12 Volt Coffee Maker

oldjohnt

dzwiss - glad you agree. Love coffee from a French Press but it takes a lot of water to clean one out. The Aeropress is just slam the plunger and the cake of dregs flies out. Cleaning is just a wipe with a paper towel. 

I had a relation in law who was born in Cuba and let me know that most folks in US drank weak coffee. I put half a cup of espresso in a French Press and a few tablespoons of instant as well. He let me know that is was quite strong enough - and requested a bit of milk be added.

Reed and Elaine

• 4 years later...

My wife got me a 12-volt coffee maker fr my birthday last year, and it was one of the best gifts I ever received. It was a Makita DCM501Z, and it's considered the best 12-volt dual coffee maker. I'm the kind of person who loves to spend time outdoors, and I think that the perfect vacation is either going RVing or camping for a few days. Brewing a fresh cup of coffee while I'm on the go is the best thing ever. I don't have to worry about finding a coffee shop wherever I am. Plus, nothing tastes better than a hot cup of coffee in the breast of nature.

Edited by evelyco

When we started out we could not find our grandmother's dripolator to take with us for coffee when we had no hookups for our fiver.

We don't like the "boiled" taste of percolated coffee.

These have become scarce and we could not find one until we got to Oregon on our fist year out in 1997. It is a stove top dripolator that is very simple. Granny would turn the heat down very low after it was made and had just a bit of one side of the pot over the flame, set off to the side of the gas stove burner grate to keep it warm but not boil.

Loads of them were turned in during WWII for the war effort as they were aluminum which was needed for aircraft and other wartime uses. Momma didn't mind because she wanted one of the new-fangled stainless steel electric percolators.

I was so impressed because it made coffee as good or better than our electric drip machines. You can use coarse ground coffee or fine ground and use a paper filter. So whenever I ran across one reasonably priced at Goodwill or yard sales I bought it and now have a collection of seven missing one lid. As well I have one top half, which is the hard part to come by, for when I find a bottom pot it fits. They can also be bought new in stainless steel.

Here's a video of how it works which is about the same as all dripolators although the coffee compartment may be slightly different.

Here is a picture of my collection:

10VxoRkl.jpg

Ifg the power is ever out we still have coffee. For boondocking with an RV, camping with a propane stove, or over a campfire and grate, these make a great cuppa. No power needed, no glass to break, easy to use and clean up, no filters needed with the right grind but they work great with paper filters which is how we use them, and they are very light and compact.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, evelyco said:

My wife got me a 12-volt coffee maker fr my birthday last year, and it was one of the best gifts I ever received. It was a Makita DCM501Z, and it's considered the best 12-volt dual coffee maker.

At $100+ for the coffee maker, plus $70 for the 12-volt CXT battery and charger, it's pretty pricey for a one cup machine. And with the 18-volt setup that works faster, the price tag is around $300.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 10/28/2017 at 7:15 PM, reed and elaine said:

dzwiss - glad you agree. Love coffee from a French Press but it takes a lot of water to clean one out. The Aeropress is just slam the plunger and the cake of dregs flies out. Cleaning is just a wipe with a paper towel.

I purchased an AeroPress a couple years ago at Target. The store did not carry the filters for it. About the only redeeming feature was that it was quick. People claimed that the coffee was much better. I was underwhelmed. I use a French press and have no problem cleaning it. When at home I just add some water and pour the grounds down the drain. I don't advise this for an RV. When camped I just add some water and heave the grounds outside.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN