Our Custom Class B!

Born2Explore

There are A LOT of real nice big name Class B RV’s out there, and for a while, we thought we wanted a nice new one. After shopping around and visiting a few RV dealers, we decided we wanted to try to avoid going into debt to get one. 

After a few months of searching, we found the perfect lightly used RV for us! We had to drive 8 hours away to get it, but we paid cash, and couldn’t be happier!!

In March we will be begin living/traveling out of it full time!

We are still working on making some modifications to set it up exactly the way we want it, and we can’t wait to get out there full time!

We just posted a tour of our rig (before most of the major modifications), so check it out if you’re interested! 

Class B - 2004 Extended GMC Savana G3500 w/ Hi-top

One of the modification that we still need to figure out, is how to design and build, or just buy something to block off the front cab area to make it almost like a kennel for our dog when we are sleeping. And to keep him from sliding/walking around the back when we are driving.

Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, Born2Explore said:

One of the modification that we still need to figure out, is how to design and build, or just buy something to block off the front cab area to make it almost like a kennel for our dog when we are sleeping. And to keep him from sliding/walking around the back when we are driving.

Any suggestions?

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Partition-Bulkhead-Divider-Express-1996-2017/dp/B00CIHX618

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

16 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

You know, those are awesome, and I actually thought at one point that I would want a full partition. But after having everything wide open, we would like to keep it that way if we can! We also want to make the passenger seat a swivel chair. And I don’t think the bulkhead would allow for that.

So I guess what I am thinking is something that can be in place when we are driving or sleeping, but then be removed when we are awake and moving around in there. 

There is a small gap behind the driver seat between the seat and the start of the counter. I am thinking something that can store there (or fold up there) when not in use. 

Thought about one of those accordion style gates, but they don’t fold up small enough, and don’t seem sturdy enough. (We have a 50lb pitbull)

How tall is that space behind the drivers seat? Could you build a fence that fits horizontally while driving then stands vertically while parked? Which implies turning the passenger seat morning and evening since you want to keep the dog up front at night. I'm not sure how your dog is about jumping fences.

Maybe you need to build a bulkhead type wall out of something see through. But then you couldn't swivel the passenger seat.

Hmmm. You have quite the challenge there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 11/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, Born2Explore said:

Any suggestions?

$28 bucks at Petco!

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/portablepet-pet-partition?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o5&scid=scplp1568590&sc_intid=1568590&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop-_-Non+VIP-_-92700026610541044&kwid=p26610541044&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_5_QBRC9ARIsADVww167-LYR6B7j8DXqp-Fhxym7XXtJ06WzCu7fs7nxjvIjpaGTA9bzLE8aAqSbEALw_wcB

Just finished up the support for the folding table and the stabilizer for the bed when it is up. Everything is super solid now! I used 3/4" square dowels and bathroom stall "U" brackets.

Table Support (when in use)

IMG_8752.JPG.93700f754230c642f96b3ac205aa94be.JPG

Table Support (when NOT in use; velcroed and stored under bed)

IMG_8755.JPG.3b235a2190a42143596d3bebcadc56a0.JPG

Bed Stabilizer

IMG_8753.JPG.291bfd4c3e046e81f0ca68fd693f1684.JPG

Really going to try to focus on designing/building the dog gate now! We are going camping with the dog the weekend after Thanksgiving, so need to have it done by then!

So I have been brainstorming about the dog gate, and I found these on the web... Do they make dog gates you can buy that are already like this?

It seems that these would take up very little space when stored completely vertical, but still be strong when down.

Thoughts?

5a0d9320368f2_VerticalLiftGate_01.jpg.749807f56000a6aa06ac02883dc873d5.jpg

5a0d9325099ee_VerticalLiftGate_02.jpg.581f23aa99e8172182edd675218517b4.jpg

I don't remember you saying how big your dog is; but in our B+, we carry two folding dog crates for our two 25# Cocker Spaniels.  Like this one only smaller  https://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Folding-Suitcase-Kennel-Playpen/dp/B01FUCER9C/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510860065&sr=1-5&keywords=folding+dog+crate&dpID=51V7TKBg7eL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

2 hours ago, Jeff & Suzanne said:

I don't remember you saying how big your dog is; but in our B+, we carry two folding dog crates for our two 25# Cocker Spaniels.  Like this one only smaller  https://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Folding-Suitcase-Kennel-Playpen/dp/B01FUCER9C/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510860065&sr=1-5&keywords=folding+dog+crate&dpID=51V7TKBg7eL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thank you so much for the input! That was actually my first thought too. To just put an actual dog crate in that space... but our dog is a 50lb Pitbull. We have a very similar crate that he currently sleeps in at night, but it wouldn't easily fit in the van, it is huge and heavy. 

I am thinking something more that can turn the entire front cab area into a "dog kennel" when we are not driving. And something that would double as a [almost] back support for him to rest against when we ARE driving to make sure he doesn't slide to the back of the van when we accelerate.

Any additional thoughts?

Well actually our girls ride on the sofa while we are underway. . .they've been trained to get in their "travel bed".  At night they both sleep on our Queen size bed which makes up from the "travel bed" sofa during the day.  That's why we went with a B+ instead of a B.  We had looked hard at Airstream Interstate and Pleasure-Way, but since we often extend our trips to multiple months, we went for a bit more space.  We love the slide out.  But, that's us.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived