VA Shreveport - Time to hear again

RV_

After all the press on long waits for appointments I called the local VA, Overton Brooks, yesterday and told the young lady that answered that I was 30% disabled paid, and have service connected on hearing. I told her I had not used them in years but did have their ID card. Well she looked me up in just a few seconds and asked me if Monday would be alright? Less than a week and I chose afternoon over morning. They're doing a full hearing test and she said they have up to date tiny hearing aids now too! I'll update this thread after my appointment. :)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

Do you ware hearing aids now?  If not the new ones are great.   If you are getting new ones which will have blue tooth tell them you would like the device that plugs into your TV  It's about 3x4 inches and plugs into a USB slot for power and the digital out spot on your TV.  It comes with a little remove that you can recharge.  It  blue tooths the sound right to your hearing aids.  You can mute the TV or turn the volume down so low that no one can hear it.  You than can control the volume in your ears with the remote.    I have the ReSound Unite TV Streamer 2 with Dolby Digital sound and it works great.    You can pair your hearing aids to your phone if you like.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

7 hours ago, DJW said:

I have the ReSound Unite TV Streamer 2 with Dolby Digital sound and it works great.    You can pair your hearing aids to your phone if you like.

Dennis

I might have to ask them about the TV streamer, did not know that existed!  I also have the Resound aids, so far love them.  I paired them up with my new iphone, love the way I can watch TV on my phone and hear through the aids.  I downloaded all my cds to my iphone, it's great to be able to listen to them and bother no one else.  Phone calls, I no longer strain to hear conversations.  These Resound aids are awesome, you'll love them RV.

If you don't have an iphone, you can connect to an android also, just ask for the little (repeater?), blue tooth unit that is small and clips onto your shirt.  It connects our phone's blutooth to aids.  Had that for a while, works great.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Wow! Thanks for the tips guys!

No I don't have hearing aids already as I was OK until I had a doc clean my ears with eater and a 50cc syringe and he caused an inner and outer ear infection with pus running out of my ear. That was my good ear. So it has gotten worse in the two years since that infection healed after two months.

I already have Bluetooth headphones I have been using for years hooked up to my Fire TV in the Living room large screen, or in the bedroom. They pair to the Fire TV or my phone but I have Bluetooth headsets that are in ear, waterproof, and stay on while working I use when mowing and working in the yard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYQKY8X/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a set of over ht ear headphones that connect to my Fire TV and then pairs with a second set of Bluetooth headphones so my wife can have her own volume controls independent of mine. https://www.mixcder.com/mixcder-shareme-5-foldable-wireless-headphones-p0026.html

I have a couple more BT headsets but those are the main ones I actually use.

So now I can use my hearing aids? Cool.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

26 minutes ago, RV_ said:

So now I can use my hearing aids? Cool.

Yea, the new ones with blue tooth ya can.  I have the blue tooth buds and head set, don't use them anymore, h/aids make it easier.   The manufacturer has made apps for your phone to control the levels/modes, pretty cool as hearing aids go.  Just watch your volume levels with them, it is pretty easy to get way too loud with them.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Got it, thanks!

Could you type a little louder?

myspace-graphic-funny033.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

If you get the ReSound TV Streamer make sure you tell them you want the remote as well otherwise you have to use the button on your hearing aid to sink it in which is a PIA.  I would turn off my hearing aid more times than not instead of pairing it up.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Howdy!

We  fulltime and I use to us Bluetooth head phones while driving as my lovely wife did not like it when I turned up the radio so I could hear it. So when I got  my new resound hearing aids from the VA and connected them with my iPhone or iPad to lessen to music or talk radio I was shocked when she asked me if I would turn them down because she could hear them. She has very good hearing.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Will do Dennis, thanks. I am looking forward to my new tech toy now! Leaving in an hour for my hearing test and new hearing aids. Will post results.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

OK!

My hearing aids with Bluetooth will be in in three weeks. I got the tiny behind the ear ones in a nice color. They disappear compared to the beige plug ins, or look like BT headsets! I will be trialing them and go in to add the features once we are sure which ones work best for me if these don't. What a pleasant experience! Great Doctor too, I was the last patient and we had an enjoyable chat about moving and Louisiana.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV

You will love the new hearing aids .  After you get them make sure when you clean them you get the little rubber dome seated correctly or it will end up at the bottom of your ear canal (don't ask me how I know) 

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis, thanks for the tips on the earpiece tips. Did you get the in ear or the new tiny behind the ear type?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Mine are the behind the ear kind.  They are Resound.  Mine are a light tan so they blend in with my skin really well.  They have this clear wire/tube that contours to the ear with the dome on the end that goes down the ear canal and you cannot even see it unless you are really looking for it.  One final tip.  These are so light that after a while you will not even know they are in your ear.  If you are out in the yard or wherever and decide to go take a shower don't forget to take them out.  I check my ears every time I am about to get in the shower even in the morning before I take my morning shower just to make sure I don't have them in.  When I get in bed at night 7 out of 10 times I have to get up again and go take them out because I forget they are still in my ears.  If you are wearing hearing protection like ear muff take them out because if you are like me you sweat a lot and with ear muff type of protection your hearing will get wet and they do not like being wet.  I had to have one of mine replaced because I would ware them when I had my hearing protection ear muffs on and over time it stop working.  You will enjoy the new style

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Great! Who wants a hearing amplifier with gunshots or loud noises like lawnmower with a blown out muffler? Damaging sound is conducted via the jawbone too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived