Trouble shooting toy hauler gas tank fuel nozzle.

chief916

Anybody out there have experience in procedures for getting the gas nozzle to dispense fuel.  It always worked in the past when I would push the timer on the control panel and then turn it on to fuel up but now I can't get it to work.

Is there fuel in the tank? Mine shuts off when its empty. Other than that, checked the breakers? 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

Does the pump make noise when you turn it on.  If no, then its the fuse or breaker.  If it hums but doesn't pump then its the pump.  The pump impellers swell and wont let it turn.  I've had to loosen the screws on the plate it get it to pump.  This will also blow the fuse if left on for a few seconds and not turning.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 7/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, dennisvr said:

Does the pump make noise when you turn it on.  If no, then its the fuse or breaker.  If it hums but doesn't pump then its the pump.  The pump impellers swell and wont let it turn.  I've had to loosen the screws on the plate it get it to pump.  This will also blow the fuse if left on for a few seconds and not turning.

I will look at that as well.  Did you have to replace the pump as well?

Ben

Chief916  

I read somewhere pump makers may send you replacement impellers if the pump has seized.  Would be worth contacting the pump maker if you diagnose seizure of the pump as the issue.

Gasohol proof parts were being supplied for replacement. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, chief916 said:

I will look at that as well.  Did you have to replace the pump as well?

Ben

No I didn't replace the pump.  I just loosened the screws on the flat plate,(3 I believe) really loose and the pump didn't leak and started working after replacing the fuse.  I have read that some people would remove the impeller rub it on sand paper trying to reduce the size of the swollen impeller.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 7/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, noteven said:

Chief916  

I read somewhere pump makers may send you replacement impellers if the pump has seized.  Would be worth contacting the pump maker if you diagnose seizure of the pump as the issue.

Gasohol proof parts were being supplied for replacement. 

Thank you sir...I was unaware of this.  This is good to know.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:17 AM, dennisvr said:

No I didn't replace the pump.  I just loosened the screws on the flat plate,(3 I believe) really loose and the pump didn't leak and started working after replacing the fuse.  I have read that some people would remove the impeller rub it on sand paper trying to reduce the size of the swollen impeller.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.  The fuse never blew but I loosened the two bolts holding on the electric motor to the pump and flipped the on/off switch several times while squeezing the nozzle.  Everything works good now.  Thanks to all of you for your imputs for helping to troubleshoot this problem.

Ben

Glad to see its working for you.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

13 hours ago, chief916 said:

You hit the nail on the head with this one.  The fuse never blew but I loosened the two bolts holding on the electric motor to the pump and flipped the on/off switch several times while squeezing the nozzle.  Everything works good now.  Thanks to all of you for your imputs for helping to troubleshoot this problem.

Ben

From my experience that will likely be a short term fix.  eventually the plastic gear will swell to the point it jams and needs sanded down or replaced. it gets worse on hotter temps

Jim

Archived