Allergy Shots

Hi, my husband an I are fairly new to full timing and have learned a lot from this site.  Hoping someone could offer some advise with what we are facing. I need to receive allergy shots but am having trouble finding a doctor that will allow me to self administer the shot.. I could have an epi-pen present and would do it in the parking lot of a hospital/ med center to cover the rare chance of a reaction.  Has anyone else dealt with this?? Can anyone suggest a doctor.  Thanks for any help.

Edited by fryefarm61

Our son was taught to give himself shots as a teenager! I'm amazed and wonder what sort of allergy you are dealing with? Our son eventually outgrew his allergy but I doubt you will have that option. I think that I would start with the internet to try and learn as much as possible about your allergy. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sounds like you might be talking about an epi shot for severe reactions.  What Im needing to do is allergy immunization shots that would be about once a week.  Thanks anyway.  Happy Travels

Am I posting this in the right section??  Or is there a better one.?  Im new to all this :)

Edited by fryefarm61

1 hour ago, fryefarm61 said:

What Im needing to do is allergy immunization shots that would be about once a week.  

As I remember the process:

First an allergist does skin testing to see what you react to and how strongly. Then each shot is calibrated specifically to your needs with reduced dosages as your immunity develops. I can't see this happening in a variety of locations. I'd stay put in one place long enough to do the series before traveling on. I think the series was six weeks but my memory is not so good so I could be wrong about any of this. Plus the need for an epi-pen was not even part of this program as none of the reactions were that severe. Sitting in the allergists waiting room for 20 minutes after each shot was required, though, to be sure there would be no severe reaction.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Fryefarm, I had the same issue. Had been doing allergy shots every 3 weeks for a decade. (I had tried going longer or stopping them several times over the years but no luck.)  When I told my allergist of my plans to travel and asked what to do about shots, he said "Well, you'll have to stop." Surprisingly once I did stop getting the shots I did not have a major reaction. So that might be the case for you, too. Try here - http://www.allergyasc.com/locations.html - a friend goes to this practice and I think he self-administers. 

BizCard.JPG

I can't imagine any md allowing you to self administer the shots. If anything went wrong he is the one the line. Law suits...here we come.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Andrea,thanks for the suggestion.  These are shots I would have to do for several years.  I,ve already been thru the series twice in my life and both time skin allergies came back within a year of stopping.  I would probably have to do them indefinitely.  My last Doctor was no help with my new lifestyle.. Come Monday I will try these guys.  If they are willing, I could spend a month there to get started before continuing south for the winter.

Thanks again

Sharon

On 4/6/2018 at 1:14 PM, fryefarm61 said:

Am I posting this in the right section??  Or is there a better one.?

Either this section or the general one. There are no hard rules about that other than for advertising as some subjects over lap areas. I would think that this was most appropriate where it is. 

Our son's shots that were self-administered were for grass allergies. He still has them but not as bad and he is nearly 50 now and retired from the Army. He weaned himself back at 17 in order to go into the Army as they won't take a person who needs them. It sounds like what you have is much more severe and probably more serious. 

Hope that you do find an answer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am learning new things about allergies every day here. I never knew you could require getting shots for years nor did I know anything about drops. It's always good to learn new things. I sure hope our nephew, who had the worst allergies in our family, is not having problems now that they have moved to Singapore.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 years later...

Interesting I wonder what is about the shots that they don't want you giving them yourself. My wife has RA and we have been self administering methotrexate shots for a few years. We have used both regular needles and injectors, like an epi pen. Maybe the drug is not available at a pharmacy in single dose shots?

hope you find a solution.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

FWIW. I gave my wife allergy shots for years, in the 70's and 80's. She finally stopped taking them, and controls her allergies with over-the-counter antihistamines. I do remember that the allergy solution was custom prepared for her by the doctor, based on her allergy testing, and not available from pharmacies. This would be a real problem for us of those  who full-time all over the country.

Edited by mrfrank

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

3 hours ago, mrfrank said:

I do remember that the allergy solution was custom prepared for her by the doctor, based on her allergy testing, and not available from pharmacies.

Plus, the dosage changes as you develop resistance to the allergens. Mike always had to sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes each time to be sure he didn't react negatively to that day's shot.

Linda

I've suffered from allergies all my life.  I found a doctor in Rapid City, Dr Gerti Janns, who tested and prescribed allergy shots.   When she learned that we were full time travelers, she scheduled a session with her nurse on how to give myself injections in my thigh, and also I had an epi pen.  I had serum for pollen, mold, and cat dander, and as I began to get close to running out, I'd fill out the paperwork, send them to her, and get refills overnighted.  Every doctor I saw said the same thing when I told them I gave myself injections...."YOU WHAT??"  With worries about liability it's a rare thing.  When I saw the allergist in our winter location, he was surprised, but pleased that I could do this, but also said that after five years the shots are no longer effective.  It had been longer than that, and about that time I learned that Dr. Gerti was retiring.  I was led to believe that I could still continue my shots with the new doctor, but decided not to do so.  Although she's retired, her listing is still on the web; The Allergy Clinic, 1828 W Kansas City St, Rapid City, SD, 57702, (605) 348-1350  Good luck to you, I understand you frustration.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com