Hwy 114 from Gunnison to Saguache, CO?

folivier

I haven't driven it for many years but it was a good drive and you shouldn't any problem if you drove to Gunnison.. A couple corners to slow down. Not a bad pull.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers: "The summit of North Pass is about 30 miles west of Saguache. Hwy 114 is a little rough and not too wide. It is two lane.  From the summit the descent going east is fairly steep and curvy. The sign at the top of the pass says "6% next 3 miles."  There are 45 mph curves during the first mile of descent and then the speed limit goes to 55 mph with a 6% grade.  The grade flattens out about 5 1/2 miles down from the summit.

The westbound descent begins with a sign that says "7% grade next 2 miles." It is a two lane road with 35 and 45 mph curves.  About 2 miles down from the summit the grade eases to 5-6% for the next 2 1/2 miles and then changes to rolling hills."

That said, we wouldn't hesitate taking our 40' MH on this road... although that's one we didn't do.  Have a good trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I take my 36' motorhome & toad up & down Co 114 each summer, from my summer home near South Fork to the campground at Blue Mesa reservoir where I keep a sailboat.  114 is a bit windy in the canyon section where it follows a stream, but its very doable and good 2 lane roadway, just take the sharp bends slowly. there are some short steep (6%) sections, but nothing special by Colorado standards. Its a beautiful drive summer & fall. I make a point of doing it on my Harley every fall when the colors are out.

Jim

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers: "The summit of North Pass is about 30 miles west of Saguache. Hwy 114 is a little rough and not too wide. It is two lane.  From the summit the descent going east is fairly steep and curvy. The sign at the top of the pass says "6% next 3 miles."  There are 45 mph curves during the first mile of descent and then the speed limit goes to 55 mph with a 6% grade.  The grade flattens out about 5 1/2 miles down from the summit.

The westbound descent begins with a sign that says "7% grade next 2 miles." It is a two lane road with 35 and 45 mph curves.  About 2 miles down from the summit the grade eases to 5-6% for the next 2 1/2 miles and then changes to rolling hills."

That said, we wouldn't hesitate taking our 40' MH on this road... although that's one we didn't do.  Have a good trip!

While the speed limit is 55mph on a 6% down grade you really don't want to be going that fast.  Once the RV us at 55mph on a 6% grade you are going to be riding the brakes to keep your speed down to 55mph.  That can (or will) over heat your brakes and expose you to brake fade and you won't be able to slow down or stop.  Shift the transmission to a lower gear that will allow the engine or exhaust brake to keep your speed down to 40-45mph w/o using the brakes very much.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just returned from our trip to Lake City, Co in our 05 36’ Foretravel. I took that route to avoid Slumgullion Pass on Hwy 149. This was my first trip in mountains and I was a little nervous. After a few grades of practice and learning what gear and playing with the transmission retarder, I realized how easy it was to maintain speed without using the service brakes! 114 was much rougher than expected.. We ended up coming up Slumgullion Pass which was a breeze. Just maintained rpm’s around 2000, 2nd & 3rd gear and it cruised right up, didn’t even get hot. If your taking that route to avoid the bigger passes, I wouldn’t worry to much your Foretravel will handle it just fine.

2005 Foretravel U270

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

2016 Polaris RZR Turbo

Archived