Windows 10 security: Here's how to shield your files from ransomware, says Microsoft

RV_

After quietly infecting a million devices the Reaper botnet set to be worse than MIrai! reads one headline in ZDNet Tech today. At the same time I found an excellent security tool called Controlled Folder access and it can protect against ransomware from destroying your files!

It is only in the new Fall CReator's Update.

Excerpt:

" Microsoft explains how its next-gen security can protect files from being encrypted by ransomware extortionists.

With Microsoft making headway on the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update rollout, the new anti-ransomware feature, called Controlled folder access, is now becoming widely available.

It works by only allowing whitelisted apps to access files in the Controlled folder list. Users can add new folders to the protected zone and adjust which apps are authorized to access files in it.

Microsoft has been testing the feature with Windows Insiders since July but now it's making its way to the general public.

Consumers can enable the feature through the Windows Defender Security Center app by clicking the shield icon and toggling on Controlled folder access. It automatically protects Windows system folders and default locations such as Documents, Pictures, Movies, and Desktop.

Users can also add other folders and other drives by clicking the shield icon in the Windows Defender Security Center and clicking through to the Virus and threat protection settings."

That article can be found here with a screen shot of the toggle. I just toggled it on in my main system and it didn't blow up or give a BSOD:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-security-heres-how-to-shield-your-files-from-ransomware-says-microsoft/?loc=newsletter_featured_related_listing&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

I didn't find it at first because there is one more link the author, Liam, left out.

Click on the Windows Defender shield in the task bar and that brings up the Security Center. Then click on the gear at the bottom left of the screen which brings up another scren with another big settings gear at the top left, click on the blue "Virus & Protection Settings" sentence just under the Windows Defender Antivirus notifications switch. Scroll down to the controlled folder access switch and switch it on.

It may cause issues or not but I am using it and will report back if anything is out of kilter because of it.

Be aware that MS is rolling out the Fall Creator's Update in a slow roll-out to keep their servers from melting. I circumvented the sytem and force installed it on my two All in One touch desktop systems, my three Windows Pro tablets, and the one Voyo Mini PC. Even the mini updated fine albeit a long update for its little 32 bit system with only 2GB of RAM, 64GB of SSD, and an Atom quad core.

Good stuff Maynard!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW,

No issues here with it as of one day having it toggled on.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived