Microsoft resumes rollout of Windows 10 version 1809, promises quality changes

RV_

If you are on a budget data plan, or slow connections, this re-release of the October update last week took a long time to do on my machines. For those who want to do an ISO, the new version is there now with instructions here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Back to the update:

Excerpt:

" After a delay of more than five weeks, Microsoft has resumed the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. The company also promised sweeping changes in the way it approaches quality issues, including better communication with customers.

Microsoft has resumed the rollout of Windows 10 version 1809. The re-release of the so-called October 2018 Update comes more than five weeks after the company pulled the original installation files from its download servers and stopped its scheduled delivery through Windows Update just days after its initial debut on Oct. 2.

Must read: Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)

In a blog post, Microsoft's John Cable, the director of Program Management for Windows Servicing and Delivery, says the data-destroying bug that triggered that unprecedented decision, as well as other quality issues that emerged during the unscheduled hiatus, have been "thoroughly investigated and resolved."

Also: Windows 10 1809 ZIP bug now fixed: So will Microsoft rerelease October update?

This announcement also includes the re-release of Windows Server 2019, which was affected by the same issue. (That post by my ZDNet colleague Mary Jo Foley also includes a timeline of the quality issues that affected both the desktop and server editions of this Windows version.)

The first step in the re-release is to restore the installation files to its Windows 10 Download page so that "seekers" (the Microsoft term for advanced users who go out of their way to install a new Windows version) can use the ISO files to upgrade PCs running older Windows 10 versions.

Much more info with hot links here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-resumes-rollout-of-windows-10-version-1809-promises-quality-changes/

It seems to be stable. But the initial one messed up my picture folders and copied all my files to one drive which turned out to be OK. I've two systems to rebuild from scratch, one Surface Pro 4 going in for repair/replacement on warranty for known display issues. So I'll be downloading the files and making an ISO on a 16 GB USB thumb drive. using the iso builder from MS here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was fortunate in that I didn't have any problems with the original 1809 release, but I did receive the updates this week.  It looks as if the update was ~1GB.  One of the updates failed to install the first time, but installed properly on a subsequent attempt.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I never knew it before, but I now have learned that I am a "Seeker".  😊

I also never had a problem with 1809 but I only clean installed it on my test computer (with no personal data files).  I only hope Microsoft has decided to better test updates but with their new rapid release Windows As A Service model, I have my doubts.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I switched on Windows insider to get the fixes and then stopped the Windows insider the next day on Monday for all three. There were a bunch of updates it took, and all did well.

However I decided to do a full reset of my Windows 10 Pro computer and it has been stuck on 16% for 5 hours. I guess I'll build an iso from MS if it is the most current version. If not I have a Windows Pro software installation disk we used to try and save a dead machine for a cheap friend who insisted he would not buy a new computer so I did what he wanted and the hard drive failed. So I've a good installation disk for pro if the MS iso is the old build.

I agree Roger, I hope the quality goes in, before the name goes on. I have been using my new rebuilt and warranted HP desktop from Newegg with 12GB of RAM and an A10 quad core 3.1Ghz processor. It was on sale for $175 and the Acer 27" quad HD monitor dropped $100 to $179 a few months ago so it was less than $350.for a fast machine.

So I've got a main backup now to use again instead of my just my Voyo mini PC Atom 3035f?

I'm going to shut it down and just start from scratch tomorrow.

<sigh>

Happy thanksgiving!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived