What's this sealant?

bobk3d

Is it a spray foam or perhaps an RTV product? That looks rather rubber-like and I suspect that it is not from the factory but was added by a previous owner. 

RTV Silicone (Room-Temperature-Vulcanizing silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium--usually from 15 Shore A to 40 Shore. RTV silicones can be cured with a catalyst consisting of either platinum or a tincompound such as dibutyltin dilaurate.[1] Applications include low-temperature overmolding, making molds for reproducing, and lens applications for some optically clear grades.[2]

If it is RTV then I would just dig out enough to make an opening for the wire, or just punch a hole through it.  Same thing if a spray foam. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

It does seem to be a foam of some sort. Fleetwood used it all over the place. Lowe's has this locally, and about 20 similar products. I'll go take a look and see if it looks appropriate. The picture was inside the cargo bay, so it's probably for keeping out pests and cold air more than waterproofing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-GREAT-STUFF-Gaps-and-Cracks-12-oz-Spray-Foam-Insulation/3012216

I think Great Stuff is intended for inside applications, out of the weather, as it will crumble and break down after a while if exposed outside.  The landscaping foam is intended for exposure to the elements, which is probably why that picture shows the dark gray or black foam.

8 hours ago, 57becky said:

I think Great Stuff is intended for inside applications, out of the weather, as it will crumble and break down after a while if exposed outside.  The landscaping foam is intended for exposure to the elements, which is probably why that picture shows the dark gray or black foam.

Thanks. Since this isn't exposed to the weather it probably doesn't matter. But they did sell it in several flavors. I chose regular because it said it was flexible, none of the others did. Easy enough to replace it if necessary, it's the only part of this project that doesn't require contortions.

It's amazing how complex these little projects can become; routing the wire from the meter to the battery four feet away is going to take about 15 feet and require a fish tape. The supplied cable is much longer, so I assume length is not an issue.

Archived