Buying Advice Needed - Class A

Netplayn

My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a Class A Diesel Pusher and towing a vehicle behind.

This would be part to live in full time and also to run an online business from. Considering Montana LLC for the business and therefore have business own rig.

There's a nice Winnebago for sale somewhat close.  Looks fantastic! Wondering if anyone with knowledge would help us with ...
1) questions to ask seller
2) what should we be concerned about with this coach? Besides size and being easily maneuverable.
3) Is this a good deal?
    Found this other one online - further away.

Local-ish Winnebago

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2004-winnebago-ultimate/6702369553.html

Further away - similar - Less $$$

https://www.mhsrv.com/2004-winnebago-ultimate-advantage-40k-diesel-pusher-370hp-consignment-rv-used-diesel-pusher-tx-i2358245/images

Also found this Winnebago Vectra but it is a bit more than I want to spend ... any thoughts on it versus the Winnebago Ultimate??

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2005-winnebago-vectra/6669160112.html

Welcome to the Escapee forum! We will do all that we can to assist and advise you.  It would be helpful if we knew just a little more about you. Do you have any previous RV experience? 

On the surface, it would seem that both of those RVs are good deals, but surface appearance can be very deceiving. If you plan to do this yourself, you can get a copy of a pre-purchase inspection list from "Changin Gears. " I would never consider a purchase of either without using one of the professional RV inspection services and perhaps also a check by a diesel mechanic and an analysis of both oil and transmission fluid by a laboratory. A good oil analysis will tell you a great deal about the condition of the engine unless the oil was just replaced. If you check the 2004 on NADA you will find the price listing as  $67k to $81k, which seems like a good price, but who sells that far below market without some valid reason to do so? 

Anyone who gives you an opinion of the value of either of these RVs based only on the advertisement is just making a wild guess. A good photographer can easily make the pictures look better than the visual inspection would show. Winnebago does have a good reputation and these might be good deals, but no matter how good an RV may be when new, neglect and abuse can make one into a financial disaster in much less than the 14 years that these have been around. They are both worth checking out based on the advertisement, but it would be foolish to judge without much more information. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you so much for the response!

We are both 50 years old, decent health, get around well, and newbies.  We have no kids, but a 15 lb. Westie that would be with us.  No RV experience except staying in a large trailer or fifth wheel with family a few times throughout the years.

We are selling our house and planned to travel internationally. However, the idea came up that we could full-time RV and work remotely, albeit within USA.  I'm not "sold," to be honest with the RV'ing idea simply because we are new and I'm tired of maintenance of a house and feel like this is just a transfer of all of that - just now it'd be on wheels.  And although we are serious DIY-ers with houses. we are not mechanics and would be at mercy of mechanics for all things that go wrong.

I would be more on-board with a Class B or C as my main focus is an ability to get in and out of places easily.  I would probably never drive a Class A.

Also. I'm concerned about resale. It seems like everyone has a RV for sale but not many people have any money to buy one.

We've been looking at C's and A's for a few years as our final RV.

I've concluded that the one feature of the class A is it's ability to carry more weight in terms of supplies, clothing, etc.
Be advised to study the GVWR characteristics of the different RV types.

My research has shown that we would be severely limited when it comes to carrying all of our goodies.  Bottled liquids are especially heavy.  The class A's have more carry capacity than anything else.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

With a Class B or C you will not have cargo capacity.  Full-timers carry a little bit of everything they own.  You need a place to store it in the RV.  Especially for a new-to-RVing full-timer, I really think getting a B or C would be discouraging for you.  You'll think "my gosh, how do they do it"?  Truth is, some do it very well in a B or C but the majority have a bigger RV.  It would be different if you already had a larger RV and wanted to downsize to a B or C because then you would know your needs what you're capable of living in full-time.  Many women drive Class A's and there's no reason to think you can't.  There are RV driving schools if need be.  As far as going to Alaska in a Class A.  Most definitely, it is done often. We did it in our 40' motorhome.  There's no difference in traveling there than anywhere in the lower 48.  The distance is much greater; hence, a long trip.  Roads are paved for the most part. As with the lower 48 there is always road construction going on as their time is short to do it.  Just plan a lot of time for doing this trip. It's worth it!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, Netplayn said:

And although we are serious DIY-ers with houses. we are not mechanics and would be at mercy of mechanics for all things that go wrong.

If you do most of your own maintenance for a stick house you can learn to do most of it with an RV. There are even internet courses and videos to teach you or walk you through most of the more common repairs and all of the routine maintenance.

3 hours ago, Netplayn said:

I would be more on-board with a Class B or C as my main focus is an ability to get in and out of places easily.  I would probably never drive a Class A.

Previous comments about class  C and B rigs are correct that they have far more storage space and the weight capacity to carry your belongings. Most class C rigs have little storage and very low cargo weight capacity. You can get a class A today that is actually shorter than many of the class C's are and it will have far better visibility as well as better handling. 

3 hours ago, Netplayn said:

I would probably never drive a Class A.

I assume from this that you are the wife? What reason do you have for feeling this way if you would drive a class C? I have driven both and considered the class A the least stressful.  The only difficulty in learning to drive a class A is overcoming your own fears. Many women drive them including some who are single and travel alone. 

2 hours ago, Netplayn said:

I'd also like to spend a summer traveling to and within Alaska.  

Anyone with insight into doing this with a Class A?

There is no special need for such travel with a class A than any other RV. Literally, hundreds of RVs of every description travel that route each year.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks!

I appreciate the comments.  I am seriously looking at going to Escapees RV bootcamp in Nov.  I love the idea of having a RV driving course available, too, if we have our rig then.

I think we will definitely take advantage of the Escapees online RV University, too.

BTW, I ordered the oil test kit and will be looking at inspectors tonight.

I'm not really that concerned about cargo space to be honest.  I traveled a lot with my job previously and lived in suite hotels a lot and that's when I realized I can do without the big house and all the "stuff."   We also just came back to states from living 2 years in a very small studio apartment, essentially.  We've scaled down tremendously.

There is an outdoor & RV show next month in town, so we will probably go to that.

I kind of hate to pass up a good deal, though.  The first RV link that I posted, sounds wonderful and the price is in line with what I'm willing to spend.  

The largest Class A is about half the size of most studio apartments. Many Class C's are about half that again. We tried living in a Class B as a couple and failed so I cannot recommend you do that. I did solo, winter only, living in a Class B but I didn't have to haul nearly as much stuff since Dave and all our extra things stayed in Minnesota then.

When we had our Class A we took driving lessons that we think are well worth doing.

Winnebago is a good brand and your top listing looks good to me but, like Kirk said, you need to actually go see and evaluate if for yourself.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived