Thoughts on this possible mini split upgrade

On 6/10/2018 at 8:10 PM, rpsinc said:

That area is not used for storage now, and so would be found room.  Plus, Newmar have 2 unique features in their design, 1- basement storage compartments like motorhomes just not as large with still having the traditional 5er storage, 2- dually axles using LT tires more readily available and with added stability.  It does make the frame rails closer together though, but that will be looked at when I get to the other project I have in store for it, a Big Foot leveling system.  I am a fabricator, so I will tackle that when it comes time.

FYI, Bigfoot installs the system for like $500, one day and done. They have it down pat.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

12 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

FYI, Bigfoot installs the system for like $500, one day and done. They have it down pat.

I am aware of that, BUT I am in So Cal, a long way from White Pigeon.  The price is good but the travel is prohibitive at this time.

Marcel

13 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Can the compressors lie flat? There is a ton of room up under the back of our Tetons.

and what about a folding platform for the compressor up underneath the back? Fold up for travel and fold down when in use when parked? Maybe I'm over complicating things? 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

That folding or hinged platform idea is reasonable with 1 exception:  what to do with the rigid connections and soft copper lines for the refrigerant?  Now, if flexible hoses could be substituted, then you have a plan.  But not sure what is available or recommended.  Likely something out there could be used.  You have be thinking.  I have a spare tire tray in the rear of my Newmar KA.  No tire is in it as previous owner put T-105s in there.  I have a new box built on slides that will relocate those to a compartment, so that area could be repurposed to the mini split.  It also has 8 old technology solar panels feeding a Magnum to those T-105s, which I intend to upgrade to a MPPT system with fewer panels to increase efficiency.  So with removing the roof mounted A/Cs, reducing the # of panels but increasing the capacity of the panels, I think that I should be able to really clean up that roof.  Will also be doing a high UV coating on the roof too, once cleaned off.  The Kingdome will be going too, as it is original 2004 technology.  Not sure what to put up there but likely a Trav'ler.

Humm, brain is really firing on all cylinders now.

Marcel

Archived