Florida to Alaska

Zoco

O.K. I'm determined. :rolleyes:

What about flying to Washington state and taking the ferry through the Inside Passage to Alaska?  It only takes 3-4 days. You'd have bears to view along shore and whales around your boat and many other things.  The ferry goes through a narrow waterway so you're close to shore for almost the whole trip.  One stop is Ketchican and the totem poles are awesome.  You'd also stop in Juneau and a tour is waiting for you to take you to Mendenhall Glacier.  Get off in Alaska and rent a Class C RV and tour the state.  Do a ferry return or fly back to Washington.  Rent another RV in Washington and start touring on the way back home.  Cost wise it may even be cheaper than buying a RV and a tow car.  You wouldn't have to spend as much time in Alaska this way and you could have lots of time to travel leisurely back to Florida.

We did the ferry trip one summer and really enjoyed it. We boarded May 15 and had very nice weather. We had prearranged for a RV to be waiting for us in Skagway, Alaska. We then drove to Anchorage, turned it in and rented another for the remainder of our trip. The Skagway one was expensive because they had to drive it from Anchorage.  There are many rental places in Anchorage and they are a lot cheaper to rent.  We flew back to Washington.  The ferry is not like a big cruise ship. The ferry can fit in waters where the big ones can't so you stay close to shore except for one small part in open waters and that was done at night.  The ferry is very festive. We had a group of teens going to Alaska to work the summer. They pitched tents on deck and brought their guitars. We enjoyed sitting with them.  You also get a chance to talk to natives because for many it's their way to visit other places since there are no roads on this route. We enjoyed stories from a group of football players and their families who were traveling to another place to play a game.  Because of good tides we were able to take a little traveled passageway and the small village we passed by rarely see the ferry. Our captain took it extremely slow and the village folks of all ages ran down the hillside laughing and talking to us onboard.  It was an awesome experience!

Google Alaska with Children and many posts will appear. Here's one:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/alaska/travelling-with-children

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just did that trip backwards. I left AK in November, spent most of the winter in AZ. I was in FL a few days ago and am in SC now and heading to NY to visit friends and family, than back to AK. I should be home by the end of April.

For the most part I stay out of "most" of California. They have duel speed limits. If you are towing the speed limit is 55. Not a very safe deal. I do recommend the redwoods in northern CA and the Oregon coast.......great scenery.

I have lived in AK since '78 and have driven most every kind of vehicle you can imagine up the Alcan. My personal choice is what I am driving now.......a 4X4 pickup with a pickup camper. Might be a little crowed for your family BUT now days you can make it to Alaska in most any kind of vehicle, especially in the summer. Call me weird, but I LOVE driving it in the winter with no one around. Expect 50 or so miles of dirt in construction zones.......other than that it will be paved.

While it can snow just about any month, the May 15 time line should be ok. We rode motorcycles from NY to AK and left Dawson Creek May 5th.......ran into 3 snow storms on the way home. Not a fun time on bikes.

The best time (most years) to be in AK is from mid May to mid June. After that it can get wet.

The milepost is a good resource. However it doesn't give you updated information. If its a dry summer you can run into forest fires or if it is wet you can run into mud slides, both can shut the highway down. Never drive below a half tank of fuel.

People have a tendency to "over think" the Alaska trip. It's just a regular 2 lane paved road. Take your time and enjoy the trip.

Here are some links that will help you in Canada and Alaska.

https://www.weather.gov/arh/

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=YT

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=BC

http://www.drivebc.ca/#mapView&ll=54.004539%2C-123.75&z=6&xtg=Map Badge

http://www.511yukon.ca/en/

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent/index

18 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

What about flying to Washington state and taking the ferry through the Inside Passage to Alaska? 

Now that is the best suggestion for doing both AK and most of the lower states that I have seen yet! It would also avoid the hours and hours of forest travel that your children are very likely to learn to hate. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank everybody for all suggestions, I'm making the new route right now.  I talked with my wife about go or not go to AK, and we decided to don't go at this time. I did the route yesterday, to show you, but the Google maps there are a limited number of places to add on a route, and I lost all my work. Now I am dividing into parts. As soon I finish, I will post here and hope you can help again indicating my mistakes. I know an RV travel never will be exactly as we wish, but we can try to avoid the trip traps.

Thank You Very Much.

15 hours ago, Wheeldog said:

Just did that trip backwards. I left AK in November, spent most of the winter in AZ. I was in FL a few days ago and am in SC now and heading to NY to visit friends and family, than back to AK. I should be home by the end of April.

For the most part I stay out of "most" of California. They have duel speed limits. If you are towing the speed limit is 55. Not a very safe deal. I do recommend the redwoods in northern CA and the Oregon coast.......great scenery.

I didn't know about the dual Speed limit, are there other places with this law?

Thank You

22 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

O.K. I'm determined. :rolleyes:

What about flying to Washington state and taking the ferry through the Inside Passage to Alaska?  It only takes 3-4 days. You'd have bears to view along shore and whales around your boat and many other things.  The ferry goes through a narrow waterway so you're close to shore for almost the whole trip.  One stop is Ketchican and the totem poles are awesome.  You'd also stop in Juneau and a tour is waiting for you to take you to Mendenhall Glacier.  Get off in Alaska and rent a Class C RV and tour the state.  Do a ferry return or fly back to Washington.  Rent another RV in Washington and start touring on the way back home.  Cost wise it may even be cheaper than buying a RV and a tow car.  You wouldn't have to spend as much time in Alaska this way and you could have lots of time to travel leisurely back to Florida.

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Now that is the best suggestion for doing both AK and most of the lower states that I have seen yet! It would also avoid the hours and hours of forest travel that your children are very likely to learn to hate. 

You Are Right about it !!!! excellent suggestion. After the loop trip in lower states, I will do it. 

Thank you 

Ok, I have used all knowledge that you shared with me to make this route, please feel free to give opinions and point any mistakes, and if possible suggest more places to complete the loop to Orlando.

I don't know how public here correctly, I divided in three parts, because the Google maps don't support all places in the same route.  If someone have a problem to access them, please let me know.

Thank You

Part 1 https://goo.gl/maps/Mvwizj97Tbr

Part 2 https://goo.gl/maps/oPuk3SqUbGL2

Part 3 https://goo.gl/maps/tcYt9Ji6qy82

You certainly covered it all. Good work!  The only things I would consider would be once you get to the Grand Canyon in Arizona and if you still have the energy :) perhaps take in a couple of the southern Utah national parks even if they're just a drive-through or one night. It's better to have seen them for a short time rather than not seeing them at all. You'd be in that area probably toward the end of summer or early Fall which would be good timing.  I hope you have a very enjoyable and safe trip!!

Full-timed for 16 Years

Zoco,

Are you planning this trip for this summer, 2018 or 2019?  It is getting a little late in the year for this summer for a trip like this, since you will be wanting to visit very popular sites.  Most if not all the National Park campgrounds are booked up by now for this summer.   You should be able to fine RV Parks near the NP's but it is so much more fun to be able to stay in the campgrounds inside the park. 

For places to stay in your RV I suggest you use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ to find places to stay.  When you read the reviews, read back through a number of the reviews.  Don't just read the 3 or 4 most recent reviews.  You will find that some of the very negative reviews and the positive reviews either don't pertain to what you need or are just biased for or against the specific issue they have. 

About staying in the campgrounds inside the NP's.  Staying inside the parks makes it so much easier to attend the ranger lead programs.  Programs like ranger lead hikes, daily talks at different places in the park and the evening programs.  Most of the parks also have "Junior Ranger" programs.  These are activities specific to the interests of 6 to 12 year old's.  Additionally camping inside the parks is more scenic and the campsites are usually larger with more room for your kids to play. 

If you don't have experience camping without hooking up to elect, water and sewer, you will want to practice being able to live with the self contained fresh water, black and gray water tanks, and conserving your electric use so you don't drain the batteries in the RV.    A lot of the reason for this is, many of the RV Parks don't have a lot of room for the RV.  Your are crammed in very close to the RV next to you.  That doesn't leave much space for the kids to play.  Also most of the campgrounds inside the NP's don't have water and elect hookups.  They usually do have a dump station and a place to fill your fresh water tank though.  Also look at staying in the State Parks as you travel, also our national forests have lots of nice campgrounds as well. 

About reservations.  Research the reservation websites for the places you want to visit and find out the first date in the year that you can make reservations for the upcoming camping season.  For example, for the 2019 camping season, the reservation system opens on May 1, 2018.  That is just a little over 3 weeks from today. 

About making reservations.  You do want to make reservations for the very busy and popular places you want to stay at.  However try to not make reservations for every place you plan on going.  You want to remain as flexible as possible in your schedule.  You will find that when you arrive at your next location you will either find more things to see and do than you planned, or you will find that what you planned to do is not as interesting as you thought and you will want to move on sooner.  Also weather will cause you to just stay in your campsite for a day or three instead of going to you planned activity. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

If you have the ability to divide this trip into 2 years instead of one year, I would suggest you do that.  Store the RV and car for the winter and return for your second year. 

The last part of your trip, Yosemite to Hot Springs is best done in the late fall, or even into the winter.  Yosemite in late August or September.  Death Valley and Big Bend are best in November or later.  Actually January & February are the best months for both places.  However Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Sequoia are not winter places. 

Additionally, as 2gypsies suggested, the NP's in Utah are great places to visit.  Look at Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches NP's are fantastic. 

Your maps have you going from Washington DC to Maine by driving through New York City.  If you are going to stop in NYC, that is fine.  However if you are not going to visit NYC, then from Washington DC head west to I-81 then north to I-84 and then over to I-95 to Maine.

If you do plan on visiting NYC, take a look at this RV Park just across the river in New Jersey.  From the RV Park it is a short walk to the train/subway and in about 15 minutes you are in downtown NYC.  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/new-jersey/jersey-city/liberty-harbor-rv-park-1827   The RV Park is just a concrete parking lot, but it is so easy to get into the city, it is the most convenient place to stay while you visit the city. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

One thing that I noticed on the first page is that you have a Ford Museum listed but it isn't the one that I was thinking of and I don't know what it is. I suggest the check out the Henry Ford Museum complex in Detroit, MI.

On page two,  after you leave Mt. Rushmore, alter your route to pass through the Sundance, WY area and take the time to visit Devil's Tower National Monument

When you get  to the Seattle area, be aware that the ferries from Edmond or other points are subject to a very wide tide change and so you need to plan to travel near high tide as it can be very difficult to get an RV on and off of the ferry at low tide due to the steepness of the ramps. There is a danger of hanging up on the undercarriage as you enter. As you cross the Olympic Peninsula if time allows stop in Port Angeles and take the walk-on ferry to visit Victoria, BC as it is a wonderfully unique city.

After you leave the Olympic NP, do not return to I-5 but instead just continue to travel south on US-101 route all of the way down into Oregon.  It will take longer but you will see some of the most scenic coastal areas in the US. In the area of Crescent City, CA are some of the largest trees in the entire world located in both state & national park property. 

I agree with pretty much all of the comments of Al as well.

When you're ready for details I'd recommend this web site for searching some of the major areas.  She gives very detailed reports on campgrounds and boondocking (top line is a campground review 'clicky' arranged by state) and on the far right is a place to search for descripions and 'how to do' 'what to do' in the areas.  For instance, here are her write-ups for New York City and Liberty Harbor RV Park as being the best place to stay.  She's also done a recent write-up on Niagara Falls - U.S. side and Canadian side with awesome photos. She also gives many links to related articles.  This is going to be a full-time job for you to fine-tune this trip!

https://wheelingit.us/?s=new+york+city

https://wheelingit.us/?s=niagara+falls

Full-timed for 16 Years

On 4/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, Zoco said:

I didn't know about the dual Speed limit, are there other places with this law?

A good place to go for this type of information is the app State Lines. It list lots of things that change when you drive from one state to another.

When I was a kid in Illinois I saw this sign so many times I memorized it: "Cars towing trailers restricted to truck speeds," so, yeah, there were different limits for different vehicles.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

A good place to go for this type of information is the app State Lines. It list lots of things that change when you drive from one state to another.

As you cross the border from one state to the next, there is always a sign that lists that state's speed limits and restrictions.  Heere is an example.

3833db9191f8a563b094e991e1b9ebba.jpg

On 08/04/2018 at 2:13 AM, 2gypsies said:

You certainly covered it all. Good work!  The only things I would consider would be once you get to the Grand Canyon in Arizona and if you still have the energy :) perhaps take in a couple of the southern Utah national parks even if they're just a drive-through or one night. It's better to have seen them for a short time rather than not seeing them at all. You'd be in that area probably toward the end of summer or early Fall which would be good timing.  I hope you have a very enjoyable and safe trip!!

Almost all places I have inserted in my route was indicated this forum mates, who one really made a good job.

Could you suggest me some Utah National Parks?

Thank You

On 08/04/2018 at 8:28 AM, Al F said:

Zoco,

Are you planning this trip for this summer, 2018 or 2019?  It is getting a little late in the year for this summer for a trip like this, since you will be wanting to visit very popular sites.  Most if not all the National Park campgrounds are booked up by now for this summer.   You should be able to fine RV Parks near the NP's but it is so much more fun to be able to stay in the campgrounds inside the park. 

I will try in this summer, in two weeks I will go to Florida to take care of prepare the RV.

For places to stay in your RV I suggest you use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ to find places to stay.  When you read the reviews, read back through a number of the reviews.  Don't just read the 3 or 4 most recent reviews.  You will find that some of the very negative reviews and the positive reviews either don't pertain to what you need or are just biased for or against the specific issue they have. 

Certainly,  I will get information on this Web Site, thank you.

About staying in the campgrounds inside the NP's.  Staying inside the parks makes it so much easier to attend the ranger lead programs.  Programs like ranger lead hikes, daily talks at different places in the park and the evening programs.  Most of the parks also have "Junior Ranger" programs.  These are activities specific to the interests of 6 to 12 year old's.  Additionally camping inside the parks is more scenic and the campsites are usually larger with more room for your kids to play. 

If you don't have experience camping without hooking up to elect, water and sewer, you will want to practice being able to live with the self contained fresh water, black and gray water tanks, and conserving your electric use so you don't drain the batteries in the RV.    A lot of the reason for this is, many of the RV Parks don't have a lot of room for the RV.  Your are crammed in very close to the RV next to you.  That doesn't leave much space for the kids to play.  Also most of the campgrounds inside the NP's don't have water and elect hookups.  They usually do have a dump station and a place to fill your fresh water tank though.  Also look at staying in the State Parks as you travel, also our national forests have lots of nice campgrounds as well. 

Sure, I prefer staying inside the parks, I don't have problem without hooking up, I lived on a Sail Boat for 2 years. I believe I will stay on both.

About reservations.  Research the reservation websites for the places you want to visit and find out the first date in the year that you can make reservations for the upcoming camping season.  For example, for the 2019 camping season, the reservation system opens on May 1, 2018.  That is just a little over 3 weeks from today. 

About making reservations.  You do want to make reservations for the very busy and popular places you want to stay at.  However try to not make reservations for every place you plan on going.  You want to remain as flexible as possible in your schedule.  You will find that when you arrive at your next location you will either find more things to see and do than you planned, or you will find that what you planned to do is not as interesting as you thought and you will want to move on sooner.  Also weather will cause you to just stay in your campsite for a day or three instead of going to you planned activity. 

I'm with you, about not made reservation for every place, as this is my first crossing US trip, I don't know what I will find, and where I should make a reservation. 

To visit parks are necessary to do a reservation? 

Thank You.

On 08/04/2018 at 8:49 AM, Al F said:

If you have the ability to divide this trip into 2 years instead of one year, I would suggest you do that.  Store the RV and car for the winter and return for your second year. 

The problem for me is about my Kids, they will stop to study for 3 months, I can't do it twice.

The last part of your trip, Yosemite to Hot Springs is best done in the late fall, or even into the winter.  Yosemite in late August or September.  Death Valley and Big Bend are best in November or later.  Actually January & February are the best months for both places.  However Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Sequoia are not winter places. 

Additionally, as 2gypsies suggested, the NP's in Utah are great places to visit.  Look at Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches NP's are fantastic. 

Opps, sorry I didn't read it before, I will add these parks to my route.

Your maps have you going from Washington DC to Maine by driving through New York City.  If you are going to stop in NYC, that is fine.  However if you are not going to visit NYC, then from Washington DC head west to I-81 then north to I-84 and then over to I-95 to Maine.

If you do plan on visiting NYC, take a look at this RV Park just across the river in New Jersey.  From the RV Park it is a short walk to the train/subway and in about 15 minutes you are in downtown NYC.  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/new-jersey/jersey-city/liberty-harbor-rv-park-1827   The RV Park is just a concrete parking lot, but it is so easy to get into the city, it is the most convenient place to stay while you visit the city. 

