In need of brake repair Bessemer Alabama UPDATE for real this time.

Lance A Lott

My parent have a hot brake on there class c with a kodiak 5500 chase and they are in Bessemer Alabama which is 15 miles south of Bermingham headed to Brownsville TX. They are looking for any recommendation.  For some reson the first time I tried to update nothing changed but the title.

There back on the road, $2700 lighter. Aparently there is a recall for all 4 corners so when they get to TX they will pursue that.

Edited by Lance A Lott

As I understand this, they have a hot brake problem on their Class C built on a Kodiak c5500 chassis.  ??  Don't know the year but if it is over 5 years, I would be looking at the flexible brake line going to the errant wheel.  The outside looks good but the insides come apart.  The brake fluid goes to the caliper but can't go back as the failed hose forms a check-valve.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

That's the trouble all right. If they were home we would fix it our selves. Unfortunately they need a service center that can work on mdt or hdts, they found out that your average GM dealer can not work on the mdts so they will be taking it to a truck facility when they find one. I think its a 08 and only has 28k or so, that has resulted in many items that have gone bad due to sitting. Brake hoses and calipers are very subject to failer because of sitting. They went through a bad bought of algae this spring because of sitting. 

The flexible brake lines are fairly common.  NAPA has them.  The usual problem is getting the old one's fittings broken free.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

They found a shop to do the work, they will be getting the parts today. Not sure what exactly but dad is having the flex lines replaced anyways. Because of being broken down dad flew to Arizona to meat me to look at property in Show Low Arizona we both flew out Friday and met at the Phoenix airport. Drove to Show Low and back Saturday.I flew home Sunday and dad goes back to Alabama today. Mom is in a motel in Alabama.

I don't know the year of the chassis, however since the brake fluid must be  replentished anyway, I'd  go ahead and have the entire brake system flushed, since that is recommended every 2 or 3 years by the mfgr.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I am not sure of everything that is being replaced, but I know flex pipes, fluid and the bearing as well as differential fluid will all be new I am also assuming new caliper and pads. 

Dad was hit by a stolen truck fleing a crime on the way back from the airport this afternoon, he is fine and his Mazda Miata will need a fender, hood and bumper but is drivable after some work with a 5 foot bar so he didn't learn anything about the rv today. What a week for my parents.