveM. I figure that we have to get through 2 more winters (and all of the sn*w that comes with it, here in NW Penna), and then after that, no more :rolleyes: . I'm just wondering what we're going to do with all of this stuff that we've accumulated over the years!

Hi All:

DH and I are now in the planning mode to become members of the Class of 2011. Now that we have 'set a year', we need to set an actual target date!

We currently have a 2007 Forest River Georgetown Class A with 3 slides that accomodates both of us comfortably along with two big loveable Labrador Retriever (mix) dogs, Roscoe and Murphy. They LOVE RVing as much as we do. The bedroom has double slides and opens up a floor area large enough to place two big dog beds at the foot of the master bed!

Eventually we want to upgrade to a Diesel Pusher, but since we currently live in NY, the land of taxes, we will be better off to go with what we have for a while and then decide what will best suit our needs for the long term.

I have started to read thru this thread a little bit, but wanted to jump in for a second and introduce myself. I am so excited that we have finally set a year, and soon an actual date. This has been a dream of ours for almost 10 years. Let the lists begin! :P

Pam

2006 HR Ambassador / 2012 Honda CR-V

Visit me at http://pam515.wix.com/odysseypics

I searched for this date and couldn't find it. If it doesn't exist then I'll start it. My retirement date target is 1/1/11 and Pat's is 3/15/11 and we have several of the pieces in place. We have the fiver. We have the comuter car - smart. And I have the T2 in a million pieces and work nights and weekends to have it roadworthy, painted and ready to run - IF the economy doesn't fall too far.

And today I learned that my trailer company folded..........that was a shock!

The wife and I are looking at May 2011. Steve and Sue We have the motor home, the toad, we just have to configure the toad to tow 4 down. We are anxious to get started I retire in 2011, the DW retires in 2014 but we are going to let her leave early. We have to sell the house and a car yet. We are hoping the housing market gets better.

Barneygirl we have decided what to do with a lot of our accumulated stuff. We are thinking of selling the stick house furnished. It may add to helping the sale of the house. Our house is a small house and would be ideal for the first time young buyers. Just may help me get to that fulltiming we all want. The rest of it, garage sale and kids and Goodwill. Just want to go!!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

I'm glad to read about so many more with '11 as a target. Personally having been raised in NY and spending a few years in NJ and WI I certainly understand the desire some of you expressed to head down this direction - I did over 20 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. I can say I will still be retired in '11 and if this darn HDT truck project is done then we'll be fulltiming that year. Might have to leave the house while it shows, but we can't wait to hit the road.

Keep the stories coming and if any of us can help just drop a note.

I'm glad to read about so many more with '11 as a target. Personally having been raised in NY and spending a few years in NJ and WI I certainly understand the desire some of you expressed to head down this direction - I did over 20 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. I can say I will still be retired in '11 and if this darn HDT truck project is done then we'll be fulltiming that year. Might have to leave the house while it shows, but we can't wait to hit the road.

Keep the stories coming and if any of us can help just drop a note.

Something we have in common Russ. Raced Late Models and Modifieds for 31 yrs all over the midwest, and now retired from driving and owning. Reside here in Mi. and loved the racing. Hopefully we will meet on the road somewhere, and share some stories because theres not a racer that don't have a million stories to share.

Now the 2007 Montana 3400RL 5th wheel is our passion and we are well on our way to this next adventure.

Dave & Linda

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

• 1 month later...

The ONLY way I am getting through this freezing weather in MO is by repeating "Next winter in warmer weather, next winter in warmer weather." We hope to be 'outta' here before the end of January 2011. We also plan on moving into the 5er as sonn as the house sells this year. So we are class of 2010/2011! But the real fun won't start until 2011.

Anyway, wanted to bring this thread back to the top and maybe find out what everyone in class of 2011 is doing to get through the cold weather and to get ready for our break outs!

Have fun tossing!

Karen

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

Karen

I will say that we are moving forward with our hopes and dreams. Right now in the process of updating and painting, and painting, and painting, (get the drift) getting ready for house to go on the market hopefully in March. In the meantime, getting rid of STUFF, and I am not liking it a bit. If it were me, it will all go to the goodwill, but I have another half that thinks differently lol. We have decided to sell the house fully furnished instead of worring about getting rid of it for next to nothing. Leaving all appliances, washer, dryers, stove, fridge, water softner etc. Living room furniture, Everything that anyone would want as far as these items. I'm hoping it may spark the 1st time young buyers that are just getting started and will help them out too. Right now thats my take, may be pointed in a different direction when I list the house and the professinonals say different. Who knows, been here 29 yrs, so selling is a whole new thing to me.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

Dave,

We've been down the painting road too. Every room in the house. Also replaced all the components of the stairway, stripped wall paper, painted all the interior doors and replaced all the baseboards. This past summer we replaced the patio and deck and had the exterior of the house painted by a professional. I'll tell you, this house has taken all the fun out of owing a sticks and bricks!

Now we are in the process of weeding out stuff to go to Goodwill and will have a big yard sale/auction as soon as the house sells. We will be listing as soon as the weather warms up. Cannot wait to get this weight off our backs!

I sure like your idea of selling furnished. I'm wondering if that could be an option for us. I will ask the realtor.

This sure will be a busy year for all 2010/2011ers.

Karen

2006 Arctic Fox 32.5 Silver Edition fiver

2001 Dodge 1 ton Dually with Mods

2005 Ranger Bass Boat;

Blog site is www.mytripjournal.com/ontheroadwithrickandkaren

• 3 weeks later...
Dave,

We've been down the painting road too. Every room in the house. Also replaced all the components of the stairway, stripped wall paper, painted all the interior doors and replaced all the baseboards. This past summer we replaced the patio and deck and had the exterior of the house painted by a professional. I'll tell you, this house has taken all the fun out of owing a sticks and bricks!

Now we are in the process of weeding out stuff to go to Goodwill and will have a big yard sale/auction as soon as the house sells. We will be listing as soon as the weather warms up. Cannot wait to get this weight off our backs!

I sure like your idea of selling furnished. I'm wondering if that could be an option for us. I will ask the realtor.

This sure will be a busy year for all 2010/2011ers.

Karen

Karen, when you talk to the realtor about selling furnished could you please let me know there answer to this? I'd like to get a professional answer to this. Just an idea that may make it sell.

Thanks

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

Semper Fi Marines!!

Archived