On 08/04/2018 at 9:24 AM, Kirk Wood said:

One thing that I noticed on the first page is that you have a Ford Museum listed but it isn't the one that I was thinking of and I don't know what it is. I suggest the check out the Henry Ford Museum complex in Detroit, MI.

I will correct it. thank you

On page two,  after you leave Mt. Rushmore, alter your route to pass through the Sundance, WY area and take the time to visit Devil's Tower National Monument

This is on my route, but how I said, I couldn't insert all places on Google Maps. Thank for reminding me.

When you get  to the Seattle area, be aware that the ferries from Edmond or other points are subject to a very wide tide change and so you need to plan to travel near high tide as it can be very difficult to get an RV on and off of the ferry at low tide due to the steepness of the ramps. There is a danger of hanging up on the undercarriage as you enter. As you cross the Olympic Peninsula if time allows stop in Port Angeles and take the walk-on ferry to visit Victoria, BC as it is a wonderfully unique city.

After you leave the Olympic NP, do not return to I-5 but instead just continue to travel south on US-101 route all of the way down into Oregon.  It will take longer but you will see some of the most scenic coastal areas in the US. In the area of Crescent City, CA are some of the largest trees in the entire world located in both state & national park property. 

I agree with pretty much all of the comments of Al as well.

We Love beaches, I made a route as you told me, https://goo.gl/maps/66GAUDjFNRH2

something like this?

Thank you

On 08/04/2018 at 12:46 PM, 2gypsies said:

When you're ready for details I'd recommend this web site for searching some of the major areas.  She gives very detailed reports on campgrounds and boondocking (top line is a campground review 'clicky' arranged by state) and on the far right is a place to search for descripions and 'how to do' 'what to do' in the areas.  For instance, here are her write-ups for New York City and Liberty Harbor RV Park as being the best place to stay.  She's also done a recent write-up on Niagara Falls - U.S. side and Canadian side with awesome photos. She also gives many links to related articles.  This is going to be a full-time job for you to fine-tune this trip!

https://wheelingit.us/?s=new+york+city

https://wheelingit.us/?s=niagara+falls

Amazing site.

than you

On 08/04/2018 at 7:22 PM, sandsys said:

When I was a kid in Illinois I saw this sign so many times I memorized it: "Cars towing trailers restricted to truck speeds," so, yeah, there were different limits for different vehicles.

Linda Sand

I will download the app.

Thank you

On 08/04/2018 at 10:27 PM, Kirk Wood said:

As you cross the border from one state to the next, there is always a sign that lists that state's speed limits and restrictions.  Heere is an example.

3833db9191f8a563b094e991e1b9ebba.jpg

I never paid attention to this sign, maybe because I only drove in Florida.

Thank you for showing me.

When Al, said above about to do make reservations in advance, I was really concerned about it, I don't have experience about the RV parks or national parks campgrounds. Inside the national parks, I need to have a reservation to camp? Are the parks crowded all time? 

Thank You.

On your 'beach' route taking 101 is an awesome drive in Oregon.  However, for Olympic Nat'l Park in Washington you have yourself going on a little-used road on the back side of the park.  Instead, stay on 101 around the whole Olympic Peninsula.  Around Forks, Washington is the rain forest part of Olympic Nat'l Park which is fun to walk the trails.  Port Townsend is a fun little town on the water and is an easy drive to one of the main parts of Olympic Nat'l Park - up to Hurricane Ridge.  Doing both of those completely different areas will give you a good tour of Olympic Nat'l Park.  Fort Worden State Park in Port Townsend is a very nice park to stay.  Salt Creek Recreation Area west of Port Angeles is another nice place to stay for that area.

I think you'll find that you can't possibly see everything along your route. There are just too many great places.  I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it! :) 

Full-timed for 16 Years

I just saw your newest post about reservations or not in the national parks.  They are very busy places and some of the park campgrounds accept reservations and some do not.  We've always had good luck staying just outside the park the previous night and driving in early morning to the campground - between 8-11am  and earliest is best.  Since you're on a schedule this may not work for you.  Each national park has an excellent web site with things to do, road information, weather, campgrounds, etc.  Check them out.

For instance, here is Yellowstone's web site and you will see there are 5 campgrounds that accept reservations and 7 campgrounds that don't accept reservations.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years

Archived