Changing Your Own Sparkplugs

daveward

I need to change my sparkplugs  and wires on my F53 chassis gas engined Newmar.  To do so it appears that to access them the front wheels need to be off and I need to crawl into the wheelwells to get at the plugs.  They cannot even be seen from above under the doghouse.  I don't have a sufficiently large floor jack to lift the front end, but I am a do-it-yourselfer from way back, so I'm looking for  some creative and safe ways to get my front end off the ground the the tires off.  I do have some beefy jackstands once the frontend is lifted.  I thought I read somewhere about using the leveling jacks for this.  Yes?  Any suggestions?

You could probably do it with your leveling jacks by putting blocks under them but to do so will require you to raise it very high as compared to what you would need using a jack under the axle if you are putting jack-stands under the axle. Your leveling jacks raise the frame but the suspension has to be completely unloaded before the tires lift. 

Also keep in mind that the torque when installing plugs in the engine is critical. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Use your leveling jacks to lift as far as possible then buy a cheap 1 or 2 ton hyd or even screw jack to lift front axle up and put jack stands under the axle. Because you are only lifting the axle and wheel weight, you can get by with a small one.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

You don't necessarily need to remove the wheels, if you're not very large you can turn the wheels all the way left and right, then get into a sitting position between the wheel and the frame using the wheel as a backrest.

Do two plugs at a time, turn the wheels all the way left and do the pairs on the front left and the right rear.  Then turn the front wheels all the way right and repeat the process on the remaining plugs.

Use a piece of cardboard as a seat back to smooth out the rough edges and keep the greasy bits off of your shirt.

Between using extensions and or swivel adapters you might be able to reach them.  But every make and model can be different.  I would find a forum for you specific manufacture and model as they would know the vehicle the best.  You could also try to YouTube it.  There are some makes and models of cars and trucks that you need to move heaven and Earth to reach some of the plugs.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